Chelsea vs Blackburn Game Build Up

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I know it seems a little early to be posting this but there is good reason.

We have struck a deal whereby we run a link to sign up for Setanta for six days

prior to a Chelsea game televised by Setanta and in return they deposit a small

sum of cash into the forum bank account.

It is very much a game by game agreement so it may be long term or it may

last for all of one game!

Basically the money received will go towards the running costs of the site and

thus mean less times I appear at your front doors with a flat cap and a begging

bowl!

So Blackburn it is!! Sparky's blue and white army (not to mention 2k's team).

Commonly thought to be a team of limited ability but above average ferocity -

probably a fair comment in some prior years however maybe no longer valid

although they do still have Robbie Savage!

Blackburn's start to the season has been pretty impressive. At home they

have beaten Man City and drawn with Arsenal and away from Ewood Park

they have drawn with Everton and beat Middlesbrough. So currently unbeaten

(which is more than we can claim) and only sitting two points behind us with a

game in hand.

Make no mistake this is going to be a tough game!

History

......................... Chelsea wins......Draws.......Blackburn Wins

League..........................35.................25........................32

FA Cup...........................2...................0..........................2

League Cup....................1...................1..........................0

Other..............................2..................0.........................

Total.............................40.................26........................3

Past Five Seasons Results

2006/2007

English FA Cup...........Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Chelsea................15-04-2007

English Premier..........Chelsea 3-0 Blackburn Rovers................31-01-2007

English League C .......Blackburn Rovers 0-2 Chelsea................25-10-2006

English Premier..........Blackburn Rovers 0-2 Chelsea................27-08-2006

2005/2006

English Premier..........Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Chelsea.................02-05-2006

English Premier..........Chelsea 4-2 Blackburn Rovers.................29-10-2005

2004/2005

English Premier...........Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Chelsea................02-02-2005

English Premier...........Chelsea 4-0 Blackburn Rovers................23-10-2004

2003/2004

English Premier............Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Chelsea.................01-02-2004

English Premier............Chelsea 2-2 Blackburn Rovers.................30-08-2003

2002/2003

English Premier............Chelsea 1-2 Blackburn Rovers.................22-02-2003

English Premier.............Blackburn Rovers 2-3 Chelsea..................11-09-2002

Click here to sign up to Setanta to see Chelsea v Blackburn

?9.99 a month and no annual contract

(Note - sign up for the month of September and you can also see Rangers play Hearts on

September 15th)

logo.gif.box3Image_4.jpg.logo.gif

How long is Carvalho out? Would be great if he could be back for this one, and Lampard as well. I note that Sheva has had three groin injuries in a row, which is a bad long term sign. Terry is playing with a broken toe, which has to limit his effectiveness. Drogba has had three unspecified knee injuries in a row.

Personally I think this is more of a worry than we are letting on but nothing can be done about it now.

My team would be

Cech

Belleti -- Carvalho -- Terry -- Cole

SWP Essien -- Lampard -- JC

Drogba Kalou

I'd actually like to play Maka instead of Essien but that's never going to happen for this game. Also I would consider playing JC up front with Drogba and using Malouda on the left.

I'm probably the only one here who actually likes Robbie Savage (though not when he plays against us) and I have some respect for Blackburn. Not the best of teams but they're always hard to beat.

I expect us to play

Cech

Belletti - Alex/Ben Haim - JT - Cole

Sweepy - Mikel (Lampard isn't fit, right?) - Essien - Malouda

Drogba - Kalou

But I would like to see Joey get a chance instead of Malouda who were bad last game (who wasn't?) and I wouldn't mind letting JT rest his toe and use Alex and Ben Haim together. Would be nice to see how well they can play together. Talk about a big wall in central defence. Not the nicest defenders to run into. Alex imitation of a mad bull only lacks the ring in the nose. What a beast!

Any news on Sheva - the guy who is too injured to be in the Chelsea squad but fit enought to play for Ukraine?

Is he fit or isn't he? I wanna see him play (for Chelsea that is).

I think he suits Drogba the best.

At the moment I think Kalou is the best partner for Drogba but Pizarro is the better player. A real dilemma to be honest. Play someone who suits the other better or play one who is more of a threat?

Since we're already talking about injuries what is the status on Bridge, Ballack and the others? When can we expect them to be back?

ahhh...my big debut in the shed end forum...

i personally would like to see Joe play before malouda but alas i dont see it happening...

my lineup would look like this

paulo JT alex ashley

swp essien mikel/sidwell malouda

drogs kalou

Loz, as I read the Terms and Conditions of the Setanta package, there's no annual contract BUT you have to give a months notice to end your subscription, meaning once you sign up you're committed for at least 2 months (unless you sign up and end the subscription on the same day - probably not possible).

