First Team Squad - Staying/Going/Disaster/Live With It

loz

This thread is sparked from the 'Drogba in/Anelka Out ' thread and the general feeling that Grant's appointment is going to spark a mass exodus of players in either January or, more likely the Summer.

It made me wonder how worried should we really be. Which are the first team players who it would be a disaster to lose and how likely is it that they will leave, which are the ones which it would be good if they stayed but manageable if they left and which are the ones that, to be quite honest, in the long run we may do well to get rid of anyway.

I have excluded the youngsters like SInclair and Sahar as I don't think they really come into the equation.

For me the ones I would be gutted to lose (thus disaster) are:

Cech, JT, Carvalho, Essien, Lampard, Mikel and Drogba (Mikel I put in here because of potential)

The group which I would rather keep but their loss would be manageable (please note that I don't mean I don't rate them highly, just that they are replaceable. I also don't mean that we can let all them leave at once and replace them as that would be insane - to emphaise notice that I put Paulo and Bridge in here and everyone should know how highly I rate them)

Bridge, Ashley Cole, Alex, Paulo, Maka, Joe Cole, Malouda, Carlo, Ballack, Sheva, Kalou

and players we could probaby do with shipping out at some point in the near future

Hilario, Ben Haim, Belletti, SWP, Pizarro, Sidwell

(probably missed someone obvious)

So of the list of disasters I would say that Drogba is the obvious definite (or almost definite) and Lamps the other possibilty. I don't see the rest going anywhere. As for the second list - if 5 or 6 all left at once then we would have an issue however is that really likely, I don't think so. If 2 or 3 left then it would just freshen up the squad. And as for the final list well I must admit I wouldn't lose any sleep - in the case of SWP he would need to be replaced and we would need a new 3rd choice keeper to replace Hilario.

So in conclusion it is much ado about nothing!!

I just posted something very similar in the other thread. A big fuss over something that was already likely to happen with/without Mourinho. I will be sad to lose these 2 players, IF they go, but either way star players move on sooner or later, its what makes players like Terry all the more valuable and appreciated. Bring in Anelka for the short term in January and see what he can do, if he dosen't prove himself (I believe he would) then make a move for a quality striker as a replacement for Drogba (Villa, Huntelaar, so on)

Ps. If Drogba goes to Milan, it better be for at least 30M or Kenyon is a complete mug.

I doubt there will be any mass exodus,

Loz's list of players who would be most/least important was pretty realistic and I would agree with it apart from a couple of points,

Drogba has been great and I have seen no lack of commitment from him despite his regular (under Jose and Grant) outbursts,

I would say if the player doesn't want to play for Chelsea then he is not on the most important to keep list for me,

not taking anything away from him in a footballing sense but the team is looking to the future and we need to keep players that want to be part of that, if Drogs doesn't then he should be sold and for good money as (Kev has said)

Anelka would be a good replacement (imo) and I would advocate letting Pizarro go as well so that Grant could bring in another striker that he feels will fit with his system without having too many options, i.e Anelka, Huntalaar, Sheva, Kalou if he percieves Kalou as a striker.

Lampard I am gutted about as he does more for the team than people give him credit for but he wouldn't sign under Jose and who knows what he is thinking? we would need a good player to replace him but I am confident we could do it.

I like Sidwell, his attitude and his tenacity but dont really think he is ever going to be a fist choice and I think next summer he could be on his way, hope he does well when the ACN is on and does his reputation no harm.

Ben Haim has looked below our standard but how many really good CBs are going to want to be sitting on the Bench if we keep Carv,Alex and Jt?

Malouda I thought would do better than he has and I still hope he improves as Sweepy although he has had a lot of game time,

I am not too woried about the players that want out, more worried that they might want out but stay for the money.

Hopefully over the next few months they will work out if they want to stay here and be part of the future or go somewhere else and possibly regret it.

I have always thought Frank has fancied Barca but always had a sneaky suspicion it might be a bad move for him, I dont know where else he would favour over us, maybe Real? still not sure he will be happier there apart from maybe the weather icon_lol.gif

A.Cole, Ballack, Sheva add perhaps Anelka and Ronaldinho and we have half a team of mercenaries. When the going get's tough there'll be alot of people looking around at each other shrugging!

I don't want our transfers to resemble a revolving door and only want people who want to play for the club or manager, seeing as most players won't regard Avram as someone they always wanted to play for I'd say they'll be here for Romans money more than anything else, although I truely hope not.

