Debunking the "Oscar plays better for Brazil" myth.

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I can't deny that of late Oscar hasn't been living up to expectations. I'm not so sure whether it actually is a myth that he's better for Brazil though.

Also accepting that stats can be massively misleading, go to the above link (this one) and add a few more stats.

Oscar's total performance score, defence score, and attack score are all better for Brazil than with Chelsea.

He should try to play in central midfield instead of on the wing or as #10. I don't think he has the vision or creativity needed as a number 10 but has a lot of good qualities for a central midfielder.

I agree, good at reading the game but can't find that defence splitting pass.

I can't deny that of late Oscar hasn't been living up to expectations. I'm not so sure whether it actually is a myth that he's better for Brazil though.

Also accepting that stats can be massively misleading, go to the above link (this one) and add a few more stats.

Oscar's total performance score, defence score, and attack score are all better for Brazil than with Chelsea.

Also true, but hasn't been nearly as good as he can be.

You can't compare a performance over 4 games to those of 33 appearances in a season. 

If you use that same site to compare the same stats to this season and last season, he's actually improved. 

I think it's very difficult to prove a point one way or the other based on stats alone. 

You can't compare a performance over 4 games to those of 33 appearances in a season.

If you use that same site to compare the same stats to this season and last season, he's actually improved.

I think it's very difficult to prove a point one way or the other based on stats alone.

Exactly

Stats are there to backup opinions, that's all I'm doing!

Stats are there to backup opinions, that's all I'm doing!

But the stats you are using for your argument are not reflective of Oscar's overall contribution to Brazil where at one point he was consistently winning MOTM for them. 

To condense his 30+ appearances into the stats whilst at the World Cup is misleading.

But the stats you are using for your argument are not reflective of Oscar's overall contribution to Brazil where at one point he was consistently winning MOTM for them. 

To condense his 30+ appearances into the stats whilst at the World Cup is misleading.

I may have insinuated my opinion but I did ask the question & gave a comparison as some food for thought. Haven't stated my opinion, not trying to be ambiguous.

I may have insinuated my opinion but I did ask the question & gave a comparison as some food for thought. Haven't stated my opinion, not trying to be ambiguous.

Titling the thread "debunking the myth" means you are disproving something. 

In this case you were aiming to disprove Oscar plays better for Brazil than Chelsea and provided stats from the World Cup in comparison to league appearances for Chelsea. 

You did not insinuate, even if it was your intention to do so. 

He's been very average for both club and country this season.

First half of this season he was brilliant but his performance levels dropped off in the second half of the year. 

He needs to find a way to maintain the high levels of performance he showed at the beginning of the season 

Hopefully with Willian, Schurrle and Salah settled into the team now we rotate and manage the fitness of all the attacking midfielders and not rely on playing the same players each week. 

Guest RFC_CFC

First half of this season he was brilliant but his performance levels dropped off in the second half of the year.

He needs to find a way to maintain the high levels of performance he showed at the beginning of the season

Hopefully with Willian, Schurrle and Salah settled into the team now we rotate and manage the fitness of all the attacking midfielders and not rely on playing the same players each week.

Mourinho likes to play the same guys most weeks though.

I think Oscar was good at the start of the season but I'd not go as far to say he was 'brilliant' not like Hazard anyway. He's been really poor ever since the turn of the year and it shows no sign of changing. He was given a rest too but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The great thing is now we have Cesc who DOES score goals so we can bench Oscar if he's not at it like recent form suggests.

We need a huge improvement from all the attackers (bar Hazard) in terms of goals...it was only Hazard and Schurrle who really chipped in and given we spent £50-60 millon on Willain and Oscar you would expect a decent goal return from those players.

Now Lamps is gone we need goals more than ever, hopefully Costa and Cesc can help us in that regard too.

Mourinho likes to play the same guys most weeks though.

I think Oscar was good at the start of the season but I'd not go as far to say he was 'brilliant' not like Hazard anyway. He's been really poor ever since the turn of the year and it shows no sign of changing. He was given a rest too but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The great thing is now we have Cesc who DOES score goals so we can bench Oscar if he's not at it like recent form suggests.

