Oh Dani boy, the pipes are calling?

Elliott
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

wouldnt be surprised to see a swap deal with paulo. if thats the case, i think ivanovic will be the other right back, a more defensive one.bellettis is a very attack minded wing back, and in some games we need a right back to defend. not sure how good alves`s defence is.

It look's like the move could be back on?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...C-mostviewedbox

Possible move away for Paulo if we want this guy?

Signing him would certainly embody the new attacking philosophy that we have failed to see so far...

We've missed the chance, he'll be off to Madrid of Barca now I reckon.

Paulo is out of contract in the summer so I assume our right backs will be Belletti and Ivanovic.

If that's the case re Paulo's contract, then that's another great bit of business by Chels.

Keep a player who doesn't play as he's clearly not part of the mangers plans (either of them!) until he can leave without any transfer fee being paid. Brilliant. icon_rolleyes.gif

We should be getting decent money for a player like Paulo, which would go someway to covering the no-doubt more expensive replacement we get in. I know we have shed loads of Roman's money etc, but Jesus we are crap at the business side of things sometimes.

If that's the case re Paulo's contract, then that's another great bit of business by Chels.

Keep a player who doesn't play as he's clearly not part of the mangers plans (either of them!) until he can leave without any transfer fee being paid. Brilliant. icon_rolleyes.gif

We should be getting decent money for a player like Paulo, which would go someway to covering the no-doubt more expensive replacement we get in. I know we have shed loads of Roman's money etc, but Jesus we are crap at the business side of things sometimes.

Things like this piss me off no-end!!! Will probably be a rise in ticket prices aswell over the summer icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't be so ungrateful Bluenut, how do you expect us to cover the 40 odd million we'll probably pay for Alves otherwise? icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It's prpobably true though. icon_rolleyes.gif

I didn't think we were going to be put over a barrell for this fella, or that was the stance at the start of the season anyway.......Oh I remember... Jose was manager then and wasn't allowed

If we do sign Alves in the summer, where does that really leave Ivanovic? Are we really paying close to £10M for utility players to fill in here and there when needed? Did we pay that much to have him start 10 matches at RB when we will surely pay £20M+ for Alves. Not to mention, as others already have, the £13M we will not recoup from Paulo(granted he gave us some very good - average years). We have also spent £3M on Belletti, £6M on Boularhouz who was supposed to be able to play there, and brought in Ben-Haim on what has to be good wages, who was also supposed to be able to play RB if need be.

Really is a shocking state of affairs. At least we, presumably, got something back for Johnson...who looks like he may be the best of the bunch, or close to it at this moment.

If we do sign Alves in the summer, where does that really leave Ivanovic? Are we really paying close to £10M for utility players to fill in here and there when needed? Did we pay that much to have him start 10 matches at RB when we will surely pay £20M+ for Alves. Not to mention, as others already have, the £13M we will not recoup from Paulo(granted he gave us some very good - average years). We have also spent £3M on Belletti, £6M on Boularhouz who was supposed to be able to play there, and brought in Ben-Haim on what has to be good wages, who was also supposed to be able to play RB if need be.

Really is a shocking state of affairs. At least we, presumably, got something back for Johnson...who looks like he may be the best of the bunch, or close to it at this moment.

Bodzilla, I don't thinks are quite as shambolic as you. If it's true that Ivanovic can truly play all 4 back positions, then he is quite valuable and my guess is you will see quite a lot of him in the future. here's why:

RB - assume we purchase Alves and let Paulo go. Alves would be our #1, and Belletti #2. Belletti is going to be 32 next season, and my guess is he is not in our long term plans. which would line up Ivanovic to be our back up RB by 2009.

Center - Obviously Terry and Carvalho are installed as our top 2, and Alex has certainly proven worthy as our main back up (dare I say you could see him enter a regular starting spot without losing much quality?). and certainly TBH is not Chelsea quality. which means that Ivanovic slides into his spot right away next season. and my gut tells me that if TBH had not been such an utter disappointment this year, you would have seen more of him over the last few months, spelling Alex.

