Porto vs Chelsea (CL 25/11/09) 1945 KO

loz

difficult to predict a line-up ... I have to admit I would rather see some players rested. Arsenal game is going to be very important, and we are already through. Of course the first place would be better but PL has to be first priority.

Carvahlo and Zhirkov didnt play this weekend so I think they will both play. Either Ivan or PF at RB, Belletti was pretty awful. ::clap2::

Deco and Ballack have been rested this weekend so they might come in.

And I guess Drogba is going to be fit again.

-------------------Cech-------------------------

---PF/Ivan----Carv-----JT----------Zhirkov----

-------------------mikel-------------------------

--------------essien---ballack------------------

--------------------Deco-------------------------

-------------Anelka--Drogba--------------------

We should do fine with this performance.

And I hope Kakuta will start on the bench ...

Seeing as this is a game we don't have to win (even if it would be nice to take home three points) and we've got a very important game coming up I hope we rest some players.

Not sure who's out and who might be ready for a return. Bosingwa is out for sure and probably Lampard as well, but what about Ballack, Drogba and Deco?

Are they ready to return?

If they are then the question is whether we should let them play immediately or let them rest until we face Arsenal.

Personally I would rather like it if we played some youngsters.

Cech in goal.

Defensive line with Belletti/Ferreira - Riccy - Terry/Alex - Zhirkov.

Midfield consisting of Mikel, Matic, Kakuta and Joey or Essien (even if Deco is fit he shouldn't be rushed back).

Up front we'll have Kalou and Borini.

If Ballack, Drogba and Deco are back then we could let them start on the bench and then bring them on sometime in the 2nd half.

I doubt Ancelotti will do this though. If Drogba is back then he will play and the same goes for Ballack and Deco I guess.

I hope to see Kakuta anyway.

A draw would be enough in this game because we play APOEL in the last round and I seriously doubt we'll fail to beat them at home. So 4 points from the last two games would ensure that we end in first place.

Anelka should certainly be rested. He's had a very demanding program recently and will also be much needed after xmas. Drogba could be used but otherwise Kalou and Sturridge can lead the line. Maybe a good game to give Zhirkov a run instead of Ashley, Ivan at right back. Still can't understand how Belletti gets on the park.

Cech

Ivan, Alex, Terry, Zhirkov

essien, mikel, cole/deco Malouda

Kalou Drogba

Actually we´ve only won 2 out of our last 9 CL away games. Lost only once though so I expect another draw which will most probably seal our first spot as well. I hope we will field that kind of team:

--------------Cech-------------

Ivan-----Riccy-----JT------Yuri

--------------Mikel--------------

-Essien-----------------Malouda

------ Deco----------Joey-------

-------------Kalou---------------

Bench: Hilarious, Belletti, Ashley, Ballack, Kakuta, Borini, DD

I hope we´ll give Anelka some rest. Hope that DD won´t have to start as well as we need him against Gooners and last time he played midweek CL game against Athletico (where he was briliant) he was fairly average against ManU. Riccy will hopefully start as well. Poroto haven´t been good lately and they are probably satisfied with the second place. They have a tough last game against Atletico in Madrid so even if they win this one against us, they still have a really tough fixture coming up. So a draw is probably a fairly good rasult for both teams and it´s important to get this match behind without any major injury worries.

-------------------Cech-------------------------

---Ivanovic----Alex-----Terry----------Zhirkov----

-------------------Mikel-------------------------

--------------Essien---Malouda------------------

--------------------Deco-------------------------

-------------Anelka--Kalou--------------------

Subs: Hilario, Carvalho, Kakuta, Matic, Borini, Sturridge, Joe Cole

Anelka (270 minutes of football the previous week) and Ashley (fresh from injury) might be the only major players rested for this game by my reckoning. So I am really wishing for a Zhirkov start.

One of the major dilemmas for Ancelotti against Arsenal is going to be the right back slot with the other been tip of diamond. Those are the two positions where he might experiment a little. He might as well opt for a 4-3-2-1.

