Eurovision Song Contest 2010

The Moos

I know I'm one of the few who loves the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC), but maybe things have changed :)

Anyway, I'm crazy about this event and it's almost like a 2nd birthday. Been watching the swedish qualifications (there's a total of 6 parts) and have listened to all the songs that will compete in the semifinals and the finals several times.

Some are of course absolute garbage (Great Britain is one of the worst I'm sorry to say), but some are quite good. I don't like the one we sent from Sweden and I would be surprised if it finished near the top. Still, looking at where we've finished in the last few years we can't do much worse anyway.

Norway is the hosts since Alexander Rybak won last year with his song "Fairytale" - I loved that song!

Here's the homepage for the competition and I think you can listen to all the songs here as well: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home

Anyone other than me who is interested? Who do you think will win?

Anyone other than me who is interested?

Not really. If even a third of the songs were good, I might watch it, but it's just not my kind of music. I usually hear a few of the songs every year from various sources, but I tend to remember just the most terrible ones. I heard some of the songs on the radio the other day. They had a show where they listened to all the songs in this year's competition. I was going to change the channel but then the host said that Serbia's song is coming up and that it has been written and composed by Goran Bregovic(I like the music he has written for movies), so I had to listen to some songs before Serbia's song came and I have to say it was a poor effort from Mr. Bregovic. Lithuania's song was poor as well, but at least it's better than that absolutely dreadful "We Are the Winners" song they had a few years ago. That was Lithuania, right? I wasn't sure if I'd heard Finland's entry so I checked it out just now and it's quite poor.

I have no idea who could win it cause I don't follow it as religiously as you do, Moos! However, I love watching it, I think it's great! You have nothing to worry about the UK however - our song is woefully bad.

"You bring the sunshine, I'll bring the good times" - Are we being serious? We'll be the laughing stock once again.

When is it, by the way?

Personally I really like Norway, Belgium, Greece and Israel this year. Croatia, Denmark and Iceland is good too.

Netherlands has one of those songs that are so bad but really makes me smile for some odd reason.

When is it, by the way?

The final is on next saturday - the 29th of may - but the semifinals is on 25th and 27th (on tuesday and thursday next week).

They had to move it because UEFA decided to have the final of the Champions League on a saturday instead of on a wednesday.

Not really. If even a third of the songs were good, I might watch it, but it's just not my kind of music. I usually hear a few of the songs every year from various sources, but I tend to remember just the most terrible ones. I heard some of the songs on the radio the other day. They had a show where they listened to all the songs in this year's competition. I was going to change the channel but then the host said that Serbia's song is coming up and that it has been written and composed by Goran Bregovic(I like the music he has written for movies), so I had to listen to some songs before Serbia's song came and I have to say it was a poor effort from Mr. Bregovic. Lithuania's song was poor as well, but at least it's better than that absolutely dreadful "We Are the Winners" song they had a few years ago. That was Lithuania, right? I wasn't sure if I'd heard Finland's entry so I checked it out just now and it's quite poor.

Oh dear, "We are the winners" really was awful. Can't believe it actually finished quite well. And it also got to 14th place on the Finnish Singles Chart :)

To think that one competed in the same year as one of my all time favourite songs in the ESC - "Lejla" (Bosnia and Herzegovina).

The song from Finland this year kinda shocked me. In recent years you've sent some really nice songs. First two hard rock songs and last year a more modern techno song that was one of the favourites to win (too bad it wasn't that good in the live performance). This year Finland sent something completely different. First time I heard it I had to turn it off because I thought it was so awful. But having listened to it 3-4 times it really grows on you. It's not good, but it has something special. And it feels genuine.

Serbia's song is quite alright. Not as good as I had hoped, but still not that bad. It might make it into the finals, but it wont win. Will probably finish above Sweden anyway.

Stride I used to love it when I was a kiddie in the 60s but it's been so crap for the past 30 or so years I cannot believe it's been going so long. Terry Wogan used to make it bearable for his sarcastic remarks.

Anyone who starts a Eurovision Song Contest thread on a Chelsea forum should be sin binned. You've got enough programmes on Swedish television about Eurovision without bringing it up here.

