Our Free Transfers?

Elliott

Have any of them come good?

Tal Ben Haim? Sidwell? Pizarro? - All of them look like being bad acquisitions at this moment in time.

What was the point in Roman keeping the purse strings tightened, only so that we could bring in three players who aren’t good enough?

The club stated at the time, that they weren’t just brought in for the sake of it, but it's clear to see now that they were.

I'm not slating the players; it’s not their fault. It's just incredibly bad management on our part.

And not for the first time! 317.gif

Nice name.

I'd like to see Sidwell get more of a chance but really the balls on his court. It seems everytime he does get a chance he comes on and has an awful game, lack of match practice? Pizarro never seems to hit the target. We should swap him for Santa Cruz, they're both pretty boys so the Rovers fans wont notice a difference. And we should sell Ben Haim to Tottenham for 8 Million if the papers are anything to go by, a good bit of business there.

Nice name.

I'd like to see Sidwell get more of a chance but really the balls on his court. It seems everytime he does get a chance he comes on and has an awful game, lack of match practice? Pizarro never seems to hit the target. We should swap him for Santa Cruz, they're both pretty boys so the Rovers fans wont notice a difference. And we should sell Ben Haim to Tottenham for 8 Million if the papers are anything to go by, a good bit of business there.

You need to be more accurate E!!iot. Santa Cruz is pretty. Pizarro is pretty-bad-at-hitting-the-target. Nevertheless Rovers fans wont see the difference.

I dont think our free transfers have been bad. Tal, Steve and Pizza are all good players and they have all played okay. I mean how many matches have we lost with them on the starting line up. They just all seem to be little bit colorless characters. They wont spark any team coming on the pitch. They just somehow do their job.

Ballack was free and he starts to look good eventually.

I think its pretty obvious they were bought by Mourinho who felt the need for more depth and wasn't being given financial backing by Roman Abramovich. I think everyone knew (including Mourinho) that these players weren't going to be world beaters, merely squad players here to fill a role. Based on what we've seen of them under Grant they probably won't be considered successfull transfers, but who knows how it would have turned out for them under Mourinho. They were afterall purchased for his system, not Grants.

you get what you pay for!

However, I did say that I felt Roman and Jose's stubbourness in the transfer market would cost us. We will try and rectify this somewhat in the jan tran window, but I think the damage may have been done in the league by then

Scott

Romans ego has cost us since his refusal to back Jose last January. It eventually cost us the best manager in the world.

I know he has been the saviour, before someone starts listing how much he's put in etc.... but the club has not been run correctly for over a year and has cost us dearly.

Have you ever worked with someone you don't particularly like? Yes,we all have, some times you need to just get on with things.

For all the good Roman has done, his stubborness in the past 2 transfer windows to bolster delpeted squads has taken us backwards.

nah pizarro "the inca bomber" IS good. i can see it. we are just misusing him like we do didi in the bloody 433 lone mans balls.

pizarro is a good striker partner he works hard to win the ball and chase defenders. if his accuracy can be blamed, its because we expect shots to go in every time someone has a pop.

i say fine, TBH and sidwell can go, but keep pizarro.

also, go ballack!

Romans ego has cost us since his refusal to back Jose last January. It eventually cost us the best manager in the world.

I know he has been the saviour, before someone starts listing how much he's put in etc.... but the club has not been run correctly for over a year and has cost us dearly.

Have you ever worked with someone you don't particularly like? Yes,we all have, some times you need to just get on with things.

For all the good Roman has done, his stubborness in the past 2 transfer windows to bolster delpeted squads has taken us backwards.

I'd say it was a combination of Jose and Romans egos that cost us with perhaps some of the others like Arnesen and Grant not helping either. I don''t know anything for sure, but it seems that in fact the much maligned Peter Kenyon was the one trying to patch up the differences and act as peacemaker.

you have good players, and you have quality players and there is a clear line between them. and no-one playing for chelsea should be a good player, which is what they are. obviously they are not goin to cope at such a big club. steve sidwell! he was playin championship football 2 years ago and was unheard of. and now he is playing for one of the biggest clubs in europe? ben aint too bad but still, bolton first team player but nothing more than just a first team player. tbh i thought pizarro would be ok because at least he is from a good club but still he wasnt a key player at bayern and we are a better club than them so why should be buyin standard players from a uefa cup side??? i think mourinho aint done himself and favours wid these 3...and specially the way sidwell played against everton...really hacked me off

I think it's too early to judge our freebies. Nobody have played regulary and that can be a problem for them. Sidwell hasn't been good so far but it's not easy to play a few minutes every fourth game or so.

Pizarro hasn't played that much either and when he's played he's played in the wrong position. If we use him as a lone striker we can't use him as a target player at the same time. It's not easy to fall back, collect the ball, give it to a teammate, run up front again and then be there when the opportunity comes to score a goal. That's not Pizarros style. Drogba can perhaps pull it off but even he has had trouble with it. And if he can't do it no one can.

Ben Haim has looked stiff when coming on. Certainly not the same Ben Haim I remember from Bolton. Perhaps not getting enough time?

Just hope Anelka doesn't turn out the same icon_rolleyes.gif

Scott

Tell that to Ballack

it was said tongue in cheek...but we are paying him enough in wages to compensate his free transfer.

Alex we paid a pound forr,yes, but I think he was on our books for most of the time he was at PSV

Scott

Tell that to Ballack

it was said tongue in cheek...but we are paying him enough in wages to compensate his free transfer.

Alex we paid a pound forr,yes, but I think he was on our books for most of the time he was at PSV

I'm not too sure, a player of Ballack's class could have commanded that wage anyway, maybe slightly lower, but not by much. We got a damn good deal in getting him for free, high wages or not, and it looks like he's starting to earn his wages these days (watch him get injured now)

I hope you don't think that I am not a fan of ballack, as I totally am. I did think his handling of the injury/operation situation was maybe not the best, but to be honest we don't really know what was done/said there other than what the press told us...and according to them, well I don't have time to list off all their BS

I disagree with it being too early to judge. I think it’s clear to see when a player doesn’t have the right amount of quality. Form and fitness can be regained (Ballack of late), but talent is very different.

Sidwell isn’t good enough. I was hoping that he would give us some raw grit and determination ala Scott Parker, but nope; I don’t think he’s up to scratch. Which is probably made worse by the fact that he is under a huge amount of expectation whenever he does play, alot like Wright Phillips’s early days. (By the way, for the sake of bringing in Sidwell, why didn’t we hold on to Parker?)

Ben Haim was good enough at Bolton, but has mostly looked like a fish out of water for us. Even Grant, his fellow Israeli, knows that he should sit firmly on the bench wherever possible. If Spurs want to stump up some money for Tal, then surely it’s a no brainer if Ivanovic is brought in?

Pizarro seemed the most promising prospect out of the three, and to be fair to him could be the only one to come good if given a little longer to settle. He is a support striker by trade, and has been finding himself leading the line recently, which isn’t really his position of choice; however he does seem to go anonymous for large periods of a game. (If we needed a support striker of superior quality, then what sense was there in letting Eidur go?).

Okay, maybe Jose can’t really be blamed, because if the money had been made available in the first place, then better players would have been brought in, but these guys are all on inflated contracts? We are still paying their wages?

Bad, bad business on someone’s part.

Archived