An evening with Alan Hudson at Crawley Town FC

ctsa

A-Hudson-2-300x247.jpgHi all, forgive my intrusion. I'm aware that there are many Chelsea supporters in Sussex- indeed I know of a large number who watch CTFC fairly regularly, particularly when Chelsea are playing on a Sunday- and I thought you may be interested in this event.

On Saturday 18th February, Alan Hudson, one of the greatest players of the 60's and 70's, will be visiting Redz Bar at Crawley Town Football Club and regaling us with tales of his time with Chelsea, Arsenal, Stoke City and England.

Relax and listen to stories from your childhood- tales of Pele, Best, Beckenbauer, Cruyff - and Osgood- whilst hearing the truth about his bust ups with the likes of Ramsey, Revie, Clough and Sexton. And take the opportunity to participate in a lively question and answer session, collect autographs, and look out for some possible special guests!

This is a one off experience specially commissioned to celebrate our FA Cup 5th Round tie with Stoke City. Demand promises to be high, so reserve your tickets quickly! Tickets are priced at £15 per person, the bar will be open and food available. The event will start at 7.30 PM, but doors will be open at 6.30 PM so you can arrive early and grab the best seats!

To book, visit the Crawley Town Supporters Alliance cabin on Saturday before or after our match with Aldershot, call 07565974103, or email secretary@ctfcsa.co.uk. Otherwise you can pay on the door, but once we're full, we're full!

All profits will go to fund the CTSA's work within the community.

Alan Hudson flier.pdf

A-Hudson-2-300x247.jpgHi all, forgive my intrusion. I'm aware that there are many Chelsea supporters in Sussex- indeed I know of a large number who watch CTFC fairly regularly, particularly when Chelsea are playing on a Sunday- and I thought you may be interested in this event.

On Saturday 18th February, Alan Hudson, one of the greatest players of the 60's and 70's, will be visiting Redz Bar at Crawley Town Football Club and regaling us with tales of his time with Chelsea, Arsenal, Stoke City and England.

Let us know if he has anything positive to say.

Edited by Backbiter

Always has a moan about Chelsea in the press and about how he's skint but Chelsea are paying their players crazy money, etc. Think he even tuned down coming to a recent Chesea dinner because we didn't pay for his travel to get there.... and then bitched to the press about it

He's done nothing but rave about his time with Chelsea and his love for the club since I've been talking to him. I've been given strict instructions to invite Chelsea fans as he wants particularly to talk about his years there. So I'm surprised by the stuff you're saying here!

I am very surprised he said that, is he getting expenses paid?

Expenses?! He gets paid, but no expenses! Profits go to our "Soccer Schools" initiative where we give kids in some of the poorest parts of Sussex the opportunity to receive professional coaching at their school. If you're local to Crawley tomorrow night, please come along- 7.30 at Crawley Town FC, Redz Bar- and we'll be delighted to see you.

Take care

Ian

Crawley Town Supporters Alliance

Ian, very best of luck with the event. It's true that he does bitch about us in the press more than anyone else from that era and he's very bitter about the fact that he never got as much as players these days do. But, what you're doing is a good thing and he was a great player and so I really hope it's a successful evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the evening went well.

In fairness to Alan Hudson, much of his bitterness resulted from a variety of injuries and illnesses, compounded by personal problems, including alcoholism and bankruptcy.

I am still searching for a reasonably priced edition of The Working Man's Ballet by Alan Hudson, which is by all accounts, a fascinating read. The follow up, entitled "The Tinker and Talisman" is far more readily available, often at a very reasonable price. Having very recently bought the book, I have not yet had the time to actually read it. What I can tell you is that includes forwards from George Best (To my mate Huddy .... Your pal, George Best) and from our own Frank Lampard, who commences his contribution with: "Many people have a lot to thank Alan Hudson for and I am no exception".

And finally, from the back cover:

Alan Hudson is guaranteed a place in my all time Chelsea XI, not only was he a great player but a great character as well and there is not enough of them in the game today!

Best wishes: Jimmy Greaves

best wishes to Huds, a fantastic player in 70's Chels, sold to pay for the East Stand. He declined to play for England U23s having allegedly been tipped off by Bobby Moore that he was a cert to start in full international... a strop and why not? He later played at Wembley against West Germany and ran rings around Gunter Netzer who was widely regarded as the world's No. 1 midfielder, for which he was widely praised... even by the anti Chels media, and never forget how brilliant he was in Athens, Cup Winners' Final.

I sincerely regret missing the evening... and one of my grandsons is on Crawley's youth books !!!!

Since posting earlier today, I've finally managed to find that elusive copy of "The Working Man's Ballet", which I shall now read before commencing "The Tinker and Talisman"..

However, here's a further excerpt from the foreword by George Best which I think is well worth sharing:

Great stuff pal, it brings back many wonderful memories and none better than the goal I scored at Old Trafford in the League Cup when Chopper tried to catapult me out of the ground. I buckled but unlike today's 'divers' stayed on my feet to score one of my all time favourite goals in a red shirt. However, it is no secret that I wanted to wear the royal blue one when Charlie Cooke, Peter Osgood and yourself were strutting your stuff. can you just imagine the looks on the opposition's faces when reading our team sheet just half an hour before we left the dressing room. Goodness gracious!
Edited by Drake

• 2 weeks later...

"Working Man's Ballet" arrived yesterday, and it's already proving to be something of a goldmine. I've also added Matthew Harding's introduction, to the book entitled The Pleasure and the Pain" along with Alan Hudson's own Matthew Harding: A Tribute to a new thread here, both of which are I feel, well worth sharing.

And now a few images from "Working Man's Ballet" (captions by Alan Hudson):

alanhudsonmitcham1968.jpg

Assistant manager Ron Stuart gives Tony Frewin and myself a few tips on how to keep away from the King's Road while at Mitcham training ground in 1968.

alanhudson1970cupfinald.jpg

Day of the 1970 Final, and I can only make the head tennis team. The famous 'Cage' is in the background - the other Wembley.

alanhudsonpeterosgoodge.jpg

Peter Osgood's testimonial in 1975, Georger Best's only time in a Chelsea shirt, what a shame that was.

And finally, an image I've already included in the Matthew Harding: A tribute thread:

alanhudsonmatthewhardin.jpg

A picture to treasure. in the tunnel with Matthew Harding before the same Southampton game [as mentioned in the book] of 1995.