Giovani Dos Santos

If this is the Barca to Spurs guy who didnt even make it there then hell no.

He is not the same player he was in Barca. This guy is an incredible talent and it was just on display in the Gold Cup final against the US. Personally, I have never seen a player run that fast with the ball on his foot except for Ronaldinho.

He is still a Tottenham player which may encourage them to loosen their grip on Modric. Modric is more disciplined and maybe a more complete player but Dos Santos can step in and be that driving force behind a forward line.

He didn't have much opposition yesterday TBH. :(

Oh I know. Tearing apart an American backline, especially that one, is no big feat. Regardless, he looked like one of the fastest players I have ever seen yesterday.

This has to be a joke. He has a good game against a poor US defense and suddenly he's a player we need? Let's not forget he can't even make it into the Spurs side...

edit: it has to be said, a Spurs side in which Aaron Lennon is starting over him...

Edited by Planet Drogba

He is not the same player he was in Barca. This guy is an incredible talent and it was just on display in the Gold Cup final against the US. Personally, I have never seen a player run that fast with the ball on his foot except for Ronaldinho.

He is still a Tottenham player which may encourage them to loosen their grip on Modric. Modric is more disciplined and maybe a more complete player but Dos Santos can step in and be that driving force behind a forward line.

Guy couldn't cut the mustard @ Spurs... Why Chelsea? And he did look good against the US but was there any defense played at all? US's backline was disgustingly horrible that match...

Guy couldn't cut the mustard @ Spurs... Why Chelsea? And he did look good against the US but was there any defense played at all? US's backline was disgustingly horrible that match...

Who you're playing against doesn't change what you see from the player. Gio can run with the ball at his feet at a seriously fast pace, great control of the ball and excellent change of direction skills. I don't care who he is playing against, he showed some special abilities.

Who you're playing against doesn't change what you see from the player. Gio can run with the ball at his feet at a seriously fast pace, great control of the ball and excellent change of direction skills. I don't care who he is playing against, he showed some special abilities.

I do agree that he is still a good enough prospect that if Spurs wanted to get rid of him for around 2m, I would not be against him moving to us as a squad player. However, he will likely not move for cheap, and he's not yet done enough to warrant a "big money" move.

Technically, he is an excellent player and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis in this respect.

What makes dos Santos such a devastating player at International level makes him relatively ineffective for his club. He has the skills but doesn't have the brain. For a guy of his talent, he is relatively devoid of creativity. He seems to have very little awareness of his teammates. At International level, that's ok, because Mexico's tactics are increasingly becoming about getting the ball as fast as possible to Guardado and dos Santos. Even then, it's still a generalisation, as dos Santos does help his teammates around the box. However, as a winger in Spurs' system or any flat 4-4-2, dos Santos has the recieve the ball deep or even centrally at times, and he seems incapable of playing with his teammates to get himself in better positions.

I am very much of the opinion, however, that such a lack of awareness can be coached out when a manager has a good system in place. Developing a system which allows dos Santos to get into one-vs-one situations would help him immensely.

The real question is, therefore, is is feasible to sign such a player, who is relatively unproven and has a bad reputation for off-field issues, and essentially build a team around him? For a top-level, Champions' League club, i'd say no. For a slightly smaller club, your Tottenhams, Villareals, etc, he could be an invaluable player.

One other thing: I disagree about Ronaldinho and dos Santos. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a player as fast as Lionel Messi with the ball as his feet throughout football history. Zidane had a similar level of control but without the raw speed Messi possesses as well.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Technically, he is an excellent player and I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis in this respect.

What makes dos Santos such a devastating player at International level makes him relatively ineffective for his club. He has the skills but doesn't have the brain. For a guy of his talent, he is relatively devoid of creativity. He seems to have very little awareness of his teammates. At International level, that's ok, because Mexico's tactics are increasingly becoming about getting the ball as fast as possible to Guardado and dos Santos. Even then, it's still a generalisation, as dos Santos does help his teammates around the box. However, as a winger in Spurs' system or any flat 4-4-2, dos Santos has the recieve the ball deep or even centrally at times, and he seems incapable of playing with his teammates to get himself in better positions.

I am very much of the opinion, however, that such a lack of awareness can be coached out when a manager has a good system in place. Developing a system which allows dos Santos to get into one-vs-one situations would help him immensely.

The real question is, therefore, is is feasible to sign such a player, who is relatively unproven and has a bad reputation for off-field issues, and essentially build a team around him? For a top-level, Champions' League club, i'd say no. For a slightly smaller club, your Tottenhams, Villareals, etc, he could be an invaluable player.

One other thing: I disagree about Ronaldinho and dos Santos. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a player as fast as Lionel Messi with the ball as his feet throughout football history. Zidane had a similar level of control but without the raw speed Messi possesses as well.

I agree with most of what you wrote about GDS. I also think Messi is fast. However, as someone from this board showed me this video years ago, I will now post this, not sure what I am trying to prove.

As I remember from this board when I first saw this video: "Messi smelling Kaka farts":