Our Finances - The Challenges Ahead

abramovich

Adroitly admoinished.

"admoinished"? Is that "admonished" in an Australian accent?

But there are too many things getting lumped together in threads which become all-purpose repetitive moans. It's good sometimes to have a separate thread for a sub-topic.

I was actually amazed that I read to the end of that article and found it easy to assimilate. I usually end up with a dazed feelling in my brain before I have got very far down an article on finance. (I see they are now using "financials" as a noun as well as an adjective - strange!)

Ab - great idea to put this back in the frame again but don't you think it'd better placed in the "anyone not want us to get 4th" thread?

I have no problem if Mod decides to add this to the 4th place thread. I myself hate when there's too many threads dedicated to the same subject.

I think something that has to be considered is the comparison between missing out on the top 4 and the cost of hiring a new manager.

If we assume that getting in Benitez/Mourinho/Hiddink/Pep/A.N. Manager to finish off our season would guarantee us a top 4 finish (which it certainly doesn't), the cost of doing so would be covered by the £40m we'd earn from Champions League rights.

The cost of sacking AVB and hiring lets say Benitez (as he's the most strongly linked right now) could come up to £20m, but worse than that, as the article says, we wouldn't be able to exclude the 'exceptional expenses' from the FFP calculations, so the cost of sacking Carlo and hiring AVB would come back in, so that's an added £25m. So if Champions League football is guaranteed by getting a new coach in, we'd lose £5m in pure financial terms.

There are obviously other things to consider, there's the prestige and the ability to sign new players that comes with Champions League football, but there's also the fact that we'll once again have sacked a manager quickly and we'll be seen as an 'unstable' entity for any player looking to sign for us. It's a tough one but personally I think if the board said they backed AVB, even privately it would give us as much of a boost as a new manager would, assuming AVB plays it right. It's something I'd rather see, anyway.

The ideal scenario is that we keep AVB, the board privately back him, he tells the press he has the board's backing and the players begin to listen, work for their places and then we manage to scrape 4th on the last day of the season a la 02/03 (I think?). That'll do nicely.

The ideal scenario is that we keep AVB, the board privately back him, he tells the press he has the board's backing and the players begin to listen, work for their places and then we manage to scrape 4th on the last day of the season a la 02/03 (I think?). That'll do nicely.

Oh dear, famous last words, Eggy! But you were right - just a shame Roman didn't consult you!

Edited by moi