Solanke

Zola

Chelsea teenager Dominic Solanke scored England's only goal in normal time as the Three Lions' young side beat Holland in the under-17 European Championship Final.

England won 4-1 on penalties after drawing 1-1 on the night, with Solanke scoring his 31st goal for club and country in all competitions.

Solanke, 16, finished the tournament as joint top goalscorer with four goal, shared with Holland's Jari Schuurman.

And the teenager made sure fans knew just how jubilant he was after the wild trophy celebrations, by sending a message which would resonate with fans of his club.

CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE!! #EUROS

— Dom Solanke (@DomSolanke) May 21, 2014 >

The 'Champions of Europe, We know what we are', chant became a theme for Chelsea fans to sing in 2012/13 after their Champions League win against Bayern in 2012.

Solanke's performances have been widely praised in the tournament, with clubmate Izzy Brown also impressing.

It certainly appears the FA Youth Cup winner is on his way to the top, he just needs to work his way past the queue of forwards in front of him in Chelsea's youth ranks.

Yeah a really neat finisher. It's difficult to say if he can make it here, I do consider Feruz and Brown to be bigger talents. Worth keeping an eye on.

Brown I can see, but Feruz? Borderline championship player imo. Has nothing in his arsenal but speed.

Brown I can see, but Feruz? Borderline championship player imo. Has nothing in his arsenal but speed.

I beg to differ. He is a little powerhouse with a really powerful shot on him and he can finish from just about anywhere. Speed isn't really a big part of his game.

I beg to differ. He is a little powerhouse with a really powerful shot on him and he can finish from just about anywhere. Speed isn't really a big part of his game.

Trouble with Feruz  I feel, is he is highly inconsistent & suffers from lack of confidence, if he misses a easy goal scoring chance early on

that is his game over, scores then it is a different Feruz we see, feel Solanke is a much better prospect in our youth set up.

Also we have a abundance of very good young prospects in our academy's, what with 4 17 year olds playing in our victorious under 21 final side.  

next 2 or 3 years are crucial in his development.

Hopefully he is aiming to be a footballer rather than a celebrity and can get his head down and stay away from the West end and other temptations. Would be great to see him leading the line for us one day because he obviously has loads of potential

Trouble with Feruz I feel, is he is highly inconsistent & suffers from lack of confidence, if he misses a easy goal scoring chance early on

that is his game over, scores then it is a different Feruz we see, feel Solanke is a much better prospect in our youth set up.

Also we have a abundance of very good young prospects in our academy's, what with 4 17 year olds playing in our victorious under 21 final side.

Agreed about the inconsistency. He seems a touch temperamental but still have high hopes for him.

Archived