You cant win when the goalposts are always moving

BumsteadCFC

I know Im not the only one who feels this way.

Notice this: We have, for the last 15 odd years fielded a very cosmopolitan/multicultural team from many backgrounds/ethnicities.

Has anybody ever given us credit for that? Have they f**k. Excuse the French, instead its "Chelsea are too foreign" "not English" we have ALWAYS been slagged off for that. In my eyes that is xenophobia, its not as if only Englishmen should be allowed to wear our sacred shirt. Likewise weve been criticised for being owned by a Russian as if a foreigner should not be allowed to run our sacred institution.

Now, when suits the medias anti Chelsea agenda they are quick to criticise us for "blanket support for JT".

Well if they are gonna slag us off for supporting an alleged racist then in the interests of fairness they should also credit us with employing a very multucultural playing staff and having a foreign owner. Like hell they will.

Look there are times we as a club deserve criticism BUT I hate the way that whatever we do we can never ever win. And that is why I hate the anti Chelsea media, no matter what we do the goalposts will always be moved. The fact is we do not get fair treatment from the media and likely never will. So f**k em and their spiteful agendas.

Please post below if you agree and once again Merry Xmas and Carefree New Year

Yeah, they don't like our success and will try any petty tactics to derail it. We will never win until the media gets bored and moves on to its next hate target which is usually one of our players anyway so there is no point in getting wound up over it.

Shock horror! You read it here first! The British gutter press are (is?) inconsistent! Stop buying the stuff! You can go into any supermarket and buy rolls of nice soft paper which serves a far more useful function than the Daily Mail/Mirror/Express/Sun etc

Think of all the trees you could save by never again buying one of these rags!

I read some jaw-dropping stuff on the Suarez thread on RAWK, where people were arguing that Suarez was being 'crucified' in the media' whereas Terry was being portrayed as heroic. They were complaining that articles on Suarez were open for public comment whereas the Terry ones were not (being to thick to realise why). It's all about perspective, but I find it astonsihing that Liverpool fans can see a trace of pro-CFC coverage in the media.

I read some jaw-dropping stuff on the Suarez thread on RAWK, where people were arguing that Suarez was being 'crucified' in the media' whereas Terry was being portrayed as heroic. They were complaining that articles on Suarez were open for public comment whereas the Terry ones were not (being to thick to realise why). It's all about perspective, but I find it astonsihing that Liverpool fans can see a trace of pro-CFC coverage in the media.

The sentimental 'victim' mentality seems ingrained in their psyche. In the past there was always a lot of sectarianism in their support which reflected the divisions in the city itself, and this seems to have fed into a 'them and us' mentality regardless of the reality of the situation.

Granted they received their fair share of negative reporting when Liverpool were managed by Benitez but under 'King' Kenny Dalglish everything in the garden is rosy as far as the media is concerned. Imagine if AVB had sanctioned Chelsea players wearing t-shirts supporting Terry and then had worn one himself in the post-match interview. The uproar and ridicule from the press would have been deafening and he would have been castigated as some sort of mad dictator figure who was losing the plot ... yet Dalglish gets away with it.

The moaning about the press is getting old tbh. They do it to all clubs. Their goal is to stir sh*t and sell papers. The scoucers are getting hammered at the moment for their collective stupidity. Sooner or later anyone that matters becomes subject to their bullsh*t. Stop taking it so personally.

Imagine if AVB had sanctioned Chelsea players wearing t-shirts supporting Terry and then had worn one himself in the post-match interview. The uproar and ridicule from the press would have been deafening and he would have been castigated as some sort of mad dictator figure who was losing the plot ... yet Dalglish gets away with it.

I think he's been pretty widely condemned for that stunt, to be fair.

The moaning about the press is getting old tbh. They do it to all clubs. Their goal is to stir sh*t and sell papers. The scoucers are getting hammered at the moment for their collective stupidity. Sooner or later anyone that matters becomes subject to their bullsh*t. Stop taking it so personally.

Easier said than done tho mate. When you have to read and hear this sh*t year in year out for 30+ years it gets on your tits. I take your point all the same.

The media always have and always will be anti-Chelsea.

- They blamed us for hooliganism

- Blamed us for racism on the terraces

- They never forgave us for becoming the first English team to field a foreign XI and "killing the English game"

- They hate us because of Roman and the money he invested in the club leaving their beloved northern clubs in the dust

When it comes to Chelsea and the media you can't win.

Edited by Myles_91

I've said this many times but if you go to any forum of any club you will find that the general sentiment is that the media are anti their club, and that UEFA or the FA fix their draws to hurt their club, and that the refs give them nothing etc, etc.

Feel free to post below, totally bereft of irony, that it's WORSE for Chelsea.

I've said this many times but if you go to any forum of any club you will find that the general sentiment is that the media are anti their club, and that UEFA or the FA fix their draws to hurt their club, and that the refs give them nothing etc, etc.

"Hostile Media" Bias

The phenomenon extends to outside football as well. Left-wingers complain the media is conservative; Right-wingers complain the media is liberal.

The important thing to note is that confirmation biases such as this one describe the phenomenon where people give too much weight to negative opinion and subconsciously ignore positive opinion.

That said there is often a grain of truth in such media conspiracies- there are instances where a club has had a mini-agenda set against it or for it. A corporatised media has but one goal with shifting goalposts- profit. Profit is what drives editorial slant- whatever creates controversy, entertainment or interest ultimately leads to money.

The important thing to note is that confirmation biases such as this one describe the phenomenon where people give too much weight to negative opinion and subconsciously ignore positive opinion.

3 months after John Terry missed a penalty to win the Champions League people were posting that the draw for the next competition would be fixed as usual as there is no way UEFA would ever let us win their competition.

???? Made no mention of UEFA or the FA.

Remember after the playoff defeat v Boro in 88 the newspaper report that Chelsea hooligans tried to throw a kid over a 70 foot wall? Ridiculous load of bollocks.

Then another classic was that Chelsea fans pushed disabled Southampton fans off the top tier stand at the Dell by their wheelchairs. You cant get a wheelchair onto the 2nd tier of a stand, it was just bollocks.

What about when Bates banned the TV cameras in the 80s because he was sick of the slanted and biased anti media coverage Chelsea got. He wrote about it in his programme column.

There is no doubt in my mind that about 80% of the people who commentate on our games are biased against us. I think that's pretty obvious.

While I'm not exposed quite as much to the British tabloid media and reporting, I see enough of it. Knowing that every club's supporters will think their club gets negative press, I can say with confidence that Chelsea seems to have the most consistent negative reporting. As much as I hate it, I've also grown to like it in a way. I think it gives an "us against the world" feeling and is a part of our identity now. It also makes me feel smarter than those who point out false flaws and blow non-stories out of proportion haha.

http://www.oocities.org/englandandotherhooligans/SoccerThugs.html

^ This is precisely the type of media bias Im referring to "SOCCER THUGS BID TO KILL CHILD" reads the headline, however nothing in the article supports their contention that Chelsea fans tried to actually KILL a 10 year old boy.

Then you had the Yorkshire Evening Post a few years back reporting that Roman wanted/planned to KILL Ken Bates, he sued them and won damages and an apology.

Course we are targeted by the media, slagging off Chelsea is the epitome of lazy journalism.

Edited by BumsteadCFC