What Roman Needs To Do.

shedpensioner

We all know that Roman is not a sentimental man, but we also know that on certain matters he can be a very stubborn man.

I think the time has come for him to make sweeping changes at the club, those changes probably need to be from top to bottom and they must not include any of Roman's 'friends' or 'advisors'

The board: What do these men know about football, how did they get their jobs?

The board at this club should IMO consist of:

Chairman: Roman Abromovich

Cheif Executive: Someone with genuine knowledge of the business side of football also an in depth knowledge of players contracts.

Director of Football: A link between the manager and the board, not a link between the board and the manager. Someone who is respected within football, not someone who coached under 12 girls (or whatever it was) If this person could also have a link to the club, that would be fantastic, without knowing his full credentials I'll put forward Paul Elliott.

Commercial director: Actually whoever we have seems to be doing a good job at the moment, they get to stay! :smile:

Director Of Communications: A respected figure from the world of P.R should be head hunted for this role, we need to be shown in a better light, at the moment we are a joke in European football.

2 x Non-Executive Directors: These would have no real power but be on the board to provide balance, 1 should be a club legend, the other in my opinion should come from the fans and be voted on every 3 years.

Next we come onto the management of the footballing side:

Football Club Manager: In my opinion their is now only 1 man for the job, I don't think he'll take it but Roman and the new board must beg Jose Mourinho to take over the club, not as a coach, but as the Manager. If as I suspect Jose can't be persuaded the new manager must have a knowledge of what it takes to succeed in the Premier League.

Football Coaches: whoever the manager deems to be fit, however the Director of football should have an input as the aim should be to have a club that plays in 1 style, not changes per team, movement up to the first team should be almost seamless.

Football Acadamy manager: A respected coach who can oversee the acadamy and ensure player development, also with the Football Club Manager this person should oversee the sale of players not deemed to be of the standard for the first team, and bringing in players from other acadamies.

Football Scouting: A network of past players and coaches, overseen by the Acadamy Manager and Football Club Manager, if a player is identified by the scouts or managers, he should be watched by at least 2 seperate scouts and a manager before being considered for transfer into the club.

now onto playing staff:

We have got a completely inbalanced squad, we need to move certain players on, including some younger players who have been at the club for years but don't seem to be making any kind of break through into the first team. I know this may seem harsh, but we're in FFP now, we can't afford any passengers.

Here will be the toughest part for Roman, he must distance himself from the Football element of the football club and concentrate on running the football club and sticking to the things he knows about.

I genuinely believe that the club is at a crossroads in the RA era, we need to make the right turn or things could get worse.

That's quite a wish list.

I think RA, being one of the richest men on the planet, is used to having things the way he wants them. He's also used to people doing what he tells them, regardless of their opinion, qualifications, or experience - I think RA is far too egotistical, a control-freak and verging on narcissistic.

They way he sees it, Chelsea FC is HIS to do with as he sees fit. The fans are just cash-cows. The board and staff are his unquestioning minions. All who challenge him are discarded without due ceremony.

The structure you describe is preferable from a fan's and manager's point of view, but not from RA's. That my friend, is why it will always be a pipe dream!

Guest RFC_CFC
Roman quite simply needs to employ a good manager and let him pick the team

Pretty much and maybe let them decide on who comes in instead of spending a fortune on Sheva and Torres who neither manager at the time fancied.

That's quite a wish list.

I think RA, being one of the richest men on the planet, is used to having things the way he wants them. He's also used to people doing what he tells them, regardless of their opinion, qualifications, or experience - I think RA is far too egotistical, a control-freak and verging on narcissistic.

They way he sees it, Chelsea FC is HIS to do with as he sees fit. The fans are just cash-cows. The board and staff are his unquestioning minions. All who challenge him are discarded without due ceremony.

The structure you describe is preferable from a fan's and manager's point of view, but not from RA's. That my friend, is why it will always be a pipe dream!

Roman quite simply needs to employ a good manager and let him pick the team

Oh I know, I just felt the need to express my current view of the situation!

My initial wish for Abramovich would be simply to hear something from him. If not a verbal statement, then a written or at least dictated statement.

He's now been the owner of the club for nigh on a decade, and in that time I can't remember a single direct football or even club related quote from him. The only time I've ever heard his voice was in a youtube clip of his recent court appearance.

