Players you'd take back in a heartbeat

blizeH

... from a purely footballing perspective, foget if they were injury prone (Robben), were an idiot (Gallas) or are better off where they are now (Carlo)

Carlo Cudicini - The best backup goalkeeper in the league. Hilario is okay too, but not in the same league as Carlo.

Glen Johnson - I'd take him above Bosingwa without question, he's doing brilliantly for Pompy and could do a very good job for us at right back too.

William Gallas - He's a jerk, but he's still got it. Would be brilliant backup to any of our defenders, and would probably be pushing for a starting position still.

Scott Parker - Brilliant tackler, and as far as I'm concerned, would offer more to the team than Mikel does right now.

Sean Wright Philips - This season we've been lacking pace on the wings, someone who'll take on defenders. Why did we sell him again?

Arjen Robben - What can I say? He's absolutely incredible, would be a gauranteed first team starter even with everyone else fit, no doubt one of our best ever attacking players.

Carlton Cole - Now this will be controversial, but I honestly believe he'd offer more than Anelka does, and possibly even more than Drogba is offering right now.

Eudir Gudjohnsen - Brilliantly creative and one of the nicest footballers ever, we played some brilliant football with him in the team, love him.

... from a purely footballing perspective, foget if they were injury prone (Robben), were an idiot (Gallas) or are better off where they are now (Carlo)

Carlo Cudicini - The best backup goalkeeper in the league. Hilario is okay too, but not in the same league as Carlo.

Glen Johnson - I'd take him above Bosingwa without question, he's doing brilliantly for Pompy and could do a very good job for us at right back too.

William Gallas - He's a jerk, but he's still got it. Would be brilliant backup to any of our defenders, and would probably be pushing for a starting position still.

Scott Parker - Brilliant tackler, and as far as I'm concerned, would offer more to the team than Mikel does right now.

Sean Wright Philips - This season we've been lacking pace on the wings, someone who'll take on defenders. Why did we sell him again?

Arjen Robben - What can I say? He's absolutely incredible, would be a gauranteed first team starter even with everyone else fit, no doubt one of our best ever attacking players.

Carlton Cole - Now this will be controversial, but I honestly believe he'd offer more than Anelka does, and possibly even more than Drogba is offering right now.

Eudir Gudjohnsen - Brilliantly creative and one of the nicest footballers ever, we played some brilliant football with him in the team, love him.

carlo - agree.

johno - no chance. still a liability defending.

gallas - no chance. disruptive prick, threatened an own goal and refused to play. how would anyone want that at their club.

parker - no. liked him and the efoorts he put in, but simply not good enough.

swp - no chance. see above.

robben - definately agree. i was pretty happy when we sold him as i thought he was injury prone and had no heart. but hes still a ridiculously good player and exactly what we need.

cole - no chance. not good enough no matter how decent hes playing at the minute. though id even argue that as the games ive seen him in hes been very frustrating and pretty poor on the whole.

eidur - not sure on this one. hes an incredibly talented footballer but never really made a position his own. not fast enough for a winger, not a good enough finisher for a forward.

The only player there I'd take back is Robben. He is not as good as Messi but I can't think of anyone else who is better at the moment in terms of actually influencing the outcome of matches. It's no coincidence that Madrid have been on such a good winning run since he has been fit and playing regularly.

All of the others would be a backwards step, either because they are now past their best, like Carlo, Gallas or Eidur, or were never good enough, like Cole or Parker.

I'm treating SWP as a comedy inclusion. Right?

None.

Carlo - maybe. I thought we should have kept him til the end of season or should have lined up a replacement before letting him go.

Robben would probably be an obvious choice because he's a top class , still young and brings creativity and speed - something we're currently missing. But he was also a walking sicknote and is better suited to a less physically challenging La Liga. The biggest reason we're still pining for Flying Dutchman and are willing to forget that while with Chelsea he spent two thirds of every season on injury list and never showed up against big sides, is that we replaced him with certain Florent Malouda.

I wanted Guddy back at some point but he's past it now and there'd be no point. We need to get younger and faster in midfield, not the other way around.

