Arjen Robben - an alternative view

Dorset

When Peter Kenyon puts in an appearance on Chelsea TV tonight one of the questions I?m hoping he answers is - just what is going on with Arjen Robben? - because some of us can?t remain loyal to his cause for much longer and others have already disowned him on grounds of ever diminishing usefulness. Naturally, I won?t hold my breath, for in-depth interview it will not be, and weeks of silence on the matter is never going to be followed by sudden PK enlightenment.

Transfer deals are like doors, they have hinges and in Robben?s case the ?hinges? can vary from whether or not he really wants to go, his father wants him to go, or he?s afraid of a little bit of competition. A few thousand pounds a week, on top of a contract culminating in millions a year might be a hinge factor, but everybody bar the Media doubts this and, even in their case, the thinking is selective when it comes to a Chelsea player compared to others, who always deserve, as opposed to demand, salary increases. You lose count of the number of times our players are greedy whilst others secure their long term future, but judgement on Arjen can?t be made by anybody yet and while we await an outcome it?s interesting to contrast Chelsea?s current policy over keeping or nurturing young players with that of our main rival. And no, Loz, I?m not going to use this as an opportunity to regurgitate the Tevez saga and serve it up in a different form, although the Argentinean does get a mention?

Granted that there is no real mileage for the Media in massive coverage of the early days of our academy, or our efforts to develop talent throughout all the age ranges, but ManU are nevertheless forever feted on the subject, following their ?golden generation? of the late Nineties, and it?s galling to have this perpetuated at a time when their policy is clearly changing. For example, Giuseppe Rossi is sold to Villarreal for something in the region of ?7m and there is no mass Media outcry along the lines of ? twenty year old starlet allowed to go? or ?United now grooming players just to sell them on?. Admittedly, you can see why the club have done it - he has immense talent (ask Pauly), but failed to impress on loan at Newcastle and Fergie obviously believes him to be too lightweight to succeed in the Premiership when compared to the more streetwise Tevez.

So, after scoring for fun in their reserves and not getting a real chance at Premiership level, Rossi becomes just a good bit of business, as was Richardson to Sunderland and not long ago the midfielder Jones to Derby, who chose to be part of their promotion winning team while United forked out a fortune for Carrick. As if that evidence of Media myopia wasn?t enough, Nani and Anderson arrive to a fanfare trumpeting United?s great signings for the future - a massive statement of intent, I recall - but no mention of the shift towards chequebook diplomacy for supremacy.

Developing this theme and the change in policy further, let?s imagine how Fergie would have reacted if faced with the Robben issue. Well, doubtless a new contract would have been on the table in a trice, utilising the no longer required Malouda transfer monies, and Scott Sinclair would have been on his bike to any club who didn?t pose a threat, but had a spare ?6 million to spend. Naturally, there wouldn?t be a squeak out of the Media, except from Sky Sports News welcoming the signing of a new improved contract which secured the future of one of the world?s finest stars (we are imagining him as a United player, don?t forget) who would now grace the Premiership for many years to come (remember, his diving would be completely ignored) and continue the tradition of truly great wingers Manchester United have had over the years?who could forget George Best??need I go on?

Okay, it has taken ages to get round to it I know, but my point is that Kenyon may have dithered over Robben?s future at Chelsea, but, looking at the bigger picture, we do have a sturdier model than him already in place in Malouda and a potentially speedier, younger model in the garage called Sinclair, so the Chief Exec can afford to play a waiting game, if that is what he has done. Then again, the whole business may well have been settled ages ago and, as usual, we are the last to know until it is reported as Real getting their man, or Chelsea giving in to Robben?s wage demands.

I've always been a big Robben fan, but i dont want anybody at the club who does'nt want to be there. That is the key for me, if he wants to go then we must make sure we get the best price for him and while all this drags on his value as slowly crept up, so maybe the waiting game(much like us trying to get Essein) is'nt such a bad one to play.

