The quest for a 100 PL Goals

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I don't know if anyone realises this, but Chelsea have the chance to potentially becoming the first team in Premier League history to score a 100 goals in a Premier League campaign. The current talley for the Blues stands at 82 goals from 32 games. In order for Chelsea to reach the landmark they are going have to score an average of three goals a game in those remaining six games.

These are Chelsea's last six games:

A: Manchester United

H: Bolton Wanderers

A: Tottenham Hotspur

H: Stoke City

A: Liverpool

H: Wigan Athletic

I would like to put forward the following question: Are the Blues going to achieve it?

I don't know if anyone realises this, but Chelsea have the chance to potentially becoming the first team in Premier League history to score a 100 goals in a Premier League campaign. The current talley for the Blues stands at 82 goals from 32 games. In order for Chelsea to reach the landmark they are going have to score an average of three goals a game in those remaining six games.

These are Chelsea's last six games:

A: Manchester United

H: Bolton Wanderers

A: Tottenham Hotspur

H: Stoke City

A: Liverpool

H: Wigan Athletic

I would like to put forward the following question: Are the Blues going to achieve it?

Odds are certainly against us as there are 3 really difficult away games coming up. But we have been doing really well against the top sides this season and if we can continue our recent form then why not. How much is the current record? Lets just put that as a mini-target:)

EDIT: ManU scored 97 on 1999/2000. Lets beat that!

Edited by disillusion

I would rather we averaged three points a game till the end of the season. But it is nice to see we are outscoring people as our critics say we are boring etc etc etc

Indeed. In fact earlier on this season there was a article written in the Times that Arsenal were likely to be the team that would score a hundred goals in a Premier League campaign. How ironic would it be if we (Chelsea) were the the team that not only stops Manchester United from winning their four consecutive Premier League title, but also become the first Premier League side to score a hundred goals in a Premier League campaign.

Certainly not impossible to reach 100 goals. I doubt we'll score many against ManU, Spurs and Pool. But, 2 in each game is possible. Then again, we have scored 3-4 goals on Pool a few times so why not do that again now when they aren't playing too well?

Then we just have to see what we can do against the three other teams. I can see us beating each of them with quite a few goals, if we keep the form we're in now.

A: Manchester United - 2 goals

H: Bolton Wanderers - 4 goals

A: Tottenham Hotspur - 3 goals

H: Stoke City - 4 goals

A: Liverpool - 2 goals

H: Wigan Athletic - 3 goals

Certainly not impossible.

Then again, I don't care if we only score 1 goal in each game if we take home the title ::clap2::

I have been doing more research on this subject, and can report to fellow members that Chelsea have scored the seventh highest total of goals scored in a Premier League campaign. We are currently level with Kevin Keegan's Newcastle United side from the 1993-1994 season, when they had the likes of Andy Cole up front for them.

Below is the list of teams that have scored 80+goals in a Premier League campaign:

1. Manchester United - 97 (1999-2000)

2. Manchester United - 87 (2001-2002)

3. Arsenal - 87 (2004-2005)

4. Arsenal - 85 (2002-2003)

5. Manchester United - 83 (2006-2007)

6. Newcastle United - 82 (1993-1994)

7. Chelsea - 82* (2009-2010)

8. Manchester United - 80 (1993-1994)

9. Blackburn Rovers - 80 (1994-1995)

10. Manchester United - 80 (1998-1999)

11. Manchester United - 80 (2007-2008)

The ones in bold denote teams that went on to win the Premier League while the star next to Chelsea's 82 goals means that it is still in play.

Edited by The Machine

The two goals scored today by Chelsea today means that the club now have the fifth best goalscoring record since the formation of the Premier League in 1992. Below is an up to date list:

2. Manchester United - 87 (2001-02)

3. Arsenal - 87 (2004-05)

4. Arsenal - 85 (2002-03)

5. Chelsea - 84* (2009-10)

6. Manchester United - 83 (2006-07)

7. Newcastle United - 82 (1993-94)

8. Manchester United - 80 (1993-94)

9. Blackburn Rovers - 80 (1994-95)

10. Manchester United - 80 (1998-99)

11. Manchester United - 80 (2007-08)

Well if we fail to get to 2nd place I will be very disappointed. We would probably lose the title then as well.

It would be really nice to see a real thrashing in our next game. 7-0 or so. Then we might have a chance at reaching 100 :)

Certainly not impossible to reach 100 goals. I doubt we'll score many against ManU, Spurs and Pool. But, 2 in each game is possible. Then again, we have scored 3-4 goals on Pool a few times so why not do that again now when they aren't playing too well?

Then we just have to see what we can do against the three other teams. I can see us beating each of them with quite a few goals, if we keep the form we're in now.

A: Manchester United - 2 goals

H: Bolton Wanderers - 4 goals

A: Tottenham Hotspur - 3 goals

H: Stoke City - 4 goals

A: Liverpool - 2 goals

H: Wigan Athletic - 3 goals

Certainly not impossible.

Then again, I don't care if we only score 1 goal in each game if we take home the title ::ChELSeAFaN::

One down, five to go!

• 3 weeks later...

The two goals scored today by Chelsea today means that the club now have the fifth best goalscoring record since the formation of the Premier League in 1992. Below is an up to date list:

2. Manchester United - 87 (2001-02)

3. Arsenal - 87 (2004-05)

4. Arsenal - 85 (2002-03)

5. Chelsea - 84* (2009-10)

6. Manchester United - 83 (2006-07)

7. Newcastle United - 82 (1993-94)

8. Manchester United - 80 (1993-94)

9. Blackburn Rovers - 80 (1994-95)

10. Manchester United - 80 (1998-99)

11. Manchester United - 80 (2007-08)

After 7-0 win yesterday we are 2nd, with 93 Goals and 2 games left.

So a 3-1 win against liverpool and 2-0 or 3-0 against wigan And we take 1st place.

Besides that i think we already havde the record for best "Goal Difference" we have currently +61, and the record is +55 for Manchester U i think.