On a side note, did Sturridge injure himself on international duty? I doubt he did. But shouldn't he have featured on the bench against Wolves?

I could be completely making this up, but I think I remember reading in one of the threads on here that Kakuta's ban was still in effect when we had to name our squad for the Champions League, and as such he won't be eligible to play.

Perhaps not the best source of all, but here's from Wikipedia.

"On 1 September 2009, Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti added Kakuta to his Champions League squad."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%C3%ABl_Kakuta

I could be completely making this up, but I think I remember reading in one of the threads on here that Kakuta's ban was still in effect when we had to name our squad for the Champions League, and as such he won't be eligible to play.

From the Official site

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SQUAD NAMED

Posted on: Wed 02 Sep 2009

The squad list for the group stage of this season's Champions League has been announced.

Clubs are allowed to submit an A List and a B List, both equally eligible for selection for games. Regulations mean the A List consists of the majority of the first team squad while young players who have been at Chelsea for a period of time make up List B.

The squad lists are:

A List

Petr Cech

Branislav Ivanovic

Ashley Cole

Michael Essien

Ricardo Carvalho

Frank Lampard

Joe Cole

Didier Drogba

John Mikel Obi

Michael Ballack

Florent Malouda

José Bosingwa

Yury Zhirkov

Deco

Salomon Kalou

Ross Turnbull

Daniel Sturridge

John Terry

Alex

Juliano Belletti

Nicolas Anelka

Henrique Hilario

Sam Hutchinson

B List

Rhys Taylor

Jeffrey Bruma

Gaël Kakuta

No club may have more than 25 players on List A during the season. Eight places on List A are reserved for 'locally trained players'.

A 'locally trained player' is either a 'club-trained player' or an 'association-trained player' and no club may have more than four 'association-trained players' listed among the eight.

A 'club-trained player' is a player who, between the age of 15 and 21, and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months.

In the case of Chelsea, an 'association-trained player' is a player who, between the age of 15 and 21 and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been registered with another club affiliated to the FA for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months.

These regulations mean Chelsea's A List will contain 23 players for this season's group stage.

A player may be registered on List B if he is born on or after 1 January 1988 and has been eligible to play for Chelsea for any uninterrupted period of two years since his 15th birthday.

Following the submission of these lists, a club may register up to three new eligible players for the remaining matches, such registration completed by 1 February.

Ancelotti, being very aware of the advantage of finishing top of the group, will want to finish with a draw-win sequence at worst to finish top of the group. With our superior goal difference over Porto a defeat by 1 goal would probably be sufficient too.

Porto have a tough last game in Madrid unless Atletico win in Nicosia this week thereby ensuring they finish 3rd in group. Hence they would have nothing really to play for in their last match.

A draw or win for Apoel v Atletico means all to play for in their last games.

There is much to play for this week; Plenty of recovery time before sunday. I should be surprised if Ancelotti plays just Kalou leaving out both Drogba and Anelka unless he really isn't worried about 1st or 2nd.

Lyon and Bordeaux could both top their groups; you would be happy to draw one of those.

According to the List A/B thing, I think Kakuta can play for us tomorrow, he's been here since he was 15 and his ban happened when he was 18...hope so!

---------------------Cech

--Ivanovic--Carvalho---JT---Zhirkov?!

--------------------Mikel

------------Essien-------Malouda

--------------------Deco

----------Anelka---------Kalou

Not expecting much change from the Wolves line-up, hope to see Ivan play at RB and Joey'll probably need a rest.

Question. Do we have a striker to go on the bench? Drogs is injured. Studge is injured. Borini is inelligible.

I think Carlo will rest a few players in preparation for the Arsenal game. Ashley Cole should get a game off, really surprised he played against the Wolves, maybe one of Anelka and Essien starting off the bench. Of course losing is no fun, but this is kind of game we should try out the squad players.

Drogba, Ballack, and Deco have all made the trip to Porto

i'm not too fussed about deco to be honest but good news about drogba and ballack. i'd rather see drogba rested tonight if there's a risk he might not be fit against arsenal though.

Archived