Summer Tour

ace

Great for our surprisingly large stateside following but I wish that we could have a sensible north European based pre-season. I feel that especially in this period of apparent transition it would be wise to keep the traveling and PR work to a minimum. We'd also perhaps benefit from keeping all our staff in a place where transfer dealings can be conducted more easily. But I guess the commercial interests of the club take precedence over the football preparation. At least the opposition might be better than what we faced in the far east.

Great for our surprisingly large stateside following but I wish that we could have a sensible north European based pre-season. I feel that especially in this period of apparent transition it would be wise to keep the traveling and PR work to a minimum. We'd also perhaps benefit from keeping all our staff in a place where transfer dealings can be conducted more easily. But I guess the commercial interests of the club take precedence over the football preparation. At least the opposition might be better than what we faced in the far east.

I'm very excited to see them play, but I understand what you are saying. Although the last time we did a preseason in the USA, we won the title that year...

I'm only 2 hours from chicago so that would be unreal, but it doesn't matter where they play, ill go see them.

I'll be seeing them as well no matter where, unless it's the west coast.

Maybe some of us could meet up and grab a beer before the match?

Nah - a game in Seattle or Vancouver I'm happy with and will happily do the trip! :biggrin:

Not saying I won't be there, but I definitely need misses permission and that's more of a 50/50 elsewhere it's a guarantee. :biggrin:

Edited by Arq

The 'Chelsea in America' fan club will be sorting out tickets. Last time we had 'an end' at all the games. And what a hoot it was! A mix of old ex pat Chelsea fans, traveling British fans, and new American fans. Lots of flags, songs, and usually a pub or two reserved for us.

We filled all the stadiums. Including that massive indoor monstrosity in Dallas. Where Frankie and JT were reprimanded for trying to hit the giant TV screen with a ball during the pre match warm up.

A game against the scousers... cool! Cant wait! Better not park my car near the stadium though. Want to keep my hub caps!

Edited by flyrr100

My best chance to go is Chicago, I'm a pretty short flight from there. What's interesting is that the proposed stadiums are baseball ones at the moment. I can't imagine that being true for 2 reasons:

1. Baseball will be going on in the summer, obviously, so to have to make a bunch of modifications for a couple games just to change it back for the Cubs game the next night doesn't make much sense.

2. Baseball stadiums are small. Less people = less money. I'd guess that if we play in Chicago, it would be at Soldier Field, where the Bears play at.

My best chance to go is Chicago, I'm a pretty short flight from there. What's interesting is that the proposed stadiums are baseball ones at the moment. I can't imagine that being true for 2 reasons:

1. Baseball will be going on in the summer, obviously, so to have to make a bunch of modifications for a couple games just to change it back for the Cubs game the next night doesn't make much sense.

2. Baseball stadiums are small. Less people = less money. I'd guess that if we play in Chicago, it would be at Soldier Field, where the Bears play at.

They'd play at Soldier Field. I went to the USAv Poland game and there was a good crowd. I saw them in 09 in Dallas. New cowboys stadium sucks to watch soccer

The 'Chelsea in America' fan club will be sorting out tickets. Last time we had 'an end' at all the games. And what a hoot it was! A mix of old ex pat Chelsea fans, traveling British fans, and new American fans. Lots of flags, songs, and usually a pub or two reserved for us.

We filled all the stadiums. Including that massive indoor monstrosity in Dallas. Where Frankie and JT were reprimanded for trying to hit the giant TV screen with a ball during the pre match warm up.

A game against the scousers... cool! Cant wait! Better not park my car near the stadium though. Want to keep my hub caps!

Met a load of you In Seattle and then made the walk to the ground with some of you all. Good atmosphere and hope that the team could make the trip to Seattle again. Good following for Soccer in that city, and they opened up the entire stadium for that match...think they took in around 50k fans for the game

Will be great if Chelsea come to Chicago again. I'm based here now and have fond memories of their last trip here (apart from the result since we lost 1-0 to the MLS Allstars). We should try and organize a ShedEnd meetup before the game.

Forbzy - where do you watch matches in Chicago if not at your residence? I caught the Inter/Bayern CL final at the Globe Pub 2 years ago and enjoyed myself. I also went to watch a USA Gold Cup match at some bar that was supposed to be for USA supporters and found it to be an overly expensive restaurant masquerading as a "soccer" pub.

Regarding the proposed Chelsea match, I usually go out near Wrigley or Lincoln Park areas when I'm in Chicago, I don't know much about what's around Soldier Field.

Forbzy - where do you watch matches in Chicago if not at your residence? I caught the Inter/Bayern CL final at the Globe Pub 2 years ago and enjoyed myself. I also went to watch a USA Gold Cup match at some bar that was supposed to be for USA supporters and found it to be an overly expensive restaurant masquerading as a "soccer" pub.

Regarding the proposed Chelsea match, I usually go out near Wrigley or Lincoln Park areas when I'm in Chicago, I don't know much about what's around Soldier Field.

I live pretty central so I have quite a few options. My mate owns the Globe and I know a lot of the regulars there so I would probably chose to go it over most others. The Small Bar in Wicker Park is also worth a mention. A smaller crowd but they are very enthusiastic about their footie.

For Soldier Field there are a few options but a popular choice is Bar Louie in Dearborn Station. Its walking distance to the stadium from there. When the Fire played their home games at Soldier Field it was always busy pre-match.

The Globe usually put on buses for big games and do a package including round trip transport, beer on bus, and ticket for game. Can't beat that :)

• 1 month later...

I understand all you midwesterners wanting Chicago. But the 'Fire' stadium is in the middle of bleedin' nowhere! I remember the MLS all stars game a few years ago. There was a good turnout of Chelsea fans, but not a pub within 2-3 miles! Now Baltimore on the other hand. We had a great time there.

I did hear a rumor of the MLS all-star game being played in Philly. But their stadium is in the middle of a big industrial area. Miles and miles from downtown.

Edited by flyrr100

Nah - a game in Seattle or Vancouver I'm happy with and will happily do the trip! :biggrin:

You may have gotten your wish: Seattle, DC, and NYC are the cities from what I've read. I was really hoping for Chicago (or KC) for a cheap trip.