Anyone have any experience of this or read the T&C's differently?

with regards to Setanta tv, I have virgin cable and a couple of weeks ago they informed me that Sky sports had increased the cost and therfore Virgin had to up their prices also, by ?1.50. a month. But as a bonus and at no extra cost I would also rercieve Setanta 1 & 2, setanta golf plus Celtic & Rangers TV.

Than you Mr. Branson.

by the way, welcome erict and a decent selection to.

with regards to Setanta tv, I have virgin cable and a couple of weeks ago they informed me that Sky sports had increased the cost and therfore Virgin had to up their prices also, by ?1.50. a month. But as a bonus and at no extra cost I would also rercieve Setanta 1 & 2, setanta golf plus Celtic & Rangers TV.

Than you Mr. Branson.

by the way, welcome erict and a decent selection to.

I'm with Sky and there does seem to be a bit of a battle going on between Sky and Virgin - lets hope Sky counter the offer you got by offering us satellite customers a similar deal!

I'm quite content to search for games online - the Reading one was a bit close, as Sopcast wouldn't work (thanks for the other link, whoever that was) but I've watched a couple of other games that Setanta were showing, so I'll wait and see how it all pans out. The missus is quite happy with the arrangement - she gets the TV while I watch games online!

As for the game itself, this one worries me a lot. We've had close things against Brum and Pompey, all of our players are away (bar Sidwell, Alex and the walking wounded!) so I'm prepared for a tough game. I'm all for the Joe Cole for Malouda swap, but 3 games in 7 days may take it out of our Joey seeing as he's hardly played 90 mins for a long time now. Lets see what develops on Wednesday - could be that the team essentially picks itself.

Loz, as I read the Terms and Conditions of the Setanta package, there's no annual contract BUT you have to give a months notice to end your subscription, meaning once you sign up you're committed for at least 2 months (unless you sign up and end the subscription on the same day - probably not possible).

Anyone have any experience of this or read the T&C's differently?

jack

I will look into this and get back to you

My team for the game:

Belletti - Terry - Carvalho - A. Cole

Wright-Phillips - Essien - Lampard - J. Cole

Drogba - Shevchenko

Sub: Cudicini, Mikel, Kalou, Malouda and Pizarro

Shevchenko has played a few games for Ukraine, s? he should be fit to start. If not, then Pizarro takes his place, and Sheva will be on the bench. Hopefully Lampard is fit and ready for this match, but if not, I think Sidwell would be a better option than Mikel or Essien as the attacking midfielder.

Im assuming lampard and Carvalho isnt gonna be fit so my team would be.

Cech

Beletti Alex JT Cole

SWP Essien Sidwell Cole

Kalou Drogba

If sidwell is going to have any impact he needs chances and an Essien Mikel partnership is a bit to defensive IMO.

Since hes played two full games for Ukraine Sheva must be fit so if he doesnt start he should get on the bench

I'm going with:

Cech

Belletti-Ben Ha?m-JT-A Cole

SWP-Mikel-Essien-J Cole

Drogba-Pizarro

Bench:

Cudicini, Alex, Malouda, Sheva, Sidwell

(If Lampard is fit he starts for Mikel, who's on the bench instead of Sidwell. Still no Sheva?, then Kalou)

Altho I hope that Sheva will finally be in the lineup and get some playing time. A good season from him is imperative to the club's success. Especially with the African Cup coming.

I would like to see:

Cech

Belletti Tal JT Cole

SWP Mikel Essien Malouda

Joe Cole

Drogba

I feel that with Lamps out it will be a great opportunity for Joe Cole to shine in a role he may be more accustomed to playing. He and Malouda both like to start on the left and drift inside, so in this case, Joey could start behing Drogs and Malouda on the left, then that swopping places. If the game proceeds well and we are in front, SWP could also be included so that we have 3 players constantly swopping sides, making it very hard to defend against.

However, I get the impression that it will be Kalou who will get the start on Sunday and play in the same role I hoped Joey would play in.

Actually I can't remember the last time I honestly thought we would lose a game, probably at the start of CR's management and I don't like to say it now, but I think we will lose our record on Saturday. Poor form, unsettled side, return from internationals, and for once a JM that doesn't know his best formation, it smells of a 2-1 defeat.

