E-readers

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself an e-reader. I have no need for a complicated I-pad, but an affordable e-reader tablet with perhaps WiFi seems an ideal companion for holidays. The supply of e-books is also on the rise.

Can anyone recommend one for me? And what about compatibility: can the e-books I upload be uploaded in a future generation tablet, even from a different brand?

I've been looking at Amazon's Kindle, anybody have experience with that one?

Any help is much appreciated!

I would buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab straight away to be honest, all in one for about 350dollars, about 150 dollars more expensive then the best e-readers out there but if you insist on not getting an all in one package and just the e-reader then Amazon Kindle is a good choice I take it, with WIFI and 3G.

But wouldnt it be smarter to get the samsung tab instead? :) (not 100% it has e-book though, would have to google that).

Amazon Kindle as mentioned before is supposed to be one of the better ones at least.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-ebook-readers/

Ive a samsung galaxy tab and would recomend it. Been massively impressed with it so far. It doez have ereaders, ru.s on android and has plenty on that. Got kindle on it and a few others.

Edited by dkw

My wife has a kindle and the Sony e-reader. She enjoys both.

I think the question you have to answer is whether or not you want e-ink or not. E-ink will be better for reading in the sunlight and will have a longer battery life. A tablet is more versatile and allow you to do other things, like play Angry Birds if you like. :)

Val

If it is reading books that is your main priority then go for the Kindle. It has the best selection of books - much better than the Sony Reader - and is the best solution for reading outside.

The iPad and the Galaxy TAB are both really good and you can get a Kindle app which lets you read your Kindle books and keeps them sync'd across all your devices.

But unless you want all the other things that a tablet lets you do, the Kindle is the way to go. It's also a lot cheaper and has much better battery life.

Well, the die has been cast: I've ordered the Kindle, with a lighted leather cover in a colour that hopefully resembles Chelsea blue ;) . I can't wait to get my hands on it and panic because it's not immediately clear to me how it works :)

Thanks everybody for your advice!

Edited by Valerie