Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lofty.

Rangers vs Celtic City of Glasgow Cup Final 29/04/2013 19:00 BST

Rangers Under 17's Going For Glory

7e4ec0e19b6948a5a210f357fc7445ed_XL.jpg

THE Glasgow Football Association is delighted to announce the City of Glasgow Cup Final will take place on Monday, April 29 at Firhill Stadium with a 7pm kick-off.

Rangers will meet Celtic in the final of a competition which stretches back to 1887 and is actually the second oldest trophy to be played for in world football.  

The event has received fresh momentum in recent years having been re-introduced as an U17 tournament.

Rangers, Celtic, Clyde, Partick Thistle and Queen's Park all form the Glasgow Football Association and have each competed for this year's trophy through a round-robin format.

The Glasgow Cup is once again sponsored by City Refrigeration Holdings Ltd and all clubs who have taken part in this year’s event would once again like to thank City and Willie Haughey for their continued magnificent support.

Rangers U17 Coach Billy Kirkwood said: “We enjoyed a terrific Glasgow Cup final victory over Celtic at Ibrox last season and we look forward to this year’s showpiece at Firhill as the competition is a great opportunity for our young players to play in a final in front of big crowds.  

“Indeed in the last three seasons, six academy graduates have gone on from the Glasgow Cup to play in successful SPL and League Cup winning teams and have also featured in the Champions League and Europa League while 10 additional graduates have featured in competitive first team action in SFL3 this season.

"This includes Danny Stoney and Tom Walsh, who are still eligible for this year’s final despite making their first-team debuts already.  

“I am sure this match will capture the imagination of both sets of supporters again and we expect another good crowd to show their support in this Old Firm youth game.â€

Tickets will be priced £5 for adults and £2 concessions and are on sale to season ticket holders from the Rangers Ticket Centre at Ibrox Stadium from today.

They are also available online at www.rangers.co.uk or by calling 0871 702 1972 (Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras).

Further information on the City of Glasgow Cup can be found at the recently launched Glasgow FA website. Please go to www.glasgowfa.co.uk.

DANNY STONEY: EYES ON THE PRIZE

450c27f271bf518f2c0f7aa67ef2d4d4_XL.jpg

DANNY STONEY wants to take his momentum from recent first-team appearances into tonight’s Glasgow Cup final with Celtic at Firhill and help his side retain the trophy.

The 16-year-old made another appearance for Rangers off the bench in yesterday’s 4-2 win over East Stirlingshire in the Third Division at Ochilview.

Stoney even had a hand in David Templeton’s second of the match when he might have shot himself and he made a positive impression once again.

Now his attentions turn to the under-17 derby with Gers’ city rivals for a prize he helped the side win last year on penalties at Ibrox.

Stoney has played for the reserves lately as well in what has been a whirlwind period for the teenager.

And he’s looking to keep his career on an upward curve with a victory in Maryhill as Billy Kirkwood’s team looks to secure the club’s 48th title in that competition.

Stoney said: “It has been a great experience for me lately. Getting a chance with the first team has been brilliant and hopefully I’ve taken it.

“I’m a Rangers fan and I’m happy to play for the team I support. Now I’m just looking to get more games under my belt.

“The next one is the Glasgow Cup final and I look forward to every game I play, no matter what level it’s at.

“I’ll just try my hardest to impress the manager and whoever the coaches are I’m working with.

“I hope we win against Celtic on Monday. It’s a big game for the club and we all want to keep going in the right direction.â€

It’s fair to say Stoney is a lad who isn’t lacking when it comes to confidence and that was certainly the case against Shire.

His contribution to Templeton’s second goal was significant in that he made a bursting run with the ball past a number of opponents before squaring to Lee McCulloch.

He could have taken on the shooting chance himself instead but showed intelligence to cut back and the ball was eventually converted by the former Hearts winger.

Stoney added: “I was hoping to shoot and get my first goal for the club but I knew Lee was at the far post.

“If I didn’t cut it back to Jig I thought he would blast me so I squared it to him but he fluffed it so I’m still taking it as an assist for Temps!

“It would have been a dream come true if I’d got the goal myself but hopefully I get another chance next week and I can get one myself.â€

Greg Pasczio: Going For Glory

70238631ffd7abd1952aa36b81c3868a_XL.jpg

GREG PASCAZIO hopes Rangers can make up for throwing away a two-goal lead the last time they played Celtic by beating them in the Glasgow Cup final tonight.

The sides met last month in the group section at Murray Park and led comfortably at the break through goals from Ryan Hardie and Danny Stoney.

But they allowed their opponents to come back after the restart and they ended up drawing 2-2 instead.

There was a great deal of regret in Billy Kirkwood’s under-17 squad that victory had not been achieved when it really should have been.

And skipper Pascazio is desperate to put that right this evening in the deciding match of the tournament, which kicks off at 7pm and takes place at Firhill.

He said: “We drew our last game with Celtic 2-2 and we felt then we could have won it. We threw it away a bit in the second half.