Bluenut

Do you honestly believe that the majority of players want to play for the manaer first and foremost rather than for the salary on offer. We could have brought in one of a stack of managers without any one of them being a manager that most players would regard as someone they always wanted to play for. I'm sure there are a few players out there who have managers in mind that they would love to work with at some stage in their career but I wouldn't consider it the norm.

A.Cole, Ballack, Sheva add perhaps Anelka and Ronaldinho and we have half a team of mercenaries. When the going get's tough there'll be alot of people looking around at each other shrugging!

I don't want our transfers to resemble a revolving door and only want people who want to play for the club or manager, seeing as most players won't regard Avram as someone they always wanted to play for I'd say they'll be here for Romans money more than anything else, although I truely hope not.

The thing is Bluenut a supporter of another club could just as easily class Drogba, Joe Cole, Carvalho, Essien as mercenaries. But they still give 100% when they play, GREAT players don't get to where they are by having that attitude. (looking at eachother shrugging)

Another angle on Drogba is the age one. When we bought Shevchenko it wasn't long before people were saying that Milan must bhe pissing themselves because they had got the best years the player had, raked in £30m and handed over a player the wrong side of 30 and on the slide.

Well guess what, at the end of this season Drogba will be the wrong side of 30, we (if we sell) would rake in a small fortune and it could well be that we would have seen the best of him.

I just cant agree with that mate,

Its a bit of a generalisation dont you think? Mourinho wanted Cole here and Cole was unhappy where he was, I dont like him much but he hasn't stood shrugging much so far,

Ballack, My jury is still out but in his defense, although he has not looked that interested on occasions,he never looked much different at Bayern but somehow looked a great player,

Sheva has been out of form and tried his nuts off when he's had a chance, it's not been going for him and yes he's on ridiculas wages for what he has contributed, but I dont think its through want of trying,

Anelka has been playing well for Bolton and deserves another chance in a big team, Mercenary maybe but maybe he could have something to prove.

Ronnie, Hes been loyal to Barca and a great player to watch, must have earned them fortunes in Gate revenue alone, if he came here for a new challenge and gave us all a glimpse of some magic it could be a good thing,

I think you are not giving these players enough credit, they are top sportsman and their pride should be enough to make them not want to stand around shrugging their shoulders,

some of them might even want to play at Chelsea, some may even rate Grant Cate or Clarke, we all only guess most of the time but surely guessing on the upside once in a while wont hurt will it? icon_lol.gif

Another angle on Drogba is the age one. When we bought Shevchenko it wasn't long before people were saying that Milan must bhe pissing themselves because they had got the best years the player had, raked in £30m and handed over a player the wrong side of 30 and on the slide.

Well guess what, at the end of this season Drogba will be the wrong side of 30, we (if we sell) would rake in a small fortune and it could well be that we would have seen the best of him.

Unfortunately in that case this would apply to Anelka as well. Let's just keep this quiet shall we icon_wink.gif

I never understand the Ronnie is a mercenary line - in his whole career he has played for 3 clubs and one of them was Gremio in Brazil which it was inevitable he was going to leave.

So he has only really made one big transfer and that was from PSG to Barca - if he hadn't made that move he would have been idiot! Is Lampard a mercenary for leaving West ham for us? Or Cech from Rennes?

If Wenger came in for you as a player and you could join either Arsenal or Chelsea (same money) would you play for Wenger or Grant? I suspect alot of top professionals would like to work with Wenger considering the respect he has throughout the game.

Money is an obvious factor, Lucas Neil didn't snub Liverpool because he always wanted to work with Curbishly, granted.

I was thinking more of players toward the later days of their career ala Anelka and Ronaldinho are only out for 1 last payday, nothing more. (Sheva n Ballack)

If Wenger came in for you as a player and you could join either Arsenal or Chelsea (same money) would you play for Wenger or Grant? I suspect alot of top professionals would like to work with Wenger considering the respect he has throughout the game.

Money is an obvious factor, Lucas Neil didn't snub Liverpool because he always wanted to work with Curbishly, granted.

I was thinking more of players toward the later days of their career ala Anelka and Ronaldinho are only out for 1 last payday, nothing more. (Sheva n Ballack)

Desailly, Zola, Gullit, Vialli, Mark Hughes, Makelele, Roberto Di Matteo, some of our greatest names in recent years, and all players that would walk even into our current squad if younger, came at the "end" of their careers.

