We're boring

Blue Sun Tzu

Obviously this a provocative opening to a new thread but I think that anyone who had watched us over the past few years would find it difficult to disagree. Of course there has been the odd exception. 4-4 against the scum last season for example. But those matches are few and far between. I have just sat through yet another arse-numbing game where ewe struggle to a 0-1 win against the giants of Nicosia; the only thing that kept me glued to the box was my undying loyalty to the club. This will never change. I will always support the blues. It just seems that I will be bored out of my mind doing so.

The football that we have conjured up cannot be delighting Roman especially when he flicks the channel to watch the new galacticos of Real play the type of fantasy football he so wants at the bridge. To be honest we have rarely got close to it. When we could we bought the wrong players and now we can't (Joe Cole and maybe Kaluta aside) we just don't have the players in our squad to produce sexy football. Yes we can be efficient and even awesome but never exciting and entertaining. Even when we win it harldy ever comes clsoe to wow!

Incidentally having watched the game tonight I have finally run out of patience with two players:

Kalou is sh*t.Can someone please tell me the last time he actually did anything good let alone come even slightly close to MoM award?

...and Deco is a c**t. He just doesn't give a sh*t. He should not be allowed near the first team with that attitude.

Is Ancelotti really the man who can take us to the next level?

Sorry bout this post but Chelsea are depressing the hell out of me. Even Lamps isn't looking interested any more.

Oh and just when you thought it couldn;t be more depressing, we have spent 600 million over the past few years including enticing a new goalkeeper to our club in the summer and yet it seems that Hilario is still our best understudy to Cech?

Pile of crap.

Really.

1) We were winning before Wigan. We dominated teams and took more and more of our chances. Lamps aside, most of our regular performers did the business. We're not a flair team. Our "wow" factor comes from the stifling, crushing play of our midfield and forwards. The fact we (normally) give our opponents very little time to recover from plays is and should be our hallmark.

2) Yes we're not playing it galacticos-style, but we don't have the players for it. I'm very sure we made attempts during the summer, but given the nature of THAT transfer window, it was impossible to do ANY shopping.

3) There are very few managers left in the world who can take us to the next level. I believe that Carlo is the one. His constant use of Belletti and neglect of Studge aside, he's gotten his team selection and subs spot on.

Understandably, we're not playing at top gear now, but we should be focusing on getting the basics right, not pointless issues of flair and trick-ponies.

Well said Oblivion. what is it 6 rounds in the prem, an FA Cup win, the community shield, and 2 CL matches. Tottenham aside, we've looked dire, but resiliant in some of those games....if attractive galactico football is what you want, then go watch Real. We are passing well at time, and we've been (until the Wigan game) touted as potential Premiership champions.

Honestly, the way some people jump on our managers after a loss and a 1-0 hard fought win (away from home in the heat) makes me realize taht MANY people on here are far to spoiled

Scott

Oh boy, pretty much agree with all of the responses here. I will add that

1. For the last half year or more our best creative threat has been Florent Malouda. And until Hiddink got here he was crap. Now we have Joe slowly getting back to fitness, and Zhirky who we havent really even seen yet. Deco was pissing awful most of last year. I agree, Kalou is often frustratingly crap. But lets give the three-four creative mids and wingers we have a change to see what they can do.

When Deco and Joe are at their best, we can look very very good.

2. If Roman really wants Galactico football, I will do one better than Scott and tell him to buy a team there! I think he is quite happy with Chelsea, but I think he is quite happy to have a team of Chelsea's calibre. Spain will always be open and attacking league, but the Premiership is the best in the world and while Real and Barca look quite good so far, but I think come next spring we stand a good a chance as any of defeating them. Assuming a Norwegian is nowhere nearby.

One more point.

During Scolari's run, we struggled to break down teams like Hull and West Ham. At home even.

Don't see that happening now do ya?

did you not watch the game last night then?

morais was playing for them and i think he'd struggle to hold down a place at hull. def not at west ham

i agree with the sentiment of the original post but not every point made. we are playing sh*te. in the last couple of games anelka has been getting further and further from a position up front

i don't know what is stopping us from playing 2 up front. is it fear of the opposition?

did you not watch the game last night then?

morais was playing for them and i think he'd struggle to hold down a place at hull. def not at west ham

i agree with the sentiment of the original post but not every point made. we are playing sh*te. in the last couple of games anelka has been getting further and further from a position up front

i don't know what is stopping us from playing 2 up front. is it fear of the opposition?

have you been watching our games this season? other than wigan and last night weve hardly been playing sh*t, weve created loads of chances against every team weve played and if our finishing had been better we could have battered some teams. fans now are a f**king joke at times. weve a new manager, a new way of playing to get used to and a new footballing philosiphy yet weve still only lost one game, scored a good amount of goals and are top of both leagues were in. and all this without our new signing, our most reative attaking midfielder and our main striker in one of the competitions. if your bored then f**k off and drool over arsenals kids "bestest football ever". good f**king riddance.