Johno,Parker and SWP were never good enough. The only positive about them compared to some players currently on our books is that they were willing to fight for the shirt. Unfortunately, in terms of ability they weren't up to Chelsea standards.

Carlton never had any fight in him to begin with and never lived up to his potential. West Ham is where he belongs.

We got the best years out of Gallas and considering his antics at Arse, I'd say good riddance.

I think we should have made a cheeky bid for Damien in the window. You could argue not the best, but at least he gave it his all, something we need.

i don't think we should go down that road again

was great while he was here and maybe a season after but doesn't have the legs anymore

Diarra, now that is a good shout.

as for Makka and Crespo, I'm a big fan, but no. I mean it's not as if they will get any better.

I wasn't really thinking about them improving, I was thinking more on the lines of to help us out for the rest of the season...I never really read the criteria

I f it was to look to the future then only Diarra would make sense but his attitude seems a bit suspect to me.

Hernan Crespo: world class finisher who handled a very bad situation as well as possible. Came back here under a coach he was at odds with and did the buisness

Damian Duff: professional and gave 110% of himself on the field

Lassana Diarra

Eidur Gudjohnson: legend

Claude Makalele: if he were not so old. He was a great player and teammate

Tiago: all heart, absolutely loved him, and was CERTAINLY good enough to play the role between attacking and defending mids

Jiri Jarosik: yesterdays Miniero, but performed adequately when called upon every time

Scotty Parker

Johno to plonk him on the wings and give us some pace there. He might have turned into Cafu under Scolari

That is my list, maybe to the exclusion of Diarra, but all guys who played their hearts out and left not a shred of doubt about their committment between the lines. Call me nostalgic or dumb or whatever.

added a few of my own to Chippy's obviously

Robben was world class but he was petulant and going forward I think we need guys who are going to think team/club first, everything else second. Joe Cole is that, Quaresma might be that, Robben was not.

Carlo

Ivan

Alex

Diarra

LB

Johno

Tiago

Parker

Duffer

Crespo

Duffer

would be a hell of a second team to call upon

That is my list, maybe to the exclusion of Diarra, but all guys who played their hearts out and left not a shred of doubt about their committment between the lines. Call me nostalgic or dumb or whatever.

added a few of my own to Chippy's obviously

Robben was world class but he was petulant and going forward I think we need guys who are going to think team/club first, everything else second. Joe Cole is that, Quaresma might be that, Robben was not.

Carlo

Ivan

Alex

Diarra

LB

Johno

Tiago

Parker

Duffer

Crespo

Duffer

would be a hell of a second team to call upon

duffer that good he could play twice? :lol:

I think we should have made a cheeky bid for Damien in the window. You could argue not the best, but at least he gave it his all, something we need.

Im with you 100% on that one. He isnt the best especially at this stage but he is like Gronks because the fans will love him regardless.

And even at half strength he would improve this current team

p.s. missed 'pure footballing perspective' so some of my answers would change, but in the case Robben and Mutu would be excellent inclusions. Mutu was a bloody head case, but with the right coaching and reinforcement, if he sorted out his personal life, he could play and score. He has since shown us that.

Injuries apart (and Joe hasn't been exactly injury free over the last 3 years) Robben is exactly what we need. Someone who is genuinely world class, can turn a game on his own and does so on a regular basis. Joe isn't that player. Quaresma might be but he is older than Robben so I suspect he won't be.

Quaresma and Robben are both 25.

Either way, Quaresma... 25 years old, that's not really the kind of age that you should be writing people off at, I know wingers naturally don't last as long as other positions, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have a good 6 or so years left in him.

Quaresma and Robben are both 25.

Either way, Quaresma... 25 years old, that's not really the kind of age that you should be writing people off at, I know wingers naturally don't last as long as other positions, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have a good 6 or so years left in him.

True. But Robben is younger. My point was that Robben has already established himself as a top player having won major honours in the Premier League and Spain. Quaresma had a year at Barca which didn't work out and even less time at Inter and has yet to really make a name for himself. It is not too late, but the top players have usually established themselves as such by that age. I'd be very happy if he did turn out to be very good and his debut was quite promising but I'd still have Robben back "in a heartbeat" if we could get him.

Archived