How will we line-up?

Elliott

Assuming that we sign Alex, and Malouda, and depending on if we start with a diamond 4-4-2 or attacking 4-3-3, can anyone guess how we might line up this season?

More often than not (barring injury) Cech is a nailed on starter in goal.

.............................CECH..........................

We will then, more than likely have a regular back 5 of;

.............................CECH..........................

PAULO..............JT.............RC..............CASHLEY

Then, well, your guess is as good as mine?.. Choosing from;

Ballack

Lampard

Mikel

Essien

Diarra

Makelele

Sidwell

Malouda

S.W.P

Robben

Joe Cole

Kalou

Sahar

Sinclair

Shevchenko

Drogba

Pizarro

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that both Sidwell, and Diarra will play limited games due to competition for places. Makelele will play less games due to his age, and that Jose will want to use Mikel as much as possible.

Ballack, Lampard, and Essien will play nearly every game in midfield, as long as they are available.

Robben, Joe Cole, Malouda, and S.W.P will be fighting for places if we play 3 up front.

More often than not, I think Robben will start if he is fit (ha!), and Joe Cole will also get the nod. Malouda will be an excellent option, and give us far more strength and power. (If Jose decides to play a flatter Midfield four, I think Malouda may feature on the left). Sweep, again, may struggle to get games.

Sinclair may indeed be loaned out again (which would probably be beneficial to everyone).

Drogba will perform like a beast, yet again. And Sahar will be lucky to get a handful of games (maybe some cup appearances?). Kalou will continue to improve from last season, but he may find himself competing with the other 'wingers' as opposed to being used as a striker, as it does'nt seem to be his natural position.

Pizarro could be the trump card.

It's a no-brainer that he will feature highly once Drogba is off on his jollies during the African Cup of Nations, but it could be interesting to see if he manages to make his mark SOONER than that. Especially if Sheva continues to blow hot and cold. (Mainly luke warm).

It will be fascinating to see how Jose intends to utilize these players, and get the best out of our team. What formation will work best?, and who will manage to hold down a place? I guess that's why Jose wanted extra fight and competition for places.

Based on the 'Death of Football' Diamond, or 'Gung Ho' 4-3-3, has anyone got any clue how we will start?

It's the "Death of Football" again this season I fear.

Your back 5 looks like Mourinho's although most of the rest of us would play Bridge I reckon.

Midfield strangulation unit of Makalele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Robben

One man team Drogba up front

Occasional cameos from Joe. Mikel to play lots too assuming he continues to learn.

Shevchenko might play if the owner demands it with Makalele out.

More of the same then which may well be good enough for our "most winningest" season assuming Cech stays fit.

Personally, Elliott, I still favour the 4-1-3-2 ?Tom P? formation -

Cech

Alves JT Riccy Cole(A)

Michel

Essien Lamps Cole(J)

Didier Tevez

I?ve not kept up with the news lately, so, if some of this is a bit out of date, please let me know.

It's the "Death of Football" again this season I fear.

Your back 5 looks like Mourinho's although most of the rest of us would play Bridge I reckon.

Midfield strangulation unit of Makalele, Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Robben

One man team Drogba up front

Occasional cameos from Joe. Mikel to play lots too assuming he continues to learn.

Shevchenko might play if the owner demands it with Makalele out.

More of the same then which may well be good enough for our "most winningest" season assuming Cech stays fit.

Maybe, Liam, but has'nt Jose already stated that it will be more of a 4-3-3 this season?

Makelele surely wont play many games?

And would Jose really play Robben as the fourth member of the diamond?... I'm not convinced.

Personally, Elliott, I still favour the 4-1-3-2 ?Tom P? formation -

Cech

Alves JT Riccy Cole(A)

Michel

Essien Lamps Cole(J)

Didier Tevez

I?ve not kept up with the news lately, so, if some of this is a bit out of date, please let me know.

Alves AND Tevez!

Dorset, we're not made of money! icon_wink.gif

Maybe, Liam, but has'nt Jose already stated that it will be more of a 4-3-3 this season?

Yes but I didn't believe him. icon_wink.gif

Makelele surely wont play many games?

I still think we'll see a fair bit of him in the big games, but I agree with you and expect to see a lot of Mikel as well. I think it'll be Sidwell making the tea this season with Joe laying out the biscuits.

And would Jose really play Robben as the fourth member of the diamond?... I'm not convinced.

I just expect to see him run around a lot scaring the sh*te out of defenders. I wouldn't know where he might fit into any formation but he is the only "Joker in the Pack" that Mourinho seems to tolerate.

I just expect to see him run around a lot scaring the sh*te out of defenders. I wouldn't know where he might fit into any formation but he is the only "Joker in the Pack" that Mourinho seems to tolerate.

That's very true.

We are probably going to play with at least two kinds of formations. Not that different from each other but enough to make things happen when needed.

other is probably jose's beloved diamond:

.....................cech.......................

paolo/glen...riccy...jt...a.cole/bridge

...................essien.......................

....ballack......................lampard...

........j.cole...................................

..........sheva..........drogba............

....................cech........................

...................essien.......................

...ballack.......................lampard...

j.cole....................robben/malouda

...............sheva/drogba.................

The key in changing between these two formations is Lamps/Ballack. They are intelligent enough to either feed the wings or play 1-2 with J.Cole or whoever plays as shadowstriker/tip of the diamond.

The thing is who are we going to sell? We have a huge squad on our hands if Alex and Malouda are coming...