LB - I don't necessarily want to buy in to all the rubbish in the rumor sections of the newspapers, but i can't imagine Wayne Bridge is really happy being our #2. the lad aspires to be an international for England, yet the only way he can displace Ashley Cole for his country is to prove it on the field for his club -- yet Cole sits before him there, too! quite maddening. as much as i hate to see it, because i rate Bridge ahead of Cole, i can't imagine him hanging around for much longer. meaning Ivanovic would slide in as #2 at LB.

i don't think Ivanovic would have been worth our purchase for any one of these spots individually (except maybe at center back), but the fact that the guy might be suited to play in a reserve role for all positions makes him fantastically valuable. if he turns out to be quality, my guess is we will be very glad that he picked up him because of that versatility.

How long will he be happy being #3 at RB, #4 at CB, and #2-3 at LB? He cost us a lot of money, surely he can't strictly be a utility player? How is he going to get a rythem playing everywhere, once every few weeks?

If we do not sign Alves, I see all the sense in the world in signing Ivanovic. As you say, Belletti is getting up there, but Alves is 25 and will be playing wek in, week out if signed.

I just cannot, in my own mind, justify spending that much money on a player that will be cover for positions that in most cases already have adequate cover. I guess we will see how it all plays out.

The thing is with Alves, is that however 'hard ball' we think we can be about the fee, which is laughable in itself, he has a contract till 2012, so I just don't see how he will ever come cheap.

More to the point, WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER SODDING RIGHT BACK. Paulo plus Beletti, plus Ivanovic is more than good enough. For 10 million, the latter should be a quality player, competing for the starting spot, not a 'solid' backup.

I would actually be interested/depressed to see the total amount of money we have wasted in the transfer market since Roman arrived. I have a feeling it would be quite staggering.

Right-back?

Ferreira clearly isn't up to it, he makes far too many mistakes - I seriously don't understand the blind loyalty shown to him by certain posters, they're obviously remembering the days when he was a good player.

I like Belletti, but he's knocking on a bit, as has already been mentioned in this thread. Hopefully we'll get at least another couple of years out of him.

As a replacement for Ferreira, rather than Alves, I'd go for Philip Lahm - he's still only about 25, and can play on either the left or right. Possibly a better defensive player than Alves?

Ivanovic might prove to be a great right-back or centre-back - on the other hand he might turn out to be another Graham Wilkins or Micky Nutton - only time will tell. And why the f*ck hasn't he been given a game yet? The excuse has been that he's not match fit - well nor were JT or Lampard, yet they played yesterday - what goes on? I wanna know!!!! Now!!!! icon_lol.gif

Right-back?

Ferreira clearly isn't up to it, he makes far too many mistakes - I seriously don't understand the blind loyalty shown to him by certain posters, they're obviously remembering the days when he was a good player.

I like Belletti, but he's knocking on a bit, as has already been mentioned in this thread. Hopefully we'll get at least another couple of years out of him.

As a replacement for Ferreira, rather than Alves, I'd go for Philip Lahm - he's still only about 25, and can play on either the left or right. Possibly a better defensive player than Alves?

Ivanovic might prove to be a great right-back or centre-back - on the other hand he might turn out to be another Graham Wilkins or Micky Nutton - only time will tell. And why the f*ck hasn't he been given a game yet? The excuse has been that he's not match fit - well nor were JT or Lampard, yet they played yesterday - what goes on? I wanna know!!!! Now!!!! icon_lol.gif

From what ive seen Lahm is very good defensivly, i remember his time in WC Germany he was way upfield attacking and when they lost the ball he was often the first man back to defend.

Hes got a lot of heart.

One thing im not sure about is if he can play right back, as far as i know he has always played left back.

Guest Brian M

Very few players divide opinion like Paulo! Maybe Jimmy. But at least he had his goal scoring record to fall back on for us.

Personally I don't think Paulo is as bad as lots of us think. But I also don't think he's anywhere good enough to be our number one. And probably not good enough to be our back-up either. For me I think the time has come to sell him and get Alves. Because if Bel is the poor-man's choice for Alves...how good will Alves be for us!?!

I'm 50-50 on Paulo. I like his attitude and he's been top draw in his first season with the club. However he offers very little going forward, lacks speed and is seemingly unable to recover his best form for some time now.

I do feel that the writing's on the wall for PF, but if we do sell him and bring in Alves(who i personally like a lot), we'll end up with Alves/Beletti as our RB pairing and let me tell you, while they are both quality going forward, the defending part of the equation will suffer.

I'd bring Alves anyway, but would play him as a winger/fullback depending on the opposition.

However if Paulo leaves, we'd still have to find a decent defender to replace him, unless that's what Ivanovic was brought in for.