Set pieces

Tim W

Why did we go to all that trouble to get Top Cat?

Corners, free kicks we are the pits!

Is there no one who's got a bit more thought than "lob it in" or "shoot"?

With the skills on hand you would think we could do a lot better.

On the bright side against Reading we did actual get the ball over the man on the near post a few times.

(Can some one get AG out in the dug out a say fifteen, twenty minutes earlier he might then start to make his substitutions a bit earlier.)

I think Ballack has done a fine job with the free kicks in the past month. And along with Alex for the longer ones we are fine, as long as Lampard doesn't take over the duties when he comes back. Indeed the corners are still poor, which is a mystery because the talent is there to deliver a quality kick

i can remember Belletti taking corners twice and they both resulted in a goal

Belletti should definatly take a more important role in corners and set pieces in general. Most of the crosses that resulted in goals, for the past couple of weeks, were of his doing.

Ballack can take the free kicks or maybe Drogba (when he's back). Not so sure about Alex though. He's got the power, but so does Lampard. And let's face it, Lampard has scored quite alot of free kicks hasn't he?

Corners are more tricky. Belletti should take more and I wouldn't mind seeing Bridge try it out once.

Makelele took one once and that one wasn't bad. icon_lol.gif

It's not a question of who takes them, how about working of some different set plays instead of just lobbing it into the tallest f**ker or wacking it into row Z. We're supposed to be one of the best sides in Europe - our set piece play it's bollocks

It's not a question of who takes them, how about working of some different set plays instead of just lobbing it into the tallest f****r or wacking it into row Z. We're supposed to be one of the best sides in Europe - our set piece play it's b*****ks

I've been saying this for a while..........makes you wonder whats being done about it doesn't it?

Do you remember the wrost corner ever taken, by soxy... ??

Ended up the best goal ever scored by Zola

I don't think our corners are too bad, you got to mix them up a bit. Readings were pathetic Wednesday, I would have been hacked off if I supported them.

Zola had a bag of footballs and a plywood wall, thats all you need to practice where to put it!!

For corners they should work on movement and deliveries, don't need 5 different corners takers for 5 different deliveries. It's either an in swinger or an out-swinger.

I agree we are lacking inspiration and quality regarding our corners, which is odd as we used to be rather good at the former. I remember a run early on ish on Jose's reign when we were lathal at corners, with JT scoring for fun, and we mixed it up a bit so the opposition just didn't know what to expect. The goal Drog scored at Boro (?) when he made a late run to in line with the near post and side footed it in, after our others players had pulled all the defenders to the far post was particularly clever.

More of that sort of stuff would be good.

Archived