Jose - Strengths and Weaknesses

loz

OK what do we think folks. Almost since day one of Jose taking over there has been arguments on here about what Jose is good at and what he is not so good at with one end of the spectrum believing the sun shines out every one of his orifices so brightly that he is being seriously conisdered as a renewable energy source and the other thinking he has a rotten core off the field that diminishes from his success on the field (with obviously a lot of people being somewhere in the middle).

So what do we think. Maybe a couple of strengths and weaknesses each (although feel free to write more).

I will kick it off with two of each.

Strengths

1. Immaculate preparation of his team for every game from a defensive perspective. Every player knows their job and the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

2. Cultivating a team mentality and a spirit that refuses to give in when behind in a game.

Weaknesses

1. Lack of imagination in the attacking half of the pitch - what he excels at defensively he fails at from an attacking perspective.

2. Excessive reliance on graft over flair. For me the squad has been built and built and built into one that is too much focused on hard work and perspiration and lacks creativity.

IMHO, and apart form the already mentioned...one MAJOR weakness.

Doesn't have the balls to bet on the youngsters enough.

See how some Bar?as, ManUtd, Arsenals (the last one to exageration) bet in the youngsters.

We keep buying buying buying...even some "young stars"..and then they sit eternally on the bench of...some Championship team.

What good is it discovering good promising young players if they're never gonna have a chance ?

What motivation do these have to come to Chelsea ?

IMHO, and apart form the already mentioned...one MAJOR weakness.

Doesn't have the balls to bet on the youngsters enough.

See how some Bar?as, ManUtd, Arsenals (the last one to exageration) bet in the youngsters.

We keep buying buying buying...even some "young stars"..and then they sit eternally on the bench of...some Championship team.

What good is it discovering good promising young players if they're never gonna have a chance ?

What motivation do these have to come to Chelsea ?

I agree. I even think that some young talents that some big teams have been after have said that they didn't want to join Chelsea because they didn't feel that they would get a shot at first team football.

I know that Mourinho has claimed that atleast 2-3 youngsters will get a chance every season, but it's one thing getting to play a couple of pre season games or a game or two against some minor team in one of the cups than to get a handfull of games (atleast) against some real opposition.

Hutchinson did really well in pre season but he probably wont get to play much more than that. Mancienne is big prospect but we keep lending him to other teams (and with JT, Riccy, Ben and Alex it won't be easy to get a chance).

I think we need to start being more realistic about our youth team players.

We should at the very least be fielding interest from other premiership teams to loan out players like Mancienne before we seriously consider them alternatives for the first team.

If Chelsea fail to win the PL or the CL - Will Jose be allowed to stay on for another season?

In a word no.

But possibly that might be the best for both parties, put Jose out of his misery of trying to tap dance to Roman's tune and let him get on with applying his not inconsiderable talents at a new club which would welcome him with open arms. And then it would leave Roman to indulge his dreams in a coach who wants attacking football all day long and pretty with it please.

Whether that proves any more successfull long term than Jose I don't know but if it's what Roman wants then that's what we will get.

If Chelsea fail to win the PL or the CL - Will Jose be allowed to stay on for another season?

I very much doubt it. He may well have been sacked at the end of last season if it wasn't for the cup wins and maybe a sense of overwhelming support form the fans.

If we fail to deliver one of the big two trophies this season then I think his departure will be inevitable and I think he will be expecting it. To a great extent last season we could point to injuries as a key factor in our failure to defend the title and I, for one, would not argue that it was a major factor. However this summer Jose took the opportunity to plug a few squad gaps and thus barring an excessive injury crisis he is now answerable to that squad.

Personally I am not convinced that the players he has brought in are actually good enough however it remains to be seen whether I am right or wrong. Belletti I am fine with although he does give me defensive heebie jeebies and Ben haim is suitable as a fourth choice centre half howeever I am far from convinced by Pizarro and Sidwell (and I am basing this on their careers prior to joining Chelsea, not the limited time they have been with us).

Regardless of what happens from now to the end of the season Jose will not be here next year. He has always mentioned his desire to manage his national side, after next summers European Championships he will have 2 years to prepare them for the next world cup. He will be off to manage with a free reign with no-one can force players on him.

