Fergie

sals

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...out-Fergie.html

ALEX FERGUSON is facing mounting pressure to have him kicked out of football.

The union for referees has demanded the FA get tough with the Manchester United boss for accusing Alan Wiley of being unfit.

Alan Leighton, the national secretary of Prospect, says banning Ferguson from the touchline or giving him a hefty fine would have no effect.

He wants the FA to "grab the nettle" and banish him for good. Leighton said: "I don't know what Sir Alex earns but a small fine or a touchline suspension would be like water off a duck's back to him.

"So I think there has to be some recognition that this is a serious allegation that needs to be properly dealt with and punished severely.

"There are issues around suspension from the job that would be new territory that hasn't happened before, but I think the FA has to grab the nettle on this one.

"There has to be some punishment that is going to stop people from doing this or otherwise we are going to see more and more of it.

"We have to talk about punishments that are going to really lead to a change in behaviour."

Leighton insisted: "I think the FA has to act on this. There is no future with the Respect campaign if the FA don't act.

"I see the FA have asked him to explain his comments. I'm not really sure what requires explanation.

"I would like to see the FA act quickly to restore Alan's reputation and ensure referees get some protection from what seems to be a growing approach that managers feel they can abuse them."

Ferguson accused Wiley of being unfit to referee United's clash with Sunderland at Old Trafford last Saturday.

The 18 full-time officials, who earn a £50,000 basic salary from the Professional Game Match Officials Board, are put through their paces once a year with a tough workout at Warwick University and constantly monitored.

To earn his whistle, a ref must:

Complete six 40m sprints in 6.2sec or less with a 30sec break in between.

After a 10min break, do 20 repetitions of running 150m in 30sec, then walking 50m in 35sec.

Train each week throughout the season and send in their data and match data recorded by heart monitors to PGMOB fitness instructors.

Time and time again over the years Fergie has managed to get off scot free for comments that no other manager would have. This time round though looks like the rather large hole in his face might finally land him in some serious trouble. The refs have had enough and seem to be pushing this quite strongly. Will be interesting to see how the FA act with all this pressure on them. I still can't see the punishment being too severe but surely he must get at least a touchline ban. Which if nothing else would mean a high chance of them dropping points.

Along with that just thought i would start a thread to b*tch about old red nose and his antics

when he's talking about the standard of referees he's normally bang on. wiley is a fat c*nt.

there isn't 1 referee in the country who can do a barely passable job every week of the season. they are all crap

they can't even deal with the players on a proper level. they run around with that smug, condescending look on their faces. is it any wonder players get wound up about decisions

and until there is proper repercussions for them on the standard of their performance then they deserve all the comments that come their way. if i was as bad at my job as howard webb is at his i would be sacked in the morning

A big LOL.

Come on, kicked out of football? They talk about the respect campaign but Ferguson was never going to follow that. You let a man get away with it for nearly a couple of decades and what do they expect? Should have cut out this tripe a long time ago. It's their own fault.

when he's talking about the standard of referees he's normally bang on. wiley is a fat c*nt.

there isn't 1 referee in the country who can do a barely passable job every week of the season. they are all crap

they can't even deal with the players on a proper level. they run around with that smug, condescending look on their faces. is it any wonder players get wound up about decisions

and until there is proper repercussions for them on the standard of their performance then they deserve all the comments that come their way. if i was as bad at my job as howard webb is at his i would be sacked in the morning

maybe you should have a go at being a ref, then you would find out exactly how tough they have it at the moment. not only do they have to contend with the rules, they also have to put up with players who continually cheat and push the rules at every opportunity, pressure from the managers and pressure and abuse from the palyers. all seemingly without any backing from the FA or their own organisation. without them their is no game, and the players and managers should think on that. i dont like some of the smug gits but i do respect the difficult job they have.

if they were semiway competent then there would be no issue but week in week out you see ridiculous decisions made

i know we keep harping on about it but look at ovrebo. 4 blatant penalties

that's 11 players who had given they're everything and deserved to go through to the final and to have the opportunity to write history for their club. it was denied because some tw*t with the whistle was too cr*p to do his job properly. and the consequences for him? straight back to champions league action and a place at the 2010 world cup. i know he's not a premiership ref but there are a lot of comparisons that can be drawn with the way he nonchalantly strode down the pitch after turning down the blatant had ball in the last minute

and the "respect" campaign is a joke. you can't demand respect, you have to earn it and until they can do their jobs properly they don't deserve it

i think the FA should take on 20-30 new refs and train them properly from scratch and get rid of every top flight ref about at the minute. they're just not good enough

Sexelk, I know they make a lot of mistakes and some of them are pretty ridiculous, but it's not quite as easy job as you seem to think it is. There are some referees who are probably making too many mistakes(or are biased :rolleyes: ), but to say there isn't even a single referee in England who can do a passable job is a gross generalization.