I would though hope its sorted one way or another before the season kicks off. I'd still like him to sign a new contract, get fit(and hopefully stay that way) knuckle down and help us win back the league.

I've always been a big Robben fan, but i dont want anybody at the club who does'nt want to be there. That is the key for me, if he wants to go then we must make sure we get the best price for him and while all this drags on his value as slowly crept up, so maybe the waiting game(much like us trying to get Essein) is'nt such a bad one to play.

I would though hope its sorted one way or another before the season kicks off. I'd still like him to sign a new contract, get fit(and hopefully stay that way) knuckle down and help us win back the league.

Great post, couldn't agree more, if he wants to go let him but I would rather this got sorted before the season starts one way or another.

Whilst i don't want us to lose Robben, i find his attitude questionable,to put it mildly.

As far as i'm concerned the club doesn't owe him f..k all, it's quite the opposite, he is yet to spend the full season or close to it healthy and make a real impact on how the team's season progresses. Terry,Lamps,Drogba,Cech and Essien are a spine of this team and they worked their asses off, played through pain, and carried the team through everything, that's why they've got improved contracts with more money and deservedly so.

Get off your bony arse Arjen and prove to your club and fans that you're worth it.

Whilst i don't want us to lose Robben, i find his attitude questionable,to put it mildly.

As far as i'm concerned the club doesn't owe him f..k all, it's quite the opposite, he is yet to spend the full season or close to it healthy and make a real impact on how the team's season progresses. Terry,Lamps,Drogba,Cech and Essien are a spine of this team and they worked their asses off, played through pain, and carried the team through everything, that's why they've got improved contracts with more money and deservedly so.

Get off your bony arse Arjen and prove to your club and fans that you're worth it.

Funny you should mention those.......

I copied this from a post I made on Robben a few weeks ago:

Arjen is a chess piece in Jose's master-plan, but can his career wait on hold until Jose can trust him to do enough, this is the untilmate question, but I think, IF given the choice, AJ would rather slip off to get a contract he can dictate and play 'Madrid style football' rather than get his nut down to merit his place in the squad. (perhaps he's just not enough bottle for the premiership or Jose)

REAL MADRID eventually won the league last season and played controlled, winning football under their manager, Capello, who was and is a proven winner. He critisised Beckham and got a reaction, sometimes you need a response! (Jose wants the same reaction). For RM to sack Capello is a joke - and for a player wanting to join them, to get more time on the pitch, than sweat for his cause and work for his manager goes to proves they deserve ona another.

I hope he doesn't go, he is a dream player, but I'm afraid he just doesn't show the personal qualities or character Terry, Lampard, Cech, Essien or the reformed Drogba or Joe Cole (could even add Bridge).

Has he got the bottle/patience to stay? I hope he does, it'll make him a diifferent and much better player, (JC/DD+WB are examples) but I'm afraid it's upto the player himself!

C'mon Arjen, set the world alight, but do ut in a blue shirt!!!

You could become a legend, but it takes work, hard work, you are already famous world-wide and you're wanted by our supporters, we know what you can do, but show us some character and make that shirt yours!! There are Chelsea legends who never had your skill or pace, just show us some of their character and you'll be another hero!

It's up to you!!

(added)

He could get his nut down, or skulk off. I did say as he was brought off in the FA cup final last year it would be his last game for us, but JM patted AJ on the back, turned to the crowd and motioned us to applaued him. It's down to the players attitude but he hasn't shown the character as others mention above so far in a Chelsea shirt, as I said he 'could' be a legend!

BTW another fine post Dorset. I can't say I'm expecting big things from Sinclair this season because it wouldn't be fair on the kid at this stage of his career, but he is a player who really excite's me, and I can see huge potential. I hope he has the attitude and hunger to fulfill it and not rest on his laurel's as soon as the first big contract comes along which seems to happen to some players.

Archived