FA Cup - Now critical?

ruthwilliams86

New here, and worried that this season will now end with no trophies. Which is ok if we are rebuilding for the future, getting fresh players in, new team etc,...

However I sense that future of AVB will hang on the FA Cup, if we lose to Birmingham will he go now? as plenty of time to get new manager in, or even if we win and struggle in Leicester game or semi final?

So is it FA cup or nothing .. or FA Cup v bringing new team in.

Surely AVB will play our best team, including reliable senior players, against birmingham, to ensure victory?

to go to Birmingham and lose against WBA and then Birmingham City would be woeful? surely not even thinkable?

are there some who want us to lose so AVB gets the sack asap?

The FA Cup is our only chance of silverware this season, and in my opinion the only chance we've got of beating Birmingham is by bringing in some youngsters. Lampard, Drogba & Malouda have shown too many times this season that they just don't care, drop them for the cup games and it might be the kick up the arse they need. Well, not Malouda, he needs kicking all the way back to France asap.

Can't see it happening though, and I fully expect to see us to get knocked out of the FA Cup, swiftly followed by defeat by Napoli.

The FA Cup is our only chance of silverware this season, and in my opinion the only chance we've got of beating Birmingham is by bringing in some youngsters. Lampard, Drogba & Malouda have shown too many times this season that they just don't care, drop them for the cup games and it might be the kick up the arse they need. Well, not Malouda, he needs kicking all the way back to France asap.

Can't see it happening though, and I fully expect to see us to get knocked out of the FA Cup, swiftly followed by defeat by Napoli.

Its certainly not looking good and the Manager is in a tricky situation, on the one hand he talks to the players...the players who looked like the best available eleven against Bolton and tells them they were sh*t against WBA and WBA made them look like a championship team with no backbone, he tells them they need to train hard and assure him they are going to give him 100% effort against Birmingham if he picks them, if anyone says anything out of line about his tactics, gameplan or how they know better than him about anything he could sling them out of the group and tell the rest if any of them undermine him thats what will happen to them, to be honest, that would be my route.

On the other hand he could play some Young players, he can't go over the top with this so he needs to know (as we do ) whos with him and trying to save the season and who wants him out and a nice lazy three months before the Summer sees them con another Manager or move on, my choice here would depend on reactions to the defeat and the verbal I gave them from the players...

I'd like to see Bertrand at LB for sure, AVB singled Cole out as being the bright spark in a sea of darkness yesterday but I didn't see it and thought that done Cech a disservice, I think he played ok but didn't look like he was busting a gut for the cause and I think he got skinned often, his pace is going and I think Ryan could be a better player very soon with a run of games.

I can't get my head round Sturridge's contribution, hes quick, eye for Goal, says all the right stuff but the greedy side haunts me, I thought he was either unfit yesterday or had something on his mind, he has been good to be fair and he would keep his place on the right for me.

I would give Lukaku a start in the centre and let Drogba know that I intended to bring him on to bully them late on, I think Lukaku would cause problems and if he didn't score, his willingness would be a big asset, half hour to go though and needing a goal, I'd still back Drogba to make something happen.

I wouldn't play Frank unless a huge discussion took place and he said he wanted to be here next season and wanted to do it my way, if not he wouldn't be starting and I'd let Romau Ramires and Essien start.

Mata seemed to have lost his touch yesterday but I put that down to frustration and West Brom being very quick to close people down, Birmingham will have watched that and try the same tactic, he'll have to be on his game but has to start.

I would be very tempted to have Luiz at RB, I know people say he should be in midfield but he was over there yesterday for a while and I think him and Ivan swapping over would work, Ivan is less mistake prone and David gets forward quicker with a better eye for goal or a pass.

Anyway thats me chelsea manager for a day, would love to see Andre try some of it but five million quid a year likely dictates he puts his trust in the players that let him down.

Lets hope if he does they remember they should have a bit of pride.

Edited by Chippy

Winning the FA Cup would just be a new coat of paint on a sinking ship.

Yup. This season has become such a farce I really dont even care what happens. I cant even believe I am saying that, but like Beneathus winning the European cup it might just hide the real issues at work here with the gloss of silverware.

In view of what hasjust happened Chippy, how would you feel about taking it for a bit longer?!!

I'd like the Job mate but I would insist on bringing in Ronaldo recalling Josh and having Mourinho as my no2...someones gotta make the Tea and clean Josh's Boots for him :smile:

100% agree, as much as i love Robbie & Eddie, (1997 Cup Final memories blur my vision....) i can't help thinking this is WBA's management team from last season that got the sack...whats gonna happen at Chelsea with them?? and i ain't trying to be a harbinger of doom, i want to win ANY cup...