Whatever you say is all good...but I want Fergie to be dealt with really hard. That would teach all these smug Slur Alex worshipers nicely who say that he can do or say anything as he is above football laws in general.

the refs surely cant always be blamed, there are a lot of players to get in their way and from the last round of matches there were at least two bad decisions that werent given as they were not helped by linesman who did have a decent view of the incidents. Bottom line in this is not whether the decision is right or wrong it is the fact that fergie is getting away with saying things that no other manager would. Sure he has been at the club for a long time but everyone needs to be treated equally or it is making a mockery out of the FA.

Bottom line in this is not whether the decision is right or wrong it is the fact that fergie is getting away with saying things that no other manager would.

Exactly. I don't care how long he's been at Newton Heath FC, but the rules should be the same for everyone.

Found an article on Daily mail which shows that Wiley actually covered more ground than all but 7 players on the field in man u's game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...Alan-Wiley.html

As far as statistics go this article shows that Wiley's performance was well above average. In my opinion the big decision he got wrong in this match was that he gave Richardson that red card.

all i'm saying is if there is to be consequences for SAF then referees need to be held accountable for their performances as well

No that's not all you're saying. And you know it. You're slagging off referees and making excuses for the red nosed git.

Historically - and this means before the days of multi angle, constant analysis and re-analysis of every other possibly contentious decision, the referee's decision was final. You'd go to a match, you'd sing "the referee's a w**ker" and "who's the bar steward in the black". You'd question the referee's eyesight but you'd go home and that would more or less be the end of it.

I don't believe that the average standard of referee is any worse then it's ever been. Possibly it's better, it's impossible to say. What's different is the constant, relentless pressure they're under, from players, managers, fans and the media. The fact that Ferguson has got away with it for so long does nothing but pile more pressure on referees.

Fact: most fans feel hard done by after the average game. By their very nature, football fans see things with blue or red or whatever tinted glasses. So do managers. With all this in mind, I can see exactly where the FA's Respect campaign is coming from. Whether the time is right to introduce goal line and/or other video technology is another not entirely related argument. However, to take the attitude that referees must also be held accountable feeds right into Ferguson's behaviour, both excusing it and to at least some extent, condoning it.

Managers, especially Ferguson, have chipped away at the doctrine of the finality of the referee's decision for years, aided and abetted by a sh*t-scared. sycophantic media, and it's high time the old bar steward had the book thrown at him.

No that's not all you're saying. And you know it. You're slagging off referees and making excuses for the red nosed git.

i'm not making excuses for him, i agree with him

players are held responsible for their performances, managers are held responsible for their performances, refs should be as well because on too many occassions they have too big a part to play in the outcome of a game with bad decisions . then i could understand them wanting a break from criticism. but until that happens, i think they get off rather lightly with the odd slur

i'm not making excuses for him, i agree with him

players are held responsible for their performances, managers are held responsible for their performances, refs should be as well because on too many occassions they have too big a part to play in the outcome of a game with bad decisions . then i could understand them wanting a break from criticism. but until that happens, i think they get off rather lightly with the odd slur

In this instance Fergie is 100% wrong, Alan Wiley got slagged off for being unfit and if you read this article

it proves that he was more than fit enough. he did not deserve the criticism at all. Fergie needs to be punished

In this instance Fergie is 100% wrong, Alan Wiley got slagged off for being unfit and if you read this article

it proves that he was more than fit enough. he did not deserve the criticism at all. Fergie needs to be punished

fair dues, he's fitter than i would have given him credit for

but it doesn't change my point about referee's accountability

Yes your right that refs should get held more accountable for poor performances. For example the fact that Drogba and bosingwa are banned for CL games an ovrebo is reffing straight away is an absolute disgrace. But it does not change the fact that Fergie can not come out an criticise the performances and not expect consequences for his comments. Most the time when he does he is wrong, his is trying to cover up for a sh*t performance for his team. A lot of the time when refs get criticised they have had fine games but it is just one incident that they get wrong.

In the wolves pompey game the ref got criticised for not giving a penalty to wolves, which would have changed the outcome of the game. In the review show however they have an animated thing which shows the view that the ref had of the incident, from this view it was impossible for the ref to see it. The linesman should have called it and yet it is the ref who takes the blame for it.