Just my opinion but it make sense!

I must be like Roman, just without the billions. All I want is attacking football, the trophies for me are a plus, just as long as we are actually competing for them and playing well, I am happy. Then there are those who want trophies first and entertainment second, just a matter of preference I suppose.

I was perfectly happy with Ranieri around, we might not have won much, but at least we got to see a f**kin good game, even when we lost. Although I love Jose and I will always appreciate the things he has done for Chelsea, I will not shed a tear if he leaves, provided there is a suitable replacement of course. For me there is a limit and I've seen one two many dire football games to defend him anymore, it's not just this season, it went on for much of the last as well. I know that we were in competition for 4 trophies right to the death, but watching Chelsea over the last 1 & 1/2 years has just not had the same attraction for me that it had before. :(

Lastly, I don't think our image has improved very much with Jose around, he just speaks his mind to often to keep everyone happy. While this is a quality some of us (including myself) might find admirable, it does the club no good at all in the grand scheme of things, which is to make Chelsea the largest club in the world. All this mud slinging with him and the media (99% media) has made us more hated than it has made us liked, which I find a real shame.

What i love about all this is that there does seem to be a massive unreast amoungs the forum and supporters in genneral about the way things are going under Jose, However not once has any one mentioned some one else they would like to see in charge. every one just goes on about what we'r not getting under Jose but who is it in world football that people think is going to do a better job?

Me personly i say let him continue, wenger has never been able to deffend a title, Ferguson took 5 years to win a thing and it was only two seasons ago they where dumped out of there group bottom of the group, out of the fa cup to liverpool and not really as close as the mejia would have us believe to us in the league. Many thought they were in iraversable decline but ferguson predictably turned it around. Id like to see chelsea give a manager the same chance to build a legacy with the bad times and the good as opposed to the real maddrid method.

What i love about all this is that there does seem to be a massive unreast amoungs the forum and supporters in genneral about the way things are going under Jose, However not once has any one mentioned some one else they would like to see in charge. every one just goes on about what we'r not getting under Jose but who is it in world football that people think is going to do a better job?

Me personly i say let him continue, wenger has never been able to deffend a title, Ferguson took 5 years to win a thing and it was only two seasons ago they where dumped out of there group bottom of the group, out of the fa cup to liverpool and not really as close as the mejia would have us believe to us in the league. Many thought they were in iraversable decline but ferguson predictably turned it around. Id like to see chelsea give a manager the same chance to build a legacy with the bad times and the good as opposed to the real maddrid method.

but- we know that jose isn't the type who will want to stick around and build a dynasty/ legacy like ferguson- he's more likely to want to try different leagues, different teams and international football.

and I think that suits him- I'm not convinced about his team building- IMO we've got worse the more the squad has become his and less ranieri's- he's great with teams other people have built. that's how it is sometimes- some are good in short term, some long term... some have a history of immediate success and some seem to develop and grow sides from the beginning.

what we wanted a few years ago is not necessarily what we want now.

it's a fair point though- who could possibly take over if he left? it might have to be a coach with less experience with winning trophies. mancini at inter? I liked him at lazio but have a few reservations. sofa boy likes him.... hiddink? he's great tactically, and plays good football but you look at his age and wonder how long he'd want to stay here... seems to be enjoying non day to day management (international sides).

sometimes some managers just suit some clubs- ruud and luca for example, who had no experience... rijkaard had little before going to barcelona

It may not have been mentioned in this particular thread but it has been discussed before

Here

http://www.chelseafcforum.com/viewtopic ... 71&start=0

to some extent in here

http://www.chelseafcforum.com/viewtopic ... 88&start=0 (where I choose Lippi and still would)

and I remember some other ones but can't recall which threads they were.

Regardless of what happens from now to the end of the season Jose will not be here next year. He has always mentioned his desire to manage his national side, after next summers European Championships he will have 2 years to prepare them for the next world cup. He will be off to manage with a free reign with no-one can force players on him.

Just my opinion but it make sense!

He has gone from 14/1 to 3/1 to be next Portugal manager!

Where's my crystal ball?

Archived