Announcement to be made re Sparky at 19.00

South Beds Blue

It's official :

“A return of two wins in 11 Premier League games is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed and set. Sheikh Mansour and the Board felt that there was no evidence that the situation would fundamentally change. This is a particularly difficult announcement given the personal investment over the past 15 months on all sides and we would like to put on record our respect for and thanks to Mark Hughes and we wish him the best in his future career.â€

Manchester City Football Club can confirm the appointment, with immediate effect on a permanent contract, of Roberto Mancini and are also pleased to announce that Brian Kidd will join Roberto as assistant manager.

Feel sorry for Sparkey, I thought he would get them in the top 4 this year.

I'm actually suprised he lasted as long as he did! I said a while back that Hughes was not a "big enough" manager for the image Man City wanted to portray, and it was only a matter of time. I guess now we'll see how Mancini does in the premiership, because there were a few of us linking him to our position before Ancelloti arrived

Scott

I think you may be right Scott.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see Zola in any managerial form at the Bridge! Maybe Super Dan or Roberto D, but I just can't see Zola at the Bridge...unless he goes on to manage elsewhere in Europe and does phenomenal

I think you may be right Scott.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see Zola in any managerial form at the Bridge! Maybe Super Dan or Roberto D, but I just can't see Zola at the Bridge...unless he goes on to manage elsewhere in Europe and does phenomenal

I've always maintained Franco would make a good no. 2 - some sort of coaching role but could never see him as a manager. He's just too nicer bloke.

Love Wilkins as a bloke, but I wouldn't mind Franco coming in and being Ancelotti's no. 2 at some point.

As for Hughes - very sad if not unexpected. He's a hero after beating Arsenal and us in the space of a few days and now he's out a job. Show's what a joke football is nowadays.

This is a mistake on their part. Not sacking hughes, but certainly appointing Mancini, a guy whose pedigree is doubtful, and then handing him a 3 year contact. Its a page from the Roman Abramovich book of organizational management.

I really dont see Mancini doing much better, maybe getting them near fourth place, but ultimately, Villa and sadly Spuds are probably liable to finish higher than them this year.

A rumor on villa talk (now my favorite rival forum) says that Kolo Toure was asked to tell the players before the game that hughes would be sacked. Its probably wild, unfounded sky bullsh*t, but if so absolutely diabolical way to treat a manager

I'm sorry for Hitchy and Eddie, but I can't stand Hughes, so good riddance.

I can understand the owners getting rid of him, but Mancini has no experience of the prem and a doubtful pedegree so I'd be surprised if he can do any better than the dour one.

Mancini won't help them much this season.

He's got a better managerial record than Ancellotti.

As for Hughes it simply had to happen. Hughes and the rest of his Taffia was clueless. Toure and Lescott couldn't organise a dinner table, much less a defence...

To spend £200m and not replace your defensive linchpin is criminal.

Wouldn't surprise me if Mancini comes in and implements some proper tactics. Cos that's all they need.

As for Hughes it simply had to happen. Hughes and the rest of his Taffia was clueless. Toure and Lescott couldn't organise a dinner table, much less a defence...

Wouldn't surprise me if Mancini comes in and implements some proper tactics. Cos that's all they need.

Say what ?

Sorry, but Ancellotti may not have set the world alight domestically, but three European cup finals, compared to Inter's annual flameout in Europe, there is absolutely no comparison.

Mancini may yet do something with City, but as Mourinho allegedly told his players "You won one title because the courts gave it to you, another because nobody was there, and the third you barely won at all."

For Inter not to have won serie A the last four seasons wouldve required a monumental meltdown. The other "contenders" in that league are in total disarray

Sorry, but Ancellotti may not have set the world alight domestically, but three European cup finals, compared to Inter's annual flameout in Europe, there is absolutely no comparison.

Mancini may yet do something with City, but as Mourinho allegedly told his players "You won one title because the courts gave it to you, another because nobody was there, and the third you barely won at all."

For Inter not to have won serie A the last four seasons wouldve required a monumental meltdown. The other "contenders" in that league are in total disarray

If that was the case, why did Moaninho go there? What does he think he can change or improve?

And am I right in saying you think winning or getting through to the final of CL is a greater achievement than winning your league title?

The CL only gets real in the knock-out stages dude. If you can't qualify from the group stages you really shouldn't be playing in it in the first place.

So with that in mind you think winning a competition that only has four real games holds more weight than a 36-40 (depending on league) game competition?

No wonder Abram wants that big eared trophy so badly...

Err, what? Im not trying to trivialize a domestic title at all. But clearly Serie A is an exceptional case.

My opinion on the CL is as follows: Its a difficult competition and assuming its all on the level, an assumption that I have increasingly been forced to question, it is a very difficult competition to win. 3 two legged ties, and then a final against four of Europe's top teams its nothing to laugh at. And despite your opinion the group stages can be tricky. Just ask Rafa.

Look at what Mancini achieved while there. 2006 they were given the title on the merit of being the third best team in Italy. 2007 they walked it, with Juve relegated and gutted, and Milan given a huge deduction. In 2008 they barely won it. Every year, they went out of the Champions League early, despite building an impressive squad and hoovering up players like Zlatan and Vieira. I would argue that what Jose has done is not really that much more impressive, considering both main rivals in Italy are still kind of in disarray.

During those same seasons, Milan were very talented but moving ahead with zero fresh bodies in their squad. Not unlike what is happening to Chelsea at the moment. They made the CL final in 2005, and won it in 2007. If not for a dodgy goal by Barca they wouldve been there in 2006 too. Ancelotti probably mightve done more in those years when he did have a great team, but Juve were pretty damn good in those years. As to what degree the cheating helped either team, I obviously cant say

I would point to the tie in 2005 between the two, when Mancini and Ancelotti were both in place, Milan were still at the top of their game, and Inter were still considered a laughing stock. That was the infamous "Dida flare" tie, that ended 5-0. But before the match was called, the aggregate score was already 5-0 to Milan. At that point, Inter were still jokes, and Milan were the cream of Europe. Contrast that with the 4-0 thrashing in the derby this year, and you can see the shoe is definitely on the other foot. That confidence, of winning a first title, and seeing your rivals fall to pieces, was clearly what Inter needed.

Given the handicaps Milan faced during this time, mostly of the club's own making by their own arrogant, smug bar steward braintrust, and the advantages Inter were given, I dont at all find it surprising Inter dominated domestically. Im just saying that making a statement like "He won the league more than Ancelotti" doesnt really tell the whole story about Roberto Mancini. For me its just not proof that he is a brilliant manager, sorry.

As far as what Mourinho is doing there, well, I think he thought to himself "I have a team ready to trample everyone domestically, Juve and Milan are still miles behind, and all I have to do is make more of an impact in Europe." Knowing he would have a supportive owner like Moratti probably helps bigtime. Obviously, i hope he remains as unsuccessful as Mancini in Europe.

nice revisionism there- dunne was rubbish for most of last season. City's problem was replacing him with defenders who are just as erratic.

Archived