Sir Bobby Robson

BLUENUT

I've just watched a charity match for the ex-England manager, that must have brought a tear to the eye of every genuine football fan up and down the country. The charity match between a German and England 11, at St James Park made up of players from our game against them in the 1990 World cup.

Ok, the TV station, with Clive ''looking for another memorable line'' Tyldsley commentating, , did seem to want to draw emotion from the watching audience, but you cannot help admire the man the game was played for.

The knighted, ex-England manager, a man who has dedicated his life to, and will be remembered for his contribution to football worldwide is currently sadly losing his 5th battle with cancer.

Bobby Robson, wheelchair bound, but was determined to shake the hand of every player who attended to play in the match. Organised on behalf of The Booby Robson cancer foundation.. He has managed to raise over £1.5M by attending functions for the foundation named after him, in the past year or so, and given his age and current state of health, that feat itself is a remarkable measure of the man.

As England manager, his team's gave me the two best world cup experience's of my life, in Mexico and Italy, and with the grace of god, rather than the''Hand of God'', or the boot of Waddle, he could have been the greatest English manager in the history of the game, we'll let's face it, he probably is already!!!

The man who unearthed Ronaldo (who he took to Barca - the rest became history) and Gudjohnson (the player he rated infront of Ronaldo) during his time at PSV, the man who gave birth to Paul Gascoinge (did you know he brought him down as a homesick junior to Ipswich) and many other players thoughout the game.

A true gent, a great manager, and an ambassador of football.

Mr Robson, You have touched the heart many football fans up and down the country. Best wishes to you and your family.

Bluenut

Still remember his comments after Newcastle beat Man Utd years ago (4-3), when asked what new strategy he used in the game to nick the 3 points, he replied: "One more than the other team!"

Always like the man, never found any reason to dislike him.......thoughts with him and his family.

Sir Bobby Robson is a legend, and I am so sorry to see him having to battle like this for his life.

I too wish him the best. He is absolute the personification of class in football

Totally agree. A tremendous manager and a really, really good guy. He's been battling cancer with amazing fight for years and it's very sad to see him going downhill.

He's pretty much everything that is great and right about football. A true diamond.

If only more of the current days players conducted themselves with the same class and humility as he does, the game would be much, much better for it.

I find it hard to believe that there can be a single English football fan alive who witnessed Robson's time as England manager, both on and off the pitch, and doesn't have a special place in their football heart for him. Not since then has our international team been managed with such dignity and it was that dignity that made it even harder to accept being knocked out of the 1986 World Cup (or at least partially knocked out) by Maradona's handball.

The English press are scum, that we all know, but they scraped new lows when they attacked Robson. Now that same media portray him as a legend and a gentleman. It is just another reason that I never read tabloids and am very selective about what I read in the broadsheets. We keep these people in jobs by reading the rubbish they write and I urge everyone to stop!

Robson is a man of great class, they are few and far between in the top flight of football and it is a worse place for that.

I find it hard to believe that there can be a single English football fan alive who witnessed Robson's time as England manager, both on and off the pitch, and doesn't have a special place in their football heart for him. Not since then has our international team been managed with such dignity and it was that dignity that made it even harder to accept being knocked out of the 1986 World Cup (or at least partially knocked out) by Maradona's handball.

The English press are scum, that we all know, but they scraped new lows when they attacked Robson. Now that same media portray him as a legend and a gentleman. It is just another reason that I never read tabloids and am very selective about what I read in the broadsheets. We keep these people in jobs by reading the rubbish they write and I urge everyone to stop!

Robson is a man of great class, they are few and far between in the top flight of football and it is a worse place for that.

Completely agree, and thanks for reminding me about the press, the underlying reason he left the England job. He went on to win Leagues in Holland and Portugal, and won 2 domestic cups in Barcalona in 1 year of management, finishing runne-rup in the laegue (I think) awaking the fortunes of the then sleeping giant. (Barca hadn't won the league for about 4 years, then won it the following year with him as director of football)

If only we'd have kept him on, there'd have been no Turnip-Taylor, perhaps not even need for a foreign manager to take the reigns.

The FA said we didn't have a good enough English manager, we did, but he was winning all different types of competitions and friends on the continent where his knowledge, humility and grace were appreciated! Although I understand his age was a factor by the time the FA went continental on us.

If you ever get the chance to watch the interview/documentary with Gary Lineker from a couple of years ago when he was Newcastle manager, take the time out, it's a real endearing and heart warming piece of television, for any English football fan.

Edited by BLUENUT