FA Youth Cup 09/10

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 4 weeks later...

Well done! Our young fellahs are on the fifth round know!!! Nottingham were beaten 4-0. Mitrovic scored two, Clifford scored a 30-yard free-kick and Daniel Mills Pappoe scored an header. Next up is a home match against Pompey on 30th January. Decent start and lets hope this generation can go one further that the one two years ago:)

Was an excellent performance and we really do have some very promising youngsters at long last.

Josh Mcleachan the standout for me but several look promising.

However, I think it's a mistake to expect too much as the hype over Di Santo, Mancienne and others has been overdone in the past, but hopefully a couple of them could make it.

Edited by wicksy

Was an excellent performance and we really do have some very promising youngsters at long last.

Josh Mcleachan the standout for me but several look promising.

However, I think it's a mistake to expect too much as the hype over Di Santo, Mancienne and others has been overdone in the past, but hopefully a couple of them could make it.

I'll second that Wicksy.

McEachran is still only 16. Weres the No. 10 and looks a real prospect. Has an eye for a great pass and I can see him being our No. 10 if he continues to develop at the rate he is currently.

He actually got subbed last night but some others stepped up really well. It was 4-0 but could and should have been double that. The pick had to be Gokhan Tore who played wide left. He'll be 18 later this month and he completely ran the Forest defence ragged. He was brilliant. Also very impressed again with Sala. He should have scored at least a couple, but some of his touches and approach play were excellent.

I really do enjoy watching the youngsters these days. We have quite a squad and they play some very good football.

Edited by Nibs

It’s official, the Youth Cup runneth over with talented Chelsea youngsters yet again this season! Not often these days can you say ’Well, I enjoyed every minute of that game’ but on this occasion you could and with real justification. Four goals were scored (it should have been eight) and the quality of our play bore comparison with the Kakuta, Mellis, van Aanholt and Bruma batch from the campaign before last. I’d even go so far as to suggest that it was better in terms of confidence on the ball and the ability to carve out an endless flow of chances against opposition made to look second rate.

Except that Forest weren’t supposed to be second rate because they came into the contest on the back of a nine-game unbeaten run and, despite being battered throughout, managed to keep the score respectable until well into the second half. In truth, it was one of those matches that, if it had been boxing, the ref would have stopped the fight on the hour. Difficult though it is to single out individuals (this was an outstanding team performance) I’ll pick four definite stars of the future, which for these kids means at least a couple of seasons ahead, although in the case of the lad I’m starting with it could easily be sometime during the current year, if he continues to turn in this type of performance…

Gokhan Tore - man alive, is this guy on a one-winger mission to humiliate every defender he meets? After forty five minutes spent leaving their right back for dead and sending in a stream of pinpoint crosses he then proceeded to take the left back apart in a second half display that showed just why, at the tender age of seventeen, he’s in the Turkish Under-21s. Stockier than Stoch, he has as much in his locker, apart from Miroslav’s eye for goal, and a marvellous step-over that makes Ronaldo’s look as outdated as a Liverpool title run. Somehow, in the midst of the second or third sweep, the ball is dragged back before being diverted past the bemused defender - I can’t describe it in any other way, but the trick is damn effective that’s for sure!

Daniel Pappoe - at 6ft 3in, if he is still a schoolboy, what the hell are they feeding him? This is not a flippant enquiry either, because I’ll wager Danny (school)boy would not let us down should he be placed in the centre of our first team back four as of now, let alone in two seasons time. Calm and controlled on the ball, he matched Jeffery Bruma’s ability both in positional sense and the tackle and when his illustrious partner went off injured at half time he continued to dominate, eventually forcing the substitution of a crestfallen George Thompson who, along with Tom Mullen, formed Forest’s ineffectual spearhead in attack. He also found time, after only eight minutes, to head home the opening goal from a corner.

Aliu 'Kaby' Djalo - my first long look at this midfielder and I’m mighty impressed. Indeed, he’s so much like Kakuta in his turns and imaginative passing it’s going to be difficult to tell them apart should they ever play together in what would surely be a dazzling diamond. The promising forward Milan Lalkovic was left out of the front three to accommodate ’Kaby’ in midfield and he was the catalyst for chance after chance created all evening long. No question, he will make the grade and, as with Gokhan, I can’t believe that we are looking in the marketplace for either mid-term midfielders or wingmen when we have the likes of these players in our ranks.