Oh dear, "We are the winners" really was awful. Can't believe it actually finished quite well. And it also got to 14th place on the Finnish Singles Chart :)

You need to sell about six copies to make in into the singles chart in Finland. Singles chart has never been very important in Finland because of the low sales compared to album sales, so the official album chart has always been the more important one. I own two CD singles myself and I've received them both as a gift. The only singles I've ever bought myself were 7" inch singles my brother and I bought on our family trip to England in early '90s. When I was a kid, some record stores didn't even have singles in stock, or had just one small stack of them.

I tend to buy full albums and that has been the case with pretty much all of my friends. Of course my friends and I aren't the whole Finland, but I think Finland in general has traditionally been an album buying country and singles have been more of a curiosity. This is why it's easy to get to charts with these novelty records because you don't need to sell all that many copies. Illegal and legal downloads have changed this, but I think album is still the king.

We should of sent Eric Saade - Manboy insted of Anna Bergendahl.. Im expecting us to finish amongst the last 5..

Eric Saade had a song that was too common. Turn on the radio and you'll hear several songs that sounds about the same as his. That can't be a good thing....can it?

Salem al Fakir was better if you ask me, though personally I just loved Kalle Moraeus. I can't get enough of it.

I hope you're not right about that "finish amongst the last 5", but I would not be surprised if you were right. Would be nice to make it to the final atleast.

Well the first semi final was last night and boy was it bad. The worst semi final in the history of ESC for sure.

After the first few songs I wondered if this wasn't some kind of "ESC for biggest rejects" or something. Not even songs that I had heard and thought relatively good was good. Estonia had an interesting song but their performance was absolutely ridiculous. What the hell is wrong with them?!

Few song had good performances on stage actually. Most was pretty bad. And some singers was really bad as well. A few times I wondered how on earth they could come this far. Shouldn't blame them really because the real idiots are the ones who voted for them. Stupid gits.

And a suggestion for all the artists out there: if you want to sing in english then for the love of God make sure who actually know english.

There was songs last night I thought was in a different language but apparently were sung in english. Just look at Belarus. I think I recognised 3-4 words throughout the entire song.

Anyway, here's the songs that made it through to the final:

Moldova - "Run Away"

- decent song.

Russia - "Lost and Forgotten"

- worst piece of sh*t I've heard.

Serbia - "Ove Je Balkan"

- somehow I like it, though I do not know why.

Bosnia & Herzegovina - "Thunder and Lightning"

- bad singing, bad song and bad guitar.

Belgium - "Me and My Guitar"

- one of my favourites.

Albania - "It's all about you"

- okay song though the performance wasn't good.

Greece - "Opa!"

- I love it!

Portugal - "Dá Dias Assim"

- sounds like a Disney song but I like it.

Belarus - "Butterflies"

- makes me puke even if it's a swede at the piano.

Iceland - "Je Ne Sais Quoi"

- brilliant!

Overall I was pleased with the songs that went through. Of course there are a few that I really hate, but atleast the ones I liked the most made it.

Tomorrow is the 2nd semi final and as far as I can tell there will be better songs then. Too bad Sweden have to compete then and not yesterday. Gonna make it alot harder to get to the final. Our song isn't that good so it's gonna be tough.

Anyone watched last night (and didn't fall asleep)? What did you think?

I love Belgium's entry, it's real music that I can see being added to my mp3 in the near future!

I agree. I really like that one. But I have listened to it so many times that I don't know if I'll like it much longer :)

Without Terry Wogan, the Eurovision has just descended to me trying to block out Graham Norton's drawling series of unfunny quips and giving the countries marks out of ten based on how big the girls' tits are.

England appalling as usual.

I would rather boil my genitals in lemon curd than watch Eurovision. Graham Norton and Eurovision fit like hand in glove, two forgettable things that, if they ever had any quality, it died a death many years ago.

I read that England's effort came in last with 10 points. It must have had a few nil points.

Quite a few, yes. 35 nil points actually. The few points you got came from:

Azerbajdzjan - 2 points

Ireland - 4 points (nice to be able to count on the neighbours :D )

Georgia - 3 points

Albania - 1 point

When I hear songs like the one Great Britain sent from any of the "big four" I feel it's so unfair that those for doesn't have to go through a semifinal to get to the final.

Archived