i just detest us playing 1 up front. fair enough we don't have the creative talent of a fabregas or the pace of torres but we do have 2 fantastic strikers and one of the best natural finishers in the world in anelka and he is asked to play in a position that he has never been in in his life. wtf is the point? seriously

what strength's does anelka possess that make him an effective attacking midfielder?

until we start playing to our strengths we won't play the best football we can

we look like a different team and a force to be reckoned with when we have 2 up top but it just seems beyond every manager we've had since the days of vialli and ranieri

and you say "bestest football ever" as if it's a load of crap. some of them are incredibly talented

have you been watching our games this season? other than wigan and last night weve hardly been playing sh*t, weve created loads of chances against every team weve played and if our finishing had been better we could have battered some teams. fans now are a f**king joke at times. weve a new manager, a new way of playing to get used to and a new footballing philosiphy yet weve still only lost one game, scored a good amount of goals and are top of both leagues were in. and all this without our new signing, our most reative attaking midfielder and our main striker in one of the competitions. if your bored then f**k off and drool over arsenals kids "bestest football ever". good f**king riddance.

DKW, RAGE ON!

Some fans just hit the panic button too early. Scolari wasn't too long ago, as it were.

I thought that my post might have caused the type of exchanges it has. To be honest I was rather pissed last night when writing it. However, in the cold light of day with a thumping headache, I still stand by what I said. Chelsea are a team that will find it extremely hard to shake off the habit of playing football that is effective but dull, powerful but boring, whoever the manager is. The players that we have at the club dictate this.

We have no width really apart from Ashley (who is playing out of his skin) and Bos. We don't have a player that can skin a defender and get behind the opposition's defence (why didn't we sign Aguero when we had the chance? By the time Atletico have finished with him he'll be ruined judging by the performances this season. Much the same could be said for Pato. Neither player looks up for playing for their current manager and both would have jumped at the chance to sign for us ). Certainly we are asking a helluva lot of Joey to come back after so long out and provide us with the much needed flair. Maybe Zhirkov is the Russian Ronaldihno? On evidence provided so far he is the Russian Darren Anderton.

Every other top club has at least one "special" flair player, capable of the truly extraordinary and spectacular, a fantasy footballer. Man U have Rooney and Berbatov (although he has hardly set the world on fire he is capable of the special), Arsenal have Arshavin, Van Persie, Walcott etc., Man City have Robinho, Liverpool have - a bit of sick has come into my mouth as I am about to type this - Stevie Me and Torres, Barca have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Munich have Robben and Ribery, Real have just about everyone else!

Don't get me wrong, players like JT, Lamps, Ashley, Essien and Drogba are all fantastic and "special" in their own way and I wouldn't swap them for anyone. Neither am I not asking for Carlo to get the boot (although I still to be convinced that he is the right man to win us the league back). In fact I think that we may indeed win stuff this year. But until we have a fantasy type player, we will continue to grind out results playing football that is frighteningly effective but boring.

Maybe Kakuta will become our Messi. Only time will tell.

We miss Drogba, and Lampard always looks a lesser player when DD is missing, we also severly lack width. The one time we got it wide last night we scored.

Kalou and Malouda were not good enough last year, and we came up short to a Utd side who were not really giving it both barrell's., but stumled over the finish line. They both got improved contracts over the summer and it looks like the only thing that has improved is their wages.

I thought that my post might have caused the type of exchanges it has. To be honest I was rather pissed last night when writing it. However, in the cold light of day with a thumping headache, I still stand by what I said. Chelsea are a team that will find it extremely hard to shake off the habit of playing football that is effective but dull, powerful but boring, whoever the manager is. The players that we have at the club dictate this.

We have no width really apart from Ashley (who is playing out of his skin) and Bos. We don't have a player that can skin a defender and get behind the opposition's defence (why didn't we sign Aguero when we had the chance? By the time Atletico have finished with him he'll be ruined judging by the performances this season. Much the same could be said for Pato. Neither player looks up for playing for their current manager and both would have jumped at the chance to sign for us ). Certainly we are asking a helluva lot of Joey to come back after so long out and provide us with the much needed flair. Maybe Zhirkov is the Russian Ronaldihno? On evidence provided so far he is the Russian Darren Anderton.

Every other top club has at least one "special" flair player, capable of the truly extraordinary and spectacular, a fantasy footballer. Man U have Rooney and Berbatov (although he has hardly set the world on fire he is capable of the special), Arsenal have Arshavin, Van Persie, Walcott etc., Man City have Robinho, Liverpool have - a bit of sick has come into my mouth as I am about to type this - Stevie Me and Torres, Barca have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Munich have Robben and Ribery, Real have just about everyone else!

Don't get me wrong, players like JT, Lamps, Ashley, Essien and Drogba are all fantastic and "special" in their own way and I wouldn't swap them for anyone. Neither am I not asking for Carlo to get the boot (although I still to be convinced that he is the right man to win us the league back). In fact I think that we may indeed win stuff this year. But until we have a fantasy type player, we will continue to grind out results playing football that is frighteningly effective but boring.

Maybe Kakuta will become our Messi. Only time will tell.

Sorry, but you are talking bollocks.

We were crap against Wigan - no arguments. We were pretty crap last night too.