Conor Clifford - a captain who definitely leads by example, he scored with a 35 yarder and tackled like a demented Dennis of old. To be honest, he reminds me more of Darren Fletcher, but with more class on the ball and less proclivity for headless chicken behaviour. Okay, the headless chicken analogy and comparison may be a marginal one, but, unlike Fletcher, he has time on his side to curb that instinct and even if he doesn’t, already being a an Irish international at Under 21 level, is ultimately more likely to follow in the footsteps of another master of the midfield destroyers craft who always seemed to find a way of escaping retribution. Never mind the past, as United and the Arse know to their cost when Fletcher and Song are not around, this type of player is a necessity in the modern game and in Conor Clifford we have a standby in the Essien mould in the making.

As an afterthought, it is unfair not to give honourable mentions to Josh McEachran (didn’t quite see it the way of Nibs and Wicksy) and Marko Mitrovic too, both having obvious talent in the midfield and striking departments respectively and I’m sure that on another night the former will settle into his game quicker and the latter will score the goals his all round play deserves rather than just two that were late, almost resignable, Forest giveaways.

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing that game, Connor Clifford is the one to watch for me, if he keeps progressing he could be........ well lets just hope he keeps working hard and progressing at his current rate.

Tore on the wing, was a demon. When I first saw him I thought he was the tubby ginger kid I went to school with, but he looked bloody brilliant last night. What impressed me most was that he had one thing that wingers don't normally develope until their mid to late twenties - he could pick the right ball.

Right across the park I thought we were strong, the majority will never get near our first team but I think there's enough talent in our youths at the moment to suggest a smattering might just make it.

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing that game, Connor Clifford is the one to watch for me, if he keeps progressing he could be........ well lets just hope he keeps working hard and progressing at his current rate.

Tore on the wing, was a demon. When I first saw him I thought he was the tubby ginger kid I went to school with, but he looked bloody brilliant last night. What impressed me most was that he had one thing that wingers don't normally develope until their mid to late twenties - he could pick the right ball.

Right across the park I thought we were strong, the majority will never get near our first team but I think there's enough talent in our youths at the moment to suggest a smattering might just make it.

This is the first I've seen this about Connor Clifford, and weirdly he was in my dream yesterday, we'd loaned him out to Everton and he scored a late winner against Stoke...watch this space. :lol:

When is the next game?

The home fifth round FA Youth Cup tie versus Portsmouth will be played on Thursday 28 January at Stamford Bridge.

It will kick off at 7pm and admission is free of charge. The match will be shown live on Chelsea TV, coverage starting 6.30pm.

• 2 weeks later...

The lads got through tonight by beating Portsmouth 1-0. Conor Clifford scored the winner.

superb news, he`s scoring some goals at the minute for the youth team. he`s captain as well isnt he?

And another good goal from Connor, I'm very impressed with him so far. I ony saw the first half and can't believe it remained 1-0, our youth team look like they're streets ahead of some of the others they're facing. A special mention should go to the 15 year old that was playing for Pompey, can't remember his name but he was every bit as good as the rest of there team.

Tore looked good again, but Sala looks like a bottle.

Are Billy and Connor Clifford related?

And another good goal from Connor, I'm very impressed with him so far. I ony saw the first half and can't believe it remained 1-0, our youth team look like they're streets ahead of some of the others they're facing. A special mention should go to the 15 year old that was playing for Pompey, can't remember his name but he was every bit as good as the rest of there team.

Tore looked good again, but Sala looks like a bottle.

Are Billy and Connor Clifford related?

I take it you are joking Barn?!!

I missed the last 25 minutes as I was playing 5-a-side myself, but we looked good again and I thought Sala had a pretty decent game.

The No. 9 (Mitrovic?) however had a bit of a mare and missed a hat-ful of chances.

Least we're through - anyone know when the next round is?

Great stuff, Skunkmeister, much appreciated!

Loved the way the team played, their passing was superb, let's hope we can bring some of these lads through to the first team in the next few years. Conor Clifford looks very promising, and Mitrovic could have had a hat-trick. Lots to be happy about!

Great stuff, Skunkmeister, much appreciated!

Loved the way the team played, their passing was superb, let's hope we can bring some of these lads through to the first team in the next few years. Conor Clifford looks very promising, and Mitrovic could have had a hat-trick. Lots to be happy about!

Indeed. It would be fantastic if these boys can win this season's FA Youth Cup. We have either Liverpool or Watford away in the sixth round of the competition.