Boas

Ben

Guest Sindre

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/porto-boss-villas-boas-tipped-chelsea-bolter-ancelotti-job-1570901

Not much context, but posted it because I didn't realise until now, that he used to work with us. He was the one who squared up to Rijkard.

Just smashed Spartak Moscow 10-3(!) over two legs in EL. Very, very impressive against a strong russian team and his record in the league ain`t to bad eighter...

Reminds me of a more attacking-minded and more likeable Jose Mourinho to be honest. And only 33 years old...

The 33 year old Villas Boas is regarded by many as one of the most talented coaches in Europe. He worked as an assistant under Mourinho and speaks fluent English. He has expressed a desire to coach in the Premiership. He took over as coach of F.C. Porto in June 2010 and has excelled with the team and won the Portuguese League.

F.C.Porto League record 2010-11

Rank First

Games played 26

Wins 92%

Draws 8%

Losses Zero

Portuguese League Tables 2010-11 (Top Four Teams)

P GD Pts

F.C. Porto 26 +50 74

Benfica 26 +28 55

S. Braga 26 +13 43

S. Lisbon 26 +10 42

I read that he was an assistant under Mourinho here. Can anyone remember him?

Anyway.

Can't say I know much about him, but everytime I hear people who know more about football in other countries talk about him it's always praise. He seems to be a new Mourinho.

And at his age it would be interesting to see what he could do here. Since he was Mourinhos assistant he should know Chelsea pretty well. And him speaking good english is a plus.

Besides, if we want to get a manager who can stay for a long time Boas would be a great pick. He should have about 30+ years left. Maybe he can spend them here.

The 33 year old Villas Boas is regarded by many as one of the most talented coaches in Europe. He worked as an assistant under Mourinho and speaks fluent English. He has expressed a desire to coach in the Premiership. He took over as coach of F.C. Porto in June 2010 and has excelled with the team and won the Portuguese League.

F.C.Porto League record 2010-11

Rank First

Games played 26

Wins 92%

Draws 8%

Losses Zero

Portuguese League Tables 2010-11 (Top Four Teams)

P GD Pts

F.C. Porto 26 +50 74

Benfica 26 +28 55

S. Braga 26 +13 43

S. Lisbon 26 +10 42

If Anchelotti was to get the axe this is who I would like to see. Young enough to stabalise the club to manage for a long time unlike Guus who is older and Jose who is unlikely to want a rebuilding job .

He is Young enough to relate with the youth coming through the team and also young enough to want to prove himself and be driven for sucess. :5569:

So I am on Team Carlo, I think he needs more time here to build his squad.

If Carlo leaves though, I would be on board for a guy like this, instead of some Rikjaard or other random national team coach (besides Jose or Guus I guess...I'm so confused!)

I can just imagine frank and disuse taking orders from a manager younger than themselves!

Frank's younger than him(it's just a year, though). Villas-Boas has worked with Sir Bobby Robson and Mourinho and I reckon he's learned quite a bit from those two. I'm not sure what the requirements are for those different UEFA coaching licenses, but it looks like he started early by getting the C license when he was only 17 years. So it's not like he just started and I reckon he knows more much more about the game than many of the professional players do.

If Carlo is sacked, then Villas-Boas is definitely someone we should take a look at. Apparently he speaks "flawless English", and I think it can only be a bonus that he's already been at Chelsea when Mourinho was here.

Could be interesting. He definitely looked like the team played for him very well indeed in Europe.

I still think Carlo needs another year and see what he can do. Im not sure if this manager is to young yet? Maybe another 1-2 years then maybe but before this season, i hadnt really heard much of him.

Heard some rumours that he was meant to be going to Liverpool in the summer

I'm firmly behind Carlo and hope he stays, but I was reading an article about our link to this guy, and it's really interesting that Boas was actually part of the Coaching Staff HERE when we won the league two years running with Jose, and then he went to Inter with Jose too! So it's not as if this is just a link because the situation when we signed Jose (young manager, kicking ass with Porto), there's actually good reasoning behind the link. Surprised at how well journo's have looked into this one.

I think Roman is considering him because he's got all the qualities we'll need. It was his famous report with material of Newcastle who leaked out when Jose and Andre run the Bridge. The reason he started to work with Porto in such a young age was because they lived in the same bloc( house). Andre couldn't believe that Bobby didn''t let Domingos Pacienca( yes , the braga manager) play and wrote him a letter with the tactic Andre preferred. They later met on a cafe and Bobby asked about the file folders that Andre always was carriyng, and Andre showed him all the statistics of every single Porto player which gave him a job as a scout.

His grandmother is English, so he learned english in a young age. He was national coach for the Virgin Islands as a 21-years old. Every big club in Europe want him sooner or later, and everything depends on timing, so if we going to change manager, go for him.

for all intesive purposes in the PL already. It would be naive to think that Jose just employed a 27 year old water carrier and took him every where with him. Players at the club will have already taken instruction from him and it seems he has been in and around top football since he was in his early 20's.

I dont think you can labal a top manager with having a particular style of play, you can probably address there managment style but the best managers wiill make the best of what is availible to them and addapt untill such time they can mould there requirements in to a side

He's crap, he hasnt got a clue and he needs to go.

By crap i actually mean he's ok but not good enough.

My biggest concern with Carlo is that he didn't manage to win the scudetto with Milan more than once. I think that shows that he can't cope with make his players to perform week after week. I mean , if you don't win more titles with that team he had back then when will you?

he has got a brilliant record in portugal but the question is can he make chelsea play his style because manges a team in a diffrent country and they have diffrent style

Mourinho did well leaving Portugal and taking on Chelsea.

And Boas has been the assistant here so I'm sure he knows what to do.

My biggest concern with Carlo is that he didn't manage to win the scudetto with Milan more than once. I think that shows that he can't cope with make his players to perform week after week. I mean , if you don't win more titles with that team he had back then when will you?

. . . when you're not managing against Lippi or Capello's Juventus? Carlo had a lot of good squads, but I can't see any point in his time at Milan where they were the biggest team in Italy - that would be Juve up until the mess in summer 2006, then Inter. For someone managing the #2 team in their country, with the #1 team being run by someone on the level of Lippi/Capello/Jose, how many titles do you expect? You could probably ask for one more league win, but then again he managed three CL finals and two of them won, which is better than Juve and Inter put together during that time period.

Edited by Katon

yes - are you supprised or offended by the notion that have absaloutly no faith in the man long term, that i didnt want him to be our manager in the first place and while i respect what he achieved i think when faced with tactical dilemas he continuesly comes up short, somthing that can be pointed to in his milan day's where in 8 years he won 1 skadeto.

. . . when you're not managing against Lippi or Capello's Juventus? Carlo had a lot of good squads, but I can't see any point in his time at Milan where they were the biggest team in Italy - that would be Juve up until the mess in summer 2006, then Inter. For someone managing the #2 team in their country, with the #1 team being run by someone on the level of Lippi/Capello/Jose, how many titles do you expect? You could probably ask for one more league win, but then again he managed three CL finals and two of them won, which is better than Juve and Inter put together during that time period.

Week excuse, if the managers had swapped the jobs i bet the fortunes of the two teams would have swaped as well, Cappelo managed to win the league with Roma

Actually, before any one responds lets leave it as stands,

I dont rate carlo at all, and want some one else

many others do, we have done it to death, lets just enjoy the rest of the season and seee what happens in the off season.

This thread is about the merrits of Boas and we should keep it that way. Sorry for my part in the morphing of the thread