But we played very well against Spurs and have looked much more fluid and attacking under Ancelotti than we did under Hiddink. In most of the games we have played we have created bucket loads of chances and dominated possession.

The problem we had under Scolari is that teams worked out how to stop his style of play and Scolari couldn't adapt to that. I think there is a little of that happening now but from what I have seen Ancelotti looks like he can change things around during the course of a match. Even against Wigan we were back level after a shocking first half. Who knows what the result would have been without the sending off.

I can think of many very poor away performances in Europe over the last 5 years, especially in the group stages. The main point from last night was that we won. When we pick up the trophy in the Bernabeu next May no one will be thinking about a scrappy 1-0 win in Cyprus the previous September.

i just detest us playing 1 up front. fair enough we don't have the creative talent of a fabregas or the pace of torres but we do have 2 fantastic strikers and one of the best natural finishers in the world in anelka and he is asked to play in a position that he has never been in in his life. wtf is the point? seriously

and you say "bestest football ever" as if it's a load of crap. some of them are incredibly talented

we played one up front because drogba was missing, weve played 2 up front for the majority of the season. and the may be incredibly talented and play lovely football but theyve won the square root of f**k all in the last 5 years and will win sod all this season too. which do you prefer? lovely football that can be undone by a discplined side, or winning things.

Yeah that 3-0 drubbing of Spuds was seriously boring wasn't it. I almost wish I hadn't bothered going.

We've had two crap games. Two! Seriously, get a grip.

Man U lost to Burnley and stuttered to a win last night thanks to a huge deflection.

The Dippers have already lost two in the league and got beaten soundly by Fiorentina.

I think we're probably doing ok, despite our slump in form.

Yes if we lose on Sunday it will be a very bad result, and I was annoyed as anyone about how we played last night, but this sort of knee jerk tantrum is just ridiculous.

we played one up front because drogba was missing, weve played 2 up front for the majority of the season. and the may be incredibly talented and play lovely football but theyve won the square root of f**k all in the last 5 years and will win sod all this season too. which do you prefer? lovely football that can be undone by a discplined side, or winning things.

you can have both. utd do it, barca do it and madrid will probably do it this year

we have the players to play good football and we have been at times this year. just in small doses though

given time i'm sure it will get better. hopefully with 2 up front

you can have both. utd do it, barca do it and madrid will probably do it this year

we have the players to play good football and we have been at times this year. just in small doses though

given time i'm sure it will get better. hopefully with 2 up front

whats with the 2 up front dig? weve played with 2 up front more often than 1 this season. and saying madrid will "probably" do it this year is a bit daft, i could easily say we will "probably" do it this season.

more often than not in recent games, we've been going with 4-1-2-2-1. it's anything but positive

CR9 has 5 in 5 league games and 4 in 2 in europe already this season. there's a good chance they'll win everything

We can play as many up front as you like, but our failure to open sides up this season or 'play galatico' as you mention is due to our lack of with, not how many play up front. We've been too narrow all season with our fullbacks offering our only form of width.

Madrid, Barca and Utd have the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, and even Giggs, we have Kalou.

Hopefully Zhirkov can provide the width we've been missing.

Think that as usual, some of the responses are way over the top. It’s like no-one is allowed to criticise anything about CFC!

This topic does the rounds every now and again. Of course it was at its height during Mourinho’s reign. There would have been umpteen posts about boring football with the counter argument being “but we’re winningâ€. You of course have the Arsenal example - at times truly great football but nothing to actually show for it (yet) come May time. So what do people want? Opinion will always be split. Some will happily put up with a dull and boring style of football if there is a trophy or two come the end of the season. Others would rather forego said trophy(ies) if they could see some decent, entertaining football. I guess if you’re a Barca fan you are lucky enough to get both.

But I don’t think it’s too much to expect better football than we have witnessed of late. At the moment I am slightly worried that things are following exactly the same pattern as last season. Great start, but then the sun went down and by Autumn, when we had to play some DECENT sides, it all went a bit pear shaped. I think (and certainly f**king hope) that Ancelotti has a lot more about him than Scolari did, but he doesn’t convince me totally in interviews and his apparent difficulty still with the language has another bad de ja vu vibe about it.

I guess there are two separate issues here but I think they go pretty much hand in hand

1. The heading of the topic is “We’re Boringâ€. I think overall I would concur with that. I don’t want any comments about “f**k off and go and watch Arsenal then†as I support Chelsea and have done all my life. We’re not always boring and at times we do play some good football but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more considering the value of the squad we have these days.

2. Should we be worried about the way things are going under Ancelotti? Maybe. One bad defeat and a couple of very unconvincing wins is far from a crisis, but the signs are there. Too many players seem out of sorts at the moment, the usual suspects Kalou, Mikel and Malouda, but more worryingly Lampard, Carvalho and Essien. They are nowhere near their levels at the moment.

As has already been said, Sundays game is a huge one. We can’t afford to lose, but more than that we need to play well and look convincing. I’ll be there and be ecstatic if we turn the dippers over in style. But if there is a repeat of how we played against them in the league last season, expect more criticism.

Archived