“Hopefully this is a better game and we can do better on this occasion. We definitely feel we can do that.

“We’ve got Tom Walsh back playing for us which is a big thing because he’s a really good addition to our squad.

“In midfield we feel we can do well and hopefully that can help us go on to get a positive result.

“We’re going into the match on a high as well after quite a few of us played for the reserves against Airdrie last week.

“Ryan scored six goals in that game so he’ll be confident and coming forward we feel we are capable.

“I was injured last year so I watched the final from the bench and I’ve been dreaming about winning the competition myself ever since then.â€

Kirkwood’s team tonight will include Danny Stoney, who played once again at the weekend for the first team in their 4-2 win at East Stirlingshire.

Tom Walsh is also fit again after spending time out recently with an ankle injury and that’s a boost for the squad.

Both those players featured in last season’s final success against Celtic and Pascazio knows the competition has worked well as a platform for emerging players.

He added: “We’ve seen this season with the current situation at the club that you can get into the first team if you’re a young player.

“There have been a lot of boys who have got in there, with Luca Gasparotto, Danny and Tom among them.

“Danny and Tom played in last year’s Glasgow Cup final and you can see that game helped them. They’ve really progressed since then.â€

Nothing confirmed yet, but there may be a stream available. Check FSi for updates.

No streams unfortunately, so it looks like we'll have to make do with updates from Rangers' official twitter page.

Tonight's starting XI: Kelly, Sinnamon, Mills, Brownlie, Pascazio, Mossie, Ogen, Dykes, Hardie, Stoney, Walsh

On the bench: Adam Wilson, Stephen Chatterton, Ben Reilly, Lewis Morgan and Jamie Wilson

Half time: Rangers 2-1 Celtic

The story of the first half from @RFC_Official:

- Rangers kick us off! Come on the Gers!

- Ten minutes in and it's still goalless. Rangers with two good chances already, one from Sinnamon cleared off the line!

- Celtic awarded a penalty after Brownlie hauled down McMullan...

- McMullan with the penalty and he strokes it past Kelly, Celtic take the lead. RFC 0:1 CFC

- GOAL! Rangers equalise through through Hardie! Excellent ball delivered into the box, ball controlled and lashed home. RFC 1:1 CFC

- GOAL! Rangers take the lead! Junior Ogen with a fantastic dribble through the heart of the CFC defence before passing past Hart. 2:1

- Rangers forced into a change, with Danny Stoney coming off, replaced by Adam Wilson

- Rangers with the lead at halftime in the Glasgow Cup Final! Come on the Gers!

Final Score: Rangers 3-2 Celtic

Second half updates, again from @RFC_Official:

- Second half kicks off, come on Rangers!

- '47 - Hardie forcing the Celtic keeper into a smart save at the near post early in the second half.

- '58 - GOAL! Junior Ogen gets his second goal of the night to give Rangers a 3:1 lead in the Glasgow Cup Final.

- '75 - GOAL: Celtic get one back, its 3:2 to Rangers in the Glasgow Cup Final.

- FT: #RFC 3:2 #CFC (Ogen x2, Hardie) Rangers win the Glasgow Cup Final! #ChampionsRFC

*RANGERS WIN THE GLASGOW CUP*

Rangers U17 3-2 Celtic U17

RANGERS came from behind in a Glasgow Cup final full of talking points to win the competition for a record 48th time as they beat Celtic 3-2 at Firhill.

The Parkhead team broke the deadlock early on with a penalty but Billy Kirkwood’s kids rallied well and went in front themselves through goals from Ryan Hardie and Junior Ogen.

Ogen then made it 3-1 with the goal of the game and that proved to be the winner, with a second from McMullan a mere consolation.

It was a thrilling comeback from the Auchenhowie starlets, who were worthy winners at the end of a pulsating 90 minutes.

And it’s a triumph which adds to an already successful campaign for the youth academy following the SFL Reserve League win back in February.

This was the fourth time in six years Gers have claimed the trophy since the tournament was relaunched as a youth event in 2008.

And it was one thousands of travelling Light Blues fans celebrated as though it was a much bigger prize.

Rangers started the game with three players who have featured for the first team this season in their side.

Danny Stoney, most recently on as a substitute against East Stirlingshire at the weekend, was deployed in attack.

Tom Walsh, back after an ankle injury recently which kept him out for a number of weeks, also made the first XI along with full-back Ryan Sinnamon.

Leading the line for the Light Blues was Hardie, a scorer of six goals last week in a Reserve League Cup tie against Airdrie.

It was Rangers who started brightest, with Ogen getting on the end of a deep Walsh free kick but finding keeper Jordan Hart equal to it.

Moments later, a similar set piece nearly gave the Ibrox team a lead, with David Brownlie’s header cleared off the line following another left-wing delivery from Walsh.

Back came Celtic and Luke Donnelly had an attempt but fired over the crossbar from around 15 yards.

They were to go in front after quarter of an hour though when Brownlie, having gone so close at one end, conceded a clumsy penalty at the other.

