Super Frank

SydneyChelsea

Lampard is changing

I'm not sure why, but realistically, the only thing he really offers to the team is his finishing. He is much less involved or consistent in the quality of his build-up play. I don't think this diminishes him majorly as a player. It just seems as a passer and mover of the ball, in midfield, he is relatively ineffective at times. With the correct service though I think he is well capable of still scoring 10-15 goals a season, at least.

I think it probably has a lot to do with his run of injuries since he broke that record string of games. Playing as the heartbeat of a team requires you to gel with the teams' rhythm and maybe because he's been in and out of the team in the last two seasons, his unprecedented level of consistency and all-round game has dropped. His finishing hasn't, because that appears to be his innate skill, whereas his passing, movement and ability to dictate and influence have been noticeably less and that's probably because he hasn't been able to get back into the groove.

Lampard is playing in his usual position but maybe now it is too deep. I think Lamps has to be in or around the box as much as possible, operating almost like a second-striker, not recieving balls deep in midfield. He may seem like a 'luxury' player at the moment but I would have no other player in our squad on the end of our midfielders' balls.

Replacing Lampard

I'm not sure if Jose would still want him, because he is not the complete player that Jose wanted him to be anymore, but unsurprisingly Barcelona still do. Watching Barcelona this season there have been a million and one times Eto'o, Krkic or Messi have beaten the defensive line to cut the ball back only to have no one make the run towards the ball and you just think that if that was Chelsea, Lamps would've put that home like he's done about 10 billion other times.

For awhile I've thought it wouldn't be so bad to replace Lampard with a more creative player. Lamps averages something like 15 goals and 15 assists every season. Is there another player out there, other than Ronaldinho who has come close? (Gerrard has more assists but less goals). Even if we got van der Vaart, we could expect him to score 10 goals and 10 assists, but that's still less than Lampard's total. Even so, that's not the issue as van der Vaart's dynamism could lead to say, a productive partnership with Essien. My fear is based on Arsenal, who have struggled since losing a similarly-important player in Pires. Pires (and Ljungberg) were replaced with dynamic, creative players like Rosicky and Hleb, but are often found wasteful and wanting in front of goal.

I think replacing a goalscoring midfielder is much harder than replacing a striker. I don't have any qualms about replacing Drogba. Most clubs have a good record when it comes to replacing a goalscoring striker because strikers tend to step up to the plate when the service around them is good and they gain confidence (Adebayor anyone?). However, goalscoring midfielders are probably only missed when they are gone. Lampard is not wholly irreplaceable, but it would take a massive, massive change to replace him, you would need 2 or 3 good players to do his work. And why would you- take advantage of his goalscoring abilities by pairing him with a more creative player.

Frank was awesome last night, once he actually realised he should of been playing as an attacking midfielder at least :P Completely anonymous for the first 75 minutes or so, but once he started going forward he was fantastic, and along with Kalou he was *imo* responsible for turning the game back around.

No way was he awesome. He did improve I'll grant you but he was still poor and could easily have been subbed. He had that one instance late in the second half where he was on the left in plenty of space and he just knocked a completely wasteful ball nowhere. That was not awesome.

No way was he awesome. He did improve I'll grant you but he was still poor and could easily have been subbed. He had that one instance late in the second half where he was on the left in plenty of space and he just knocked a completely wasteful ball nowhere. That was not awesome.

He also played probably the best ball of the night to Joe early in the first half - unfortunately Joe made a complete hash of it.

But, I agree he wasn't awesome. He gave the ball away cheaply for their goal and looked like someone who was distracted and hadn't played for a couple of games.

He's just a bit rusty.

He is a player who wants to play all the time and needs games to keep his sharpness. He has missed the last few games and it showed last night. Finished well though.

I agree with this. His mum being in hospital obviously doesn't help matters but i'm inclined to think he would be the kind of guy that is professional and would want to use football to get his mind off such matters but anyway one problem is Lamps is getting towards that 30-yo mark and if he requires lots of games to remain consistent...with his age i don't think that will as possible.

is not changing. is a legend, will never be as consistent as he was in the 03/04 and 04/05 seasons.

was pretty rubbish yesterday. great ball for joe though.

for me, always, he's best playing deep and running into the box from in front of the opposition's midfield behind them. he's not player who should or does link midfield and attack, never has been, never will be. part of our footballing problem was not truly appreciating he needs, in a 3 man midfield, to partner a player who is more creative and plays further forward (vdv) rather than more defensive and often deeper (essien).

"This time last week was very bleak," Lampard, who missed the Premier League games against Wigan Athletic and Everton, told the Chelsea Web site (www.chelseafc.com) on Wednesday.

"I won't go into details but we were getting a very bleak outlook. That was the hardest moment for me in my life."

His mother's condition improved enough for Lampard to play against Liverpool, although he said he had resigned himself to missing the match.

"Three days ago I wasn't playing in my mind. But we got some decent news on Saturday afternoon and my head came round a little bit then. I made a decision to go in training on Sunday to see how I felt," the 29-year-old said.

