Italy Tournament Record - How Many Penatly Shootouts

ozboy
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Does anyone off the top of their head have a record of how many tournaments Italy has been in in the past 20 years where the team has finished with a penalty shoot out either win or loss.

Seems to me its virtually every tournament going back at least to the USA world cup. These guys are killing world football.

Does anyone off the top of their head have a record of how many tournaments Italy has been in in the past 20 years where the team has finished with a penalty shoot out either win or loss.

Seems to me its virtually every tournament going back at least to the USA world cup. These guys are killing world football.

Be afraid ozboy.

Look outside your window. See there, just in the shadows of that shop doorway? A thin fella with platform shoes, wild, staring eyes and a goatee beard? That's Pauly that is. And he knows where you live.

I know they lost to Brazil in one penalty shootout (94 WC final), one against France (WC 2006 win) of course. Had another penalty shootout that they lost to France in either a world cup or euro tournament. And I bet there is more.

got what they deserved tonight...dull as dishwater...they looked good in one game, their 3-0 defeat to holland funnily enough when they actually went forward, but got caught on the counter, after that they went back to shutting up shop as usual...people go on about the win over france, but one, they were an awful ageing team and two, they got the gift of a red card and pen early on

It took some research but in 4 out of the last five world cups Italy's last match in the tournament was a penalty shoot out, of which they won just one, scoring 2 goals in four matches. A real thrill a minute.

In the European championships Italy have gone to penalty shoot out for their last match either 3 or 4 times.

It took some research but in 4 out of the last five world cups Italy's last match in the tournament was a penalty shoot out, of which they won just one, scoring 2 goals in four matches. A real thrill a minute.

In the European championships Italy have gone to penalty shoot out for their last match either 3 or 4 times.

I think Motson said last night they hold the record for the number of 0-0s in the Euros.

Adrian Durham was slaughtering the Italians style of play on his radio phone-in yesterday. Someone posed the question would that Italy team have qualified for the tournament from a group containing Croatia and Russia?

Jason Cundy was sticking up for the Italian tactics, basically arguing that defending is every bit a part of football as attacking and you make the best of what you've got. I agree with him.

• 2 months later...