Youth Cup Final

really looking forward to this. especially after last night. gonna be difficult though. city have an excellent youth set up. but so do we now. good luck boys. keep the blue flag flying for us.

i presume it`ll be the same as the semi. unless theirs any injuries. so taylor in goal. nana, bruma, van aarnholt and gordon defence. mid of woods and probably taiwo as sawyers suspended. attack will be stoch, kakuta, tejera playing behind nielsen.

was a fantastic game. open attacking football from the first whistle. crowd of nearly 12,000 were well entertained. finished 1-1 but overall i thought we deserved to win it. city started the better, but we dominated the last 25/30 minutes of the 1st half. kakuta and stoch were causing loads of problems, with nielsen giving their centre halfs loads of trouble. we created at least 7 or 8 good chances in the 1st half with the city keeper making some excellent saves and our final ball or shot not quite being what was needed. early in the 2nd half we got a free kick just inside our own half and took a quick one. unfortunately it didnt work and city broke to score through daniel sturridge (who will go on to play for england. looks an excellent player for he future). we kicked in straight after that and attacked with vigour and energy. and we got the goal we deserved from a corner with kakuta shownig another side to his game with a towering header ahead of the keeper. the game clamed down after that with chelsea having more of the ball and city trying to catch us on the break. all in all it was a fantastic game to watch. chelsea didnt have a poor player on the pitch. every player seemed to play to their best, with stoch, kakuta, tejera and melllis standing out for me. cant wait for the 2nd leg....

Great game and a very good turnout, 11,980 according to the official site. Kakuta and Stoch look very good, as does Van Aanholt. Sturridge for City also looks like a very good player.

kakuta, who I told you boys about months ago as a player to watch, was the main man (or should I say boy!)again and we were very unlucky not to win the first leg...city dangerous on counter attack, but the technical footy was played by us...just shows our academy is progressing, but with the treatment of sinclair you do worry that no matter how good these guys get, they won't get a chance...i know he's only 16 but i see kakuta as a better player than the likes of kalou and has more skill than malouda already, but will he get a chance in the next few years? will he be like diarra and end up sodding off for first team football somewhere else

It was a really entertaining game. I thought we played some excellent football and probably deserved a win. Their defence was a lot better than ours but going forward we were very strong. The players who really caught my eye were Kakuta, Stoch and Woods. Stoch gave them a real runaround in the first half in particular. Woods looks a really top prospect. He defended, attacked and controlled the middle of the park. Kakuta couldn't get in to the game in the first half but in the second was really dangerous. If we can get a bit of shooting practice in before the next game then we have a great chance. Especially as the onus will be on City to come out and force the play instead of relying on the counter attack as they did tonight.

Not much to add to what has already been said about the game, except to reiterate the excellence of it in terms of open, attacking football. This really is the way to go for the club and, if Roman wants excitement, the trick will be to play in this style consistently and successfully both at this level and ultimately, with the bulk of these players, in the Premiership.

The game took on the same pattern as the opening one against Aston Villa in the semi-final and Sturridge is remarkably similar to Villa’s Delfouneso, while their winger Weiss was as dangerous as Villa’s Albright. I agree with dkw that Sturridge looks an England player in the making and he caused us no end of early problems drifting out to the right and attacking Gordon. This leads me to think that Paul Clement may well make the same tactical switch in the return leg as he did against Villa, moving Mellis into the back four and switching van Aanholt to full back. It worked [for a while] in the semi-final, but, more importantly here, it would hopefully nullify Sturridge marauding down the right.

What Clement also has up his sleeve is the tactic of combining this change with Tejera replacing Mellis in midfield, thereby freeing up his role behind the main striker. Don’t get me wrong, Tejera played well in the hole last night, but he did have a hatful of chances and maybe [nah, definitely] Kakuta would be better suited to take them rather than being somewhat sidelined. Nouble could then play wide right and Stoch be swapped over to the left to provide Citeh with a whole different set of problems. No need to declare this hand at the outset, as I’d have every confidence in this coach picking the right moment. For him, being proactive does not appear to be a problem.

Don't forget Taylor in nets, what a great save at 0 - 1, one on one fierce shot down to his right, strong arm full stretch, had that gone in i fear the tie woul've been over. clap2.gif

Should be a cracker up at Eastlands, think we need to keep taking the game to them 'tho, as i'm not sure we're as strong as a counter attacking team as they are.

Good luck boys, whatever happens the future looks as bright as Kakutas boots !! ::Scalf::

I agree with dkw that Sturridge looks an England player in the making and he caused us no end of early problems drifting out to the right and attacking Gordon.

I didn't think he was all that...was typical english youth product who looked good (for his age) but hogged the ball a lot and made a lot of bad decisions...remember he was up against boys two years his junior at the back and failed to make a number of good opportunities count...i bet he ends up having a career a bit like his brother

i had forgot about that save. was an absolute belter. he looks a good prospect. and hes englands under 18 keeper isnt he?

He's welsh. I think he's played for their U-21's but im not 100% sure.

Rhys Taylor (born 7 April 1990 in Neath) is a Welsh footballer, currently playing for the reserves at Chelsea.

He is yet to make an appearance for the first-team, although called up to the senior Chelsea squad in 2007. He appeared on the bench for Chelsea in their Premier League game against Newcastle United on December 29, due to the injuries of senior goalkeepers Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini. He was given the number 30 shirt.

He is a Wales Under 19 international, having been selected in the squad for the Milk Cup tournament in July/August 2007.[1] He previously captained his country at Under 16 level. On the 21 August 2007 he made his debut for Wales Under 21s in a friendly against Sweden and was subsequently selected in the squad for the first qualifying match for the UEFA Under 21 European Championships, against France U21's.

Following the departure of Yves Makabu-Makalambay (to Hibernian F.C.) in the 2007 summer, Taylor has become Chelsea's first choice goalkeeper at reserve level.

Archived