Desailly, Zola, Gullit, Vialli, Mark Hughes, Makelele, Roberto Di Matteo, some of our greatest names in recent years, and all players that would walk even into our current squad if younger, came at the "end" of their careers.

Dechamps, Le Saux, Micky Thomas, Joey Jones, Graham Roberts.

Dechamps, Le Saux, Micky Thomas, Joey Jones, Graham Roberts.

Deschamps is pushing it a little bit to be in that honourable list dont you think? And Le Saux was (19?) I think when he joined us, so he has to be out. I was sticking with players who were crowd favourites and TOP players for Chelsea, but joined at past 30.

I was a fan of Dechamps, thought he did the job we bought him to do.

But that's football, all about opinions. icon_wink.gif

I do agree he did his job reasonably well, but I think the others went beyond just that, and are part of the reason we were in the position to interest Roman (Champs League place), which got us to where we are now. Thats more what I meant.

Some good players listed, we could go on all day, and I could add a few but we were not one of the richest clubs in the world when we signed Joey Jones were we? We got what we could afford! And Di Matteo wasn't at the end of his career when we signed him.

More recently - Bogarde £40k per week !!! Remember him. (another player the manager didn't ask for)

I don't think we should be in for stop-gap signings or players at the end of their career hanging out for 1 last pay day, given our current financial status, unless we never learnt anything from the Ballack and Sheva transfers.

Still no-one know who's doing the signing's so it's all a bit irrelevent anyway, Grant will work have to work with what he's given

I haven't read all of the posts in between but would like to respond to the intial post.

For me the only players that it would be a disaster to loose are JT and Cech, I think a lot of the others would cause massive upset and rebuilding but these two are the only two that I think it would be really difficult to replace.

If more than 2 or 3 first teamers leave in one hit we are in for a period of rebuilding and that's not going to be easy but we have at least one year of transition ahead of us regardless.

The only players that i think we cant afford to lose are Cech, JT and lampard. Drogba IMO can be replaced, it might take a whil to find someone good enough but their are a few good, young strikers around IMO.

as for the mercenaries comments, all i'll say is i cant believe anyone in our current team is being comared to Bogarde.

I moved on from mercinaries years ago, all professionals either in the football world or any other want to get the best out of their careers, that means winning honours and making money. The have ajob the same as you and I, and like us they have no ties to their employees (well very rarely anyway). A player will only not play if things get bad enough for them to give up!

all i'll say is i cant believe anyone in our current team is being comared to Bogarde
#

No-one was - read it again:

''I don't think we should be in for stop-gap signings or players at the end of their career hanging out for 1 last pay day, given our current financial status''

all i'll say is i cant believe anyone in our current team is being comared to Bogarde
#

No-one was - read it again:

''I don't think we should be in for stop-gap signings or players at the end of their career hanging out for 1 last pay day, given our current financial status''

Bluenut i probebly got the wrong impression from your post but i dont believe either Sheva or Ballack are here for one last pay day, i think both came for new challenges and like anyone took the biggest paycheck possible when they came and IMO its Kenyon's job to keep that as low as possible. sorry if i misunderstood but thats the way i read it icon_confused.gif

At the moment, we are blessed with 5 players who are the absolute best in the world in their respective positions, and thus, if they were to leave, could not be replaced.

They are: Cech, JT, Essien, Lamps and Drogba

Obviously, we could splash come cash and sign other very good players, but at the moment, I can't see us signing a striker as good as Drogba, or a goalkeeper as good as Cech. There just isn't anyone else as good around to sign.

Then there are the youngsters - Kalou, Mikel and Sinclair who aren't best in the world, but have the potential to be there. I would hate to see any of them fulfull that potential at another club (and why I am still gutted we gave away Diarra to the Arse). I would include Joe Cole in this group, even though he is quite a bit older, as he is still developing and still has the potential to improve further.

The next group of players are top quaility and deserve their place in the squad, but ulimately, are replaceable. If they left, and were replaced like for like, we would cope without too much trouble.

They are: Carlo, Bridge, Ferreira, Alex, A Cole, Belletti, Carvalho, Ballack, Maka, SWP, Malouda, Shevchenko.

The last group of players, I would not lose any sleep over their leaving, as I don't think they are really Chelsea quality.

They are: Hilario, Ben Haim, Sidwell, Pizzaro.

That's how I see it.

Archived