Footballer's Nicknames.

alan'82
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Do you remember when it was quite common for footballers to have nicknames?.

For instance,our own Ron 'Chopper' Harris, Peter 'The Cat' Bonetti & Ray 'Butch' Wilkins to name a few.

It seams players appeared to have more character then & compare to today, the game seams a bit bland & sterile.

I asked my bruv (I shoud've known it would be a mistake) what nickname I would have if I ever made it as a top level pro.

I can't repeat his first comment in decent company but after some thought he replied 'The Onion'...

His explaned it was because I'm often pickled & my football skill makes him weep.

That's a bloody Hammers fan for you.

But which players today would suit a nickname & what would they be?.

oh blimey.. are you talking about Chelsea players ? and nice nicknames,  Otherwise we could be here all day

Sorry Andy if I didn't make it clear but it doesn't matter if it's Chelsea players or not (or if you want to keep it nice :wink:).

For example: I used to nickname ex Chelsea winger Arjen Robben 'The Cream Egg' because he looked hard on the outside but had a soft centre.

We call spuds Gareth Bale 'The Submarine' because all he likes to do is dive,dive,dive.

I call Rafa Benitez 'The f**king Arsehole'.

Geddit?.