This total lack of communication leaves the door wide open for all manner of wild speculation, and the media being what it is, much of this speculation is malicious in nature. And human nature being what it is, all too much of this wild speculation insinuates itself into popular mythology, becoming accepted as fact in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

I understand that Abramovich is not the most outgoing of characters, that he has an aversion to public appearances. Well that's fine. But he is the owner of Chelsea FC, and as such I think he has an obligation to make his feelings known, to make some form of communication with the supporters - via the occasional statement or interview on the official site, for instance - rather than merely existing as some shadowy figurehead, sometimes seen at matches, but never heard, and rarely if ever directly quoted.

I genuinely believe that the club is at a crossroads in the RA era, we need to make the right turn or things could get worse.

I agree with this 100%. This is a fear that has been lingering in my mind for a while. The reason we are at a crossroads is because the once unbreakable spine of our team is fractured and seemingly surplus to requirements. It was this spine which was the only source of stability in the club over the last 8 years amid all the other chaos. Without that spine, and without a new core ready to replace it, where will the stability come from? This worries me massively.

Nothings going to change at CFC, all the time Roman keeps sacking managers we'll go backwards.

Look at it this way come May we'll have won one title in 7 years, now surley that isnt good enough given the money the club/Roman has spent, in that time Utd have won 5 & City 1.

We've spent £ms to make us a cup(s) winning side which winning cups is obviously brilliant but we really should be either winning or at least challenging for more league titles than we have/are at the moment imo.

Here we are again, come the summer ANOTHER new manager/backroom staff with a ready made squad & poss one or two new signings, the manager will be expected to win us the pl or CL, look at how hard it is to win the CL, Arsenal been trying for 16+yrs & managed one final, Utd won it twice Liverpool once yet both have been in the comp for 16+yrs, yet a new boss is expected to win it, yeah righto, if it goes tits up for what ever reason or his face dont fit like RDM's then its back to ANOTHER manager sacked & the circus contiues..... all the while Utd will carryon challenging for titles.

What a sad state of affairs, Chelsea FC should have dominated English football for years to come, like Utd did in the 90s, instead we're a money making machine for managers who may be or may not be good enough yet are never given the chance to put their own stamp on the club & re-build, look at Carlo won the double yet a yr later, sacked.

No other club would act the way we do, if it wasnt so pathetic it'd be funny.

I don't know about everything you have put but an absolute ESSENTIAL is sorting out this club's PR. The way we are treated and reported in the media is a disgrace or to quote Drogba, "it's a f**king disgrace"!! A lot of the negativity and sometimes scandalous lies contributes to fans getting more worked up than they need to and it seems like everything they report about us is negative. It's often forgotten, but it's the media who start reporting that X manager is facing the sack and then they get sacked, it's like they start the ball rolling putting the manager under pressure and then the club panics. Man United would not put up with half of what we do, I wish the club would grow a backbone. 

Those wanting Roman to put neutral people in charge of the club and not his friends and advisers are totally misguided. If you are going to put £1bm of your own cash into something, you're not going to hand it over to people you don't trust or know are you? Also you have to take into account his background, he's Russian and in Russia you trust no-one. RA has a very different culture to our own. In his recent case at the High Court, he listed Chelsea FC under his 'charitable interests', he does not view the club as a business, it's a hobby. Remember when he first bought the club he said, "this about about achieving success and having fun along the way". Bruce Buck said, "this is not about business or making money, this is about fun" or words to that effect.

What Roman needs to do:

1). Remove Rafa Benitez at the end of the season as manager, and do everything in his power to appoint Real Madrid manager, Jose Mourinho.

2). If Mourinho decides to return, he must be given full control of transfers and management of the club. Mourinho's demise at Chelsea was a result of too much interference from the board. 

3). Apologise to the supporters for the way the club handled the RDM sacking in the middle of the season when it wasn't justified.

4). Renew the contracts of Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole immediately. Give both players 2 year contracts. They're still assets to the club.

5). Acknowledge that Fernando Torres will never return to his best and decide to sell him at the end of the season.

6). Recommend to Jose (if manager) that both Falcao and Fellaini should be pursued, but the final decision comes from Jose and his management.

7). As Tommy pointed out earlier, he needs to interact with the fans more often, or else they'll feel disillusioned.

8). Sack Ron Gourlay and Bruce Buck and replace them with knowledgeable football people and those that care about the club.

9). Acknoweledge that he should have no interference with the transfers except for writing up the cheques.

10). If unable to obtain Mourinho, pursue Klopp from Dortmund or go with Pep as intended. All the other points written above would apply to these managers as well when it comes to transfers and management. 

11). After appointing a manager, stay loyal to him for at least 3 years, unless the results on the pitch become so poor (e.g. Relegation)

If all this can be done, Chelsea Football Club can be the best in the world.

Archived