Again I must state that Drogba has said AGAIN that he hates 4-3-3, so if we play it more he will be off. And no Jose has not said he will play more 4-3-3 or 4D2 or anything else. He just said we need more strength...god knows what that means.

Therefore next seasons diamond.

Cech

*someone* 156.gif , JT, Robbie C, Bridger,

Maka/Mikel

Essien, Lamps/Malouda

Ballack/Cole

Sheva, Drog

It seems we will be more able to rotate this season, which is a good thing. Our guys were clearly shattered at the end of last season.

Again I must state that Drogba has said AGAIN that he hates 4-3-3, so if we play it more he will be off. And no Jose has not said he will play more 4-3-3 or 4D2 or anything else.

1, doesn't matter what dd likes or doesn't like, we have to play in the way that is most effective for the majority of our players, whatever that is.

2, I'm sure jose has said our preferred system will be 433. whether you want to believe that (personally I don't), is another matter.

I agree with G4. What does it matter if DD is complaining about the formation? Do you think that JM makes his gameplans with Didi? Football is a teamgame.

I have said it already ten times, but I will say it again. Last season we were without J.Cole and Robben almost the whole season. It is hard to play through wings without decent wingers. Plus JM needed to find a place for Ballack and Sheva. I think those are the biggest reasons why JM changed it to diamond.

But you never know what is going on in JM's head...We could be playing the diamond whole season, but why are we piling our money for a pure winger and stick with Robben? Robben can play many positions but left flank is his home, so to say..

We just have to wait and see...

I agree with G4. What does it matter if DD is complaining about the formation? Do you think that JM makes his gameplans with Didi? Football is a teamgame.

I have said it already ten times, but I will say it again. Last season we were without J.Cole and Robben almost the whole season. It is hard to play through wings without decent wingers. Plus JM needed to find a place for Ballack and Sheva. I think those are the biggest reasons why JM changed it to diamond.

But you never know what is going on in JM's head...We could be playing the diamond whole season, but why are we piling our money for a pure winger and stick with Robben? Robben can play many positions but left flank is his home, so to say..

We just have to wait and see...

According to the book "Made in Portugal" I think it was called, Jose used both the diamond and 4-3-3 in Portugal. The diamond mostly in Europe. I expect the same here now that he has made the team used to both systems.

We are probably going to play with at least two kinds of formations. Not that different from each other but enough to make things happen when needed.

other is probably jose's beloved diamond:

.....................cech.......................

...................essien/Maka.......................

....ballack/Mikel......................lampard...

.....................j.cole..............................

..........sheva..........drogba............

....................cech........................

...................essien/Maka.......................

...ballack/Mikel.......................lampard...

j.cole....................robben/malouda

...............sheva/drogba.................

The key in changing between these two formations is Lamps/Ballack. They are intelligent enough to either feed the wings or play 1-2 with J.Cole or whoever plays as shadowstriker/tip of the diamond.

The thing is who are we going to sell? We have a huge squad on our hands if Alex and Malouda are coming...

Those formations are spot on IMO. You did forget Maka and Mikel though.

pretty much I agree with Evissy too.

..............................cech

paulo/johno..... terry.......... carvs......... Cole/bridge

..............................maka/essien/mikel

.......ballack................................Lamps/Malouda

........................Cole/ballack/Mikel

................Sheva/Pizzaro

.........................................Drogs

Guest Brian M

I'm expecting something like this in the Charity Shield...

........................................Cech

NEW GUY! (or Diara)....Cav........Terry.................. Bridge

.......................................Maka

..........Essien....................Lamps...........................Mik

...................J Cole

.......................................Drogs

Not our most attacking formation by a long chalk, but I think JM will plan to ease into the more attacking style of play, and - like his first season with us - will be happy to grind out a few 1 v 0 wins just to get the confidence up and to make sure the solidity and 'shape' is right at the back.

...........................................CECH.................................

PAULO.........................JT....................RC........................BR

IDGE

LAMPARD....BALLACK....MAKALELE.....ESSIEN.....MIKEL......SIDWELL

Aaaargh - what a headf**k. I mean I don't know. How are you supposed to make this puzzle work with 6 central midfield players. Do we have to stick to 11 players? You know I've tried my best but I haven't even got any wingers or strikers on the pitch. It will take a genius to make this squad work and keep everyone happy. Wait a minute, lucky we've got the Special One in charge. Also were not really short of cover I guess, apart from right back apparently. f**k it, lets buy another right back ....

............................Cech

Diarra........Carvalho.....Terry........Bridge

Robben........Essien.......Mikel........Malouda

............Shevchenko.......Drogba

OR

.........................Cudicini

Ferreira.....Haim...........Alex(?).....A.Cole

SWP........Lampard......Makelele.....J.Cole

...............Pizarro.........Kalou

317.gif

This article on the official site, seems to indicate, as Jose already has, that we will play more 4-3-3 this season.

[web]http://www.chelseafc.com/page/NewsHomePage/0,,10268~1071287,00.html[/web]

(Second paragraph from the bottom).

Expect Malouda, Robben, Joe Cole, and Sweep alternating around Drog's as the main striker.

Didier may not enjoy it, but it looks likely to happen. 317.gif

............................Cech

Diarra........Carvalho.....Terry........Bridge

Robben........Essien.......Mikel........Malouda

............Shevchenko.......Drogba

OR

.........................Cudicini

Ferreira.....Haim...........Alex(?).....A.Cole

SWP........Lampard......Makelele.....J.Cole

...............Pizarro.........Kalou

317.gif

Lampard and J.Cole in the 2nd line-up? Foreshame icon_razz.gif