"The manager and the club have been fantastic and have not put any pressure on me whatsoever. I felt I could come and play and in a way the training and the playing has helped to take my mind off things, whereas last week I was in a bad situation."

Dont criticize his performance after him having to come through such a tough patch

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=528313&cc=3436

Lampard rushes back to be with ill mum

Frank Lampard will return to the bedside of his seriously ill mother after admitting he has been through the hardest time of his life.

Click here

An improvement in mum Pat's condition gave Lampard the incentive to leave her Essex hospital and play in Chelsea's Champions League semi-final against Liverpool at Anfield last night.

Lampard and other members of his family have been keeping a bedside vigil ever since Pat was admitted to hospital with pneumonia just over a week ago.

The midfielder helped Chelsea to secure a 1-1 first-leg draw courtesy of an injury-time own goal from Liverpool substitute John Arne Riise.

Avram Grant's side were trailing to a 42nd-minute opener from Dirk Kuyt and had rarely looked capable of equalising until Riise's last-minute blunder gave Chelsea a slight advantage going into the return leg at Stamford Bridge next week.

But Lampard will return to his mum's side today - hoping that her condition continues to improve enough for him to play against Manchester United on Saturday.

The England international admitted that the outlook had been 'very bleak' at one stage last week and that her recent improvement was the only reason he felt able to play against the Merseysiders.

'This time last week was very bleak,' revealed Lampard. 'I won't go into details but we were getting a very bleak outlook. That was the hardest moment for me in my life.

'I am very lucky because I have a very tough mum, who is a very good person, and I think that might be what is helping her at the minute.

'Three days ago I wasn't playing in my mind. But we got some decent news on Saturday afternoon and my head came round a little bit then. I made a decision to go in training on Sunday to see how I felt.

'The manager and the club have been fantastic and have not put any pressure on me whatsoever. I just felt I could come and play and in a way the training and the playing has helped to take my mind off things, whereas last week I was in a bad situation.

'I trained yesterday and I will be honest I wasn't in the greatest of shape. I have been in better shape for games both mentally and physically but it has been a very difficult week.'

Lampard revealed he very nearly missed out on the Anfield clash.

He continued: 'Things have brightened up a little bit in the last few days but without that happening back home I wouldn't have been playing.

'It has been a positive few days from what was a very desperate situation last week.

'I know what why mum is like. My mum and dad follow me up and down the country and hopefully, all being well, my mum will come round and I know she would have had a right go at me for not playing in this game.

'That was in the back of my mind. She is stable at the minute and that gave me a bit of a clear mind to come and play but I will be back with her tomorrow.

'In terms of the game it was tough mentally but once the game started I just concentrated on the job.'

It's more than just the goals though Bluenut. He works his bollocks off, plays where he is asked, when he is asked, provides assists and gives a balance and rhythm to the side.

Someone said that Jose wouldn't want him now - believe me, if he leaves Chelsea he'll be playing for Jose wherever that is.

reading the comments from readers on the sun make me sick:

Hope your mum gets well soon but don't make as if her illness is the most tragic incident in the world just because you are a footballer and called Frank Lampard.
Get real Lamps, it's not like she's in a hospital bed after a serious car crash and in a coma

It's more than just the goals though Bluenut. He works his b*****ks off, plays where he is asked, when he is asked, provides assists and gives a balance and rhythm to the side.

Someone said that Jose wouldn't want him now - believe me, if he leaves Chelsea he'll be playing for Jose wherever that is.

I know mate!!!

He's being critisised but last night played in a more withdrawn role, with Ballack further ahead of him for most of the game. He looked different when pushed more advanced. Saying that, with everything going on in his life he still gives more than most, when compared to the likes of Malouda who seems to be pining for France, it put things into perspective a bit

Those comment from the Sun are f**cking disgusting.

The MEDIA have made this into a story, not Frank. Why on earth would he want there to be mass media coverage of this????

Some people are so f*cking vile and stupid.

Those comment from the Sun are f**cking disgusting.

The MEDIA have made this into a story, not Frank. Why on earth would he want there to be mass media coverage of this????

Some people are so f*cking vile and stupid.

Those comments just says it all , disgraceful for the Sun publishing them in the first place , have they no tact , thats just disgusting journalism and the editor should be sacked .

i came on here earlier to pass on my condolences to lampard,like i said then i`m not his biggest fan,but the s** is the worst paper in the world theyre always writting sh*t they dont give a f*** about anyone feelings,never have

rip

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic article today in the Times from Martin Samuel.

Failing the Frank Lampard litmus test

Well worth a read in full but I particularly liked...

They will talk against all logic to justify their argument as just about every way of quantifying a football match suggests Lampard is exceptional.
I do know, though, that after Wednesday I am more convinced than ever that if you hate Lampard, you don’t know what you’re watching.

Loz, send that man a Shed End mug!

Archived