A High Concept Film Idea

loz

I am looking for some good ideas for a 'high concept' for a film. You know the sort of thing, where the basic story of the film is expressed in a handful of words.

i.e. if someone asked you what the film Toy Story was about you might say 'A cowboy toy's jealousy when a new spaceman toy appears on the scene leads to chaos' or for Duel you might say 'A man is hunted and terrorized by a truck with a faceless driver' or Jaws could be 'Three men take action when a giant great white attacks an island town'

So you get the idea - what I am looking for is some ideas along these lines for a new film. i.e. if you were pitching a fim to a producer and had 10 or 15 words to convince them of your idea what would they be.

aged crone is accused of cheating in quiz game; cut to the quick, she pays plastic surgeon to turn her into a babe before wreaking vengeance upon her accusers, one by one (Like in Truffaut's the Bride Wore Black)

A group of men who have never met communicate in cyberspace about their favourite football team. Split screens show them typing gaily away. Unbeknown to the others, one is a mole, an agent provocateur from a rival team, who posts venomous attacks which lead to male handbags at dawn. They are due to meet in a pub for the very first time before a cup final between their two teams. In the weeks preceding this inaugural piss-up a somewhat erudite member of the group begins to suspect the motives of the arch-hater, and takes steps to unmask him ..... the dénouement will take place on the terraces as the winning goal is scored by ......

(Sorry, Valerie and Gem, we can write some women in if you like - all films seem to have a bit of totty in nowadays)

the most famous high concept tag I can recall is the alien one- jaws in space. that was pretty good.

(loz did you get mods pm?)

:D yes - I had seen some of it before but not all put together like that - and may I say put together in a way that made me laugh at it rather than laugh with it.

the fast and the furious- point break with cars.

did you see the two most amazing things in history-

the first being the picture of... as jesus... as in jesus christ.

and the other thing, the audio... with the fake rp voice?

did you see the two most amazing things in history-

the first being the picture of... as jesus... as in jesus christ.

and the other thing, the audio... with the fake rp voice?

is that some kind of code?

The audio I didn't have the strength to stomach though I may now go back to it. As for the JC, I have printed that out and am going to frame it and will hang it, with his home address underneath, in the Sistine Chapel.

Most have noidea what we are talking about so here is a hint - it is a web page and it included the following paragraph

Notes on the script: this script - described by my agent as, 'A cross between Tarantino and Mamet' - is a Nicholl finalist and has garnered a great deal of attention. So much so that Warner Brothers Independent agreed to finance it to the tune of US$7,000,000 in 2006 (with Director, David Slade attached) and was officially making 'pay or play' offers to the stars. Actors as diverse as Kevin Spacey, John Cusack and Vinnie Jones wanted to do this film. Unfortunately everything went pear shaped at the 11th hour, when David decided he wanted to direct '30 Days of Night' with Sam Raimi, before directing 'The Collective Desperation of Myth'...only to "change his mind" once 30 Days of Night was completed over a year later. Even though my agent and manager (we have the same manager mind you) had put the script on-ice during this time - as per David's request - while we waited for him to become available.

If you don't have some idea now then you either weren't around at the time or you weren't paying attention!!

they're onto us! yeah listened to the entire audio... well worth it.

want an original high concept idea?

maybe... a man gets injured, and upon wakening, can only remember 7 days worth of memories... each day that passes he forgets the day seven days past? sounds crap and memento... stolen... bah

Archived