We need a huge improvement from all the attackers (bar Hazard) in terms of goals...it was only Hazard and Schurrle who really chipped in and given we spent £50-60 millon on Willain and Oscar you would expect a decent goal return from those players.

Now Lamps is gone we need goals more than ever, hopefully Costa and Cesc can help us in that regard too.

8 goals in the league isn't an awful return from midfielder but because our strikers were so useless we putting pressure on the midfielders to come up with the goods. 

When Oscar came on against Southampton just after half time he completely changed the game, he does have good performances in him and as I said the first half of the season, for me, he was one of our strongest performers and central to a lot of the good things we was doing. 

I agree that the attacking midfielders all need to improve next season and I would even include Hazard in that, he also had his fair share of games in the tail end of the season where he was almost anonymous contributing very little of significance in attack.

I would expect to see Oscar in the starting XI at the start of the season but as you mentioned we now have the personnel if where he or any others aren't performing we have the players to come in and replace them.  

Guest RFC_CFC

It's not too bad but if you are going for the title you really need your central attacking mid to be scoring more than 8 especially since he started most of our games.

The worry for me is that he's had no break and his form is not changing, he seems to just drift out of games and you tend not to notice him at all recently. I keep going back to that Juve game...we just have not seen enough of those types of performance from him like that night...

We know he is capable that's what frustrates me, I too think he will start but not sure if it's for the best given how much he's played this season and the fatigue element?

Hazard does need to be involved more because he can be unstoppable one week then anonymous the other, some people have pointed out he does seems more effective when played in the middle...so maybe he can take that no 10 role if given the chance?

It's not too bad but if you are going for the title you really need your central attacking mid to be scoring more than 8 especially since he started most of our games.

The worry for me is that he's had no break and his form is not changing, he seems to just drift out of games and you tend not to notice him at all recently. I keep going back to that Juve game...we just have not seen enough of those types of performance from him like that night...

We know he is capable that's what frustrates me, I too think he will start but not sure if it's for the best given how much he's played this season and the fatigue element?

Hazard does need to be involved more because he can be unstoppable one week then anonymous the other, some people have pointed out he does seems more effective when played in the middle...so maybe he can take that no 10 role if given the chance?

Completely agree that we need to see more of those Juventus level performances.

It is staggering just how many games Oscar has played in such a short amount of time and you can't help thinking he would benefit from a summer without football having played in summer tournaments for the last four years but at the time I don't think it can be held up as something to let him off of bad performances because at 22 his body should be recovering and you would like to think that he would be dropped/rested by someone during that time if he was looking completely burned out.

I think next season might see us return to something more like 4-3-3 so I'm not sure Hazard will be played in the middle.

I think that Matic, Fabregas and Oscar will be played in a similar way to how Makalele, Essien and Lampard were when Jose was first here.

Matic plays the Makalele role of sitting and Oscar and Fabregas push forward but with Oscar taking on the Lampard type role of being the most attacking of the three.

I think that will allow Oscar to drop deeper where he often influences the game more by having more time and space to dictate the attacks.  

Completely agree that we need to see more of those Juventus level performances.

It is staggering just how many games Oscar has played in such a short amount of time and you can't help thinking he would benefit from a summer without football having played in summer tournaments for the last four years but at the time I don't think it can be held up as something to let him off of bad performances because at 22 his body should be recovering and you would like to think that he would be dropped/rested by someone during that time if he was looking completely burned out.

I think next season might see us return to something more like 4-3-3 so I'm not sure Hazard will be played in the middle.

I think that Matic, Fabregas and Oscar will be played in a similar way to how Makalele, Essien and Lampard were when Jose was first here.

Matic plays the Makalele role of sitting and Oscar and Fabregas push forward but with Oscar taking on the Lampard type role of being the most attacking of the three.

I think that will allow Oscar to drop deeper where he often influences the game more by having more time and space to dictate the attacks.  

Would make sense that he's trying to replicate that mould as we've signed Costa (Drogba), have a stable CB partnership in Terry & Cahill (Terry & Carvalho), signing Filipe Luis who like Azpilicueta can run the channels but offer stability defensively (Ferreira & Cole?), with fluid/dynamic wingers in Hazard & Schurrle/Willian/Salah (Duff & Robben).