He was caught out and beaten for pace by Paul McMullan yet wouldn’t let go of his shirt and tugged him down in the box after the forward had tried to stay on his feet.

It was a clear spot kick and Brownlie was hugely fortunate to only be shown a yellow card by referee Steven Brown as he had clearly denied a goalscoring opportunity.

McMullan stepped up to shoot from 12 yards and although Liam Kelly guessed the right way as he tried to save he couldn’t keep the ball out.

It took time for Rangers to muster a response but when they did it got them back on level terms.

And it was in-form Hardie who got the goal after 28 minutes, controlling well in the box then turning to lash home.

Two minutes later the game had turned on its head as Gers stormed in front through a fine individual effort from Ogen.

Hardie did enough to help the ball on to his team-mate and then he did the rest as he charged straight through the Celtic defence and slipped a cute finish past Hart.

The Light Blues were to lose Stoney to injury after just 34 minutes and that was clearly a setback.

But they kept coming forward all the same and Hardie almost made it 3-1 as he lobbed Hart only for Fiacre Kelleher to get back and clear as it seemed to be sneaking in.

After the break, Hardie then brought out a good save from the keeper after a smart drop of the shoulder made his marker dive into a block and gave him space to shoot.

And while Celtic tried to reply as best they could, they really only shot from distance and never really gave Kelly much work to do.

They were getting closer though and a period of sustained pressure ended with Kelleher heading a good chance over the bar.

That was a key turning point – as within a minute Rangers got their third goal and put daylight between them and their rivals for the first time.

Hardie did well down the left to chase down a lost cause, win possession and turn his man twice to get a cross in.

But if that was good, what Ogen produced next was sublime as his beautiful cushioned finish with his instep soared into the net to spark bedlam amongst fans behind the goal.

With half an hour still to go, there was certainly time for Celtic to come back and get into the game again.

And with 16 minutes to go, just when it seemed their heads might be dropping, they reduced the arrears with a fine curled effort from McMullan.

What had seemed like a comfortable lead just moments earlier then nearly frittered away to nothing when Aidan Nesbitt’s shot deflected off Sinnamon and left Kelly flat footed.

But the ball smacked the post – and when Nesbitt pulled the trigger again 30 seconds later he hit other one from 18 yards.

A topsy-turvy tie swung back in the other direction as Gers tried to restore their two-goal advantage.

And Hart did well to push away Ogen’s attempt after great work on the break from winger Walsh.

As the clock ticked down, that played into Rangers hands and Celtic clearly grew frustrated as time ran out.

Following more than five minutes of injury time, the Ibrox team’s success was finally confirmed as they retained the trophy they won last year.

RANGERS: Kelly, Sinnamon, Mills, Brownlie, Pascazio, Mossie (Reilly 76), Ogen, Dykes, Hardie, Stoney (Wilson 34), Walsh (Chatterton 88).

SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Wilson.

I heard a few rumours last night that there'd been trouble at the match. Reports of flares being been let off, seats ripped up and pitch invasions were confirmed in today's press.

Trouble erupts at Celtic vs Rangers Under-17 Glasgow Cup Final

article-0-198BDFDC000005DC-722_634x475.j

article-0-198BC44F000005DC-361_634x378.j

article-0-198BF7CB000005DC-161_634x486.j

article-0-198BD8C9000005DC-143_634x419.j

article-0-198C1192000005DC-460_634x421.j

article-0-198C08F7000005DC-386_634x468.j

The Scotsman reports that:

VIOLENCE erupted at last night’s Glasgow Cup final clash between the Old Firm as fans ripped up seats, set off flares and invaded the pitch.

More than 6,000 Rangers and Celtic supporters turned out for the under-17s game at Firhill Stadium.

It was the first time rival fans have met in a match situation for a year, leading to a tense atmosphere in the Partick Thistle ground. Even before the game started there were reports of violence.

Fans from both sides threw flares in their team colours, causing the referee to delay kick-off until it cleared.

A Rangers goal after 32 minutes put the Ibrox team 2-1 up and provoked more flares. A steward was seen running into the North Stand that housed Rangers fans with a fire extinguisher after a flare had gone off under a seat.

A pitch invasion by two fans delayed the final whistle. By the time the game finished – a 3-2 victory for Rangers – there was a police helicopter circling overhead. Many fans tweeted scenes of ripped-out seats.

Now now ersk, if they're good enough for the Doc, they're good enough for me.

We aren't all Green Brigade types, either. :wink:

Fair enough...I'm 'mellowing' in my old age :biggrin:

Wanders off to look up dictionary for the meaning of 'mellowing' :biggrin:

At the same time, Tommy, the Herald reports that the millions of pounds which have been allocated to anti-sectarian groups have been largely wasted ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/claims-millions-being-wasted-by-anti-bigotry-campaigners.20951629?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

"Ministers now face accusations of spending public cash on "photo opportunities and sing-alongs"

Why am I not surprised?