I doubt very much that Lampard will be risked for this game, and as far as is known Drogba is injured. With Pizarro playing for Peru in the early hours of Thursday (UK time) we are starting to look thin on the ground again in terms of strikers/goalscorers. A lot does depend on how we come through the next couple of days but what is a fact is that Blackburns players will have a distinct advantage - people like Savage, Dunn, Samba and one or two others have been able to put their feet up (metaphorically speaking) and concentrate on the game Saturday. They aren't players I fear necessarily but any team with four of five rested, focused players will be a handful for anybody.

I expect us to start with:

.................................Cech...............................

Beletti............Alex.................JT..................Arsley

..................................Mikel.................................

..............Essien..........................Sidwell...............

SWP..........................Kalou......................Malouda

Reasons being that the Brazillian lads haven't been away, neither has Sidwell. Personally I'd have Joey Cole in the side but I feel Mourinho likes Malouda, probably more for his adaptability, dropping into midfield, than anything else. Sidwell must play if Lamps isn't fit otherwise he really is a waste of space. These are the times when he's needed, when his fresh legs should be utilised. Normally I'd play Maka but he'll be coming off the back of two tough games for France and knowing Jose he'll probably feel another game in quick succession would be too much for him. Alex plays for the reason above and for the fact that Blackburn will probably have McCarthy and Santa Claus playing for them - add to that the 6' 7" Samba and Alex is a must.

I hope and pray Lamps and Drogba are fit because without their goals and height we might well struggle. We can't afford to drop any more points, especially with Manyoo away coming up next.

Actually I can't remember the last time I honestly thought we would lose a game, probably at the start of CR's management and I don't like to say it now, but I think we will lose our record on Saturday. Poor form, unsettled side, return from internationals, and for once a JM that doesn't know his best formation, it smells of a 2-1 defeat.

Whilst it would be nice (for me) if that were to happen I can't see it happening. What I would say is that I personally don't think there will be a repeat of the 4-0 thrashing you gave us 3 seasons ago although that is contrary to what is being said on the rovers forums (more on this later).

In central defence Nelsen and Samba seem to be forming a good partnership and Warnock is looking good on the left linking well with Pedersen. I'm still unconvinced about Emerton at right back. We will probably have Ooijer and Khizanishvili on the bench.

Our biggest problem is midfield, If we are going out to win the game I would think that we'll start with Pedersen left and Bentley right. However centre midfield is where the problem lies, i would imagine that we'll start with fatboy Dunn and Savage but due to injuries they really haven't played together that often and with Tugay out due to a suspension it leaves us with few options. The option that I'm praying he doesn't go with is to drop fatboy Dunn in favour of Mokoena (the axe) which will result in the most boring game of football anyone will ever witness with the likely outcome being 0-0 And us not being picked for a TV match again for about 2 years!

Up front we have no such problems with McCarthy and Santa Cruz being the ones most likely to start with Derbyshire and Roberts on the bench.

This season the press seem to keep talking as though we're going to finish in the top 6 however (which in itself is unusual as we barely get noticed and if we do it's never praise) I feel that this is probably overly optimistic as our central midfield just isn't good enough Tugay is too old, Reid seems permanently injured leaving just Dunn, Savage and Mokoena, hardly top 6 material really?

Saying all this we have had a good start to the season, and we should really be looking for a top half finish. Though I'm still going to predict 2 - 1 to you.

this is a quote from a rovers forum which shows the general feeling in our camp...

Looking at it like this....

1...Rovers are unbeaten

2...there`s 'tension' in the Chelsea camp (Jose & Don Abramovich)

3...Chelsea just been beaten

4...We showed we are no push-overs in the semi-final

....i can only envisage one thing. We are in for a hammering!

I doubt very much that Lampard will be risked for this game, and as far as is known Drogba is injured. With Pizarro playing for Peru in the early hours of Thursday (UK time) we are starting to look thin on the ground again in terms of strikers/goalscorers.

I believe you are right. And as someone suggested in this thread, the idea of playing with only one striker is a strong possibility. Even tho I posted a 4-2-2 team earlier in the thread, I had before strongly considered a 4-2-3-1 formation. And I must say I would have done it, having known that Pizarro would also play an international game.

So I'm changing my mind for something like:

Cech

Belleti-(Ben Ha?m/Alex)-JT-A Cole

Mikel-Essien

SWP-J Cole-Malouda

Drogba

Bench: Cudicini, (Ben Ha?m/Alex), Kalou, Sidwell, Sheva

I'd give the start to Kalou if Drogba is indeed injured.

Hate to say it but im inclined to agree. Were struggling in the opposition half , conceding goals , low on confidence and missing Riccky , Lamps , Sheva and Ashley hardly inspires me with confidence .