Referee's make mistakes, however, they get 95% plus of their decisions right. There are some howlers made, the handball in the Pompey v Sunderland match for example, but then again the men-with-flags could provide more help much of the time.

Try refereeing, you get one view of an incident at full speed to make your decision. That is one view that may at the vital moment be partially obscured by a player running across you line of sight. The standard of refereeing is on the whole VERY high, and some of the referees have the humility to come out and apologise when they get decisions wrong. You NEVER get the same response from players/managers who have criticised a decision where a referee is subsequently shown to have been correct.

Referees will never get 100% of decisions correct, but they are much closer to it than most players... what percentage of shots does your £100k/week striker get on target? what's the pass accuracy of your star midfielder?

Slur Alex should get a UEFA style stadium ban, our touchline bans are a joke. If the FA want RESPECT then they need to start cracking down and backing referees, and putting meaningful punishments in place.

Also, keep Ovrebo out of any discussions on ref'ing as I'm sure he was only following orders (i.e. don't give Chelsea anything you don't have to!).

if all they have to deal with is a little criticism then i don't think they can complain

their decisions can have serious financial consequences for clubs as well. rangers are in pretty bad shape financially and in the sevilla game last week they should have been awarded a penalty which would have put them 1 up. then sevilla's 1st goal came from a free kick which shouldn't have been given. maybe not the best example cause we went on and got hammered but if those decisions result in rangers not qualifying from the group or not qualifying for the europa league then they are going to be much worse off than they could have been

again rangers maybe isn't the best example because they are a big club but for smaller clubs it can make all the difference

i remember looking at one of those tables that showed the league as it should have been with correct decisions and middlesbrough were clear of relegation. they were royally screwed over last season

I have to agree with Sexelk here. I'm not Fergies biggest fan but that doesn't mean I think he is wrong every time (though mostly he is).

Refs today aren't quite good enough (generally of course). It almost seem like they are stuck on the level they had 10-15 years ago while the football has advanced.

I'm not saying that refs are always bad, because they're not. But it's not often (almost never) I can say that the ref had a good game.

I can also accept that they are human and do make mistakes. After all it is impossible to be perfect in every game.

But I hate the fact that the refs are so protected. If a player has a bad game there can be hell to pay. Papers are writing page after page about it and the whole country demands that the player never get into the national team.

If a ref has a howler of a game - nothing.

If a player even suggests that the ref was "slightly below average" he'd get the book thrown at him.

i remember looking at one of those tables that showed the league as it should have been with correct decisions and middlesbrough were clear of relegation. they were royally screwed over last season

Never mind the fact that they failed to score in 17 league matches that season. I'm sure they got some decisions going against them, but if you fail to score in roughly about half of your league matches, then I'm not sure if you deserve to stay up.

Refs today aren't quite good enough (generally of course). It almost seem like they are stuck on the level they had 10-15 years ago while the football has advanced.

You mean the players are more "professional" at cheating!

Moos. You and sexelk both miss the point of all this. Which is that Ferguson has been getting away with this crap for years. Ferguson DOES influence referees. He does it deliberately. He is a loud-mouthed bully. If any other manager pulled the sh*t he's been pulling for decades now, they'd have been quite rightly punished.

But Ferguson continues to get away with it. This is reflected in the lenient attitude towards the likes of Scholes and Rooney. In the case of Scholes the sycophantic chuckle of "he's a hell of a player but he can't time a tackle" excuse every time he launches into another potential leg breaker. And Rooney? His petulance, his treatment of referees mirrors that of his manager. And why? Because the fat scouse git knows he can get away with it. Ferguson gets away with it, Scholes and Rooney continually get away with it - and Man U not only continually get away with it but repeatedly walk away with yet another undeserved three points.

Why did Ferguson blow up at the weekend? Because they didn't win. Simple as that. Never mind that they were lucky to escape with a point, if they'd somehow managed to steal another three points from the game, Ferguson would have been all smiles.

No I'm not changing tack here. It's true, referees are out of step. And what they're out of step with is the win at all cost attitude prevalent in the modern game. The constant pressure and over analysis only serves to heap more pressure on referees. Ferguson's constant bullying adds yet another layer to that pressure.

But go on sexelk, blame the refs. Truth is they're easy targets, always have been. And Ferguson knows this better than anyone else.

I agree completely with lofty here, and he influences refs though this way so that in the next game the borderline calls will go the mancs way. The amount of dubious decisions that have gone in favour their way in the last couple of seasons must be double that of any other team. You dont hear him saying the refs performance was below par then.

Archived