The English national team

Benches

TBH I was just idly thinking about this earlier today, the affinity and passion I have for Chelsea is 100 fold to whatever commitment or support I have or have ever had for England.

There was a time in my life where I thought that I would give my left nut to see England win a trophy and was gutted after Euro 96, Italia 90 penalties etc. but nowdays the more I think of it I see that my loyalty was misplaced, I couldnt give 2 hoots about the w**kers in the 3 Lions. I hope the Chelsea boys do theirselves proud but other than that, couldnt give a monkeys, too many Mancs, Scousers and Flids on the team in the 1st place anyway.

What is you take on this issue? Care/dont care?

Edited by ethicalstrategy
modified title so that it fits on the page!

Coming from a mixed marriage (one male - Scottish, one female - English), I found myself from a young age more drawn towards following Scotland rather than England and based this around the fact that my roots were Scottish. As the years went by I faced up to the fact the real reason I followed Scotland from a young age was because Charlie Cooke and Eddie McCreadie were playing fairly often (but not often enough) for them and no Chelsea players were breaking through the England ranks. My affection for Scotland hasn't dimmed but with regards to International football I will generally only show an interest where Chelsea players are involved. If England won a major trophy with Chelsea players involved I would be over the moon however if they won without them then I really wouldn't give a hoot.

Days long ago,going to night games at the old Wembley such as the British or European Championships were magical affairs.Walking through that long concrete tunnel,(and the river of p*ss at the end),wasn't so clever but once inside,when you clapped eyes on the most magnificent emerald green pitch in the world, you couldn't help but feel a tingle go down your spine.

We didn't boo England players in those days but we didn't have to,they put more pride & effort into games then.

The England team & Wembley have changed a lot since then but so has the whole country I guess.

But the thing is,this is still the best, most passionate,most supported football nation on earth,no other country has such a great following for such an average team or record of success.

We love football and as England fans wining a major tournament would give the whole country,irrespective of team loyalty,a massive boost.

Things have gone a little sour over the years but as an Englishman,I do care about our national side.

I`ve gone right off england now,could`nt give a toss....now that Chelsea players were being blamed for england going out last summer even though others were no better and Chelsea players getting booed every time...f**k em...f**k the england fans,f**k the media :mad0040:

Personally I have quite a large distaste for jingoism and as such I feel like I have no real connection to the national team whatsoever, especially when it's full of c**ts like Steven Gerrard and Gareth Barry.

Ashley Cole has been England's best player for years now and has only recently begun to get any credit, and Lampard and Terry are slagged off more than anybody. As Geezer said, if any national team was to win something while featuring a strong Chelsea presence I'd be very happy about it, but I would never support a national team for the sake of it.

How does it make you feel, the way Terry always gets booed? especially at away grounds.

Honestly, the more I think about it, would rather see Chelsea win another Community Shield then

England win the World Cup.

I think I'd rather find a fiver in my wallet that I'd forgotten was there than see England win the World Cup...

This is where I meant to post the following video:

Chelsea every time. No contest.

Got a shiver down my spine watching that. Although it might have had something to do with the fact I've got all the windows open. Still a good video, though :)

This is where I meant to post the following video:

That or England winning the World Cup?

Chelsea every time. No contest.

blue is the colour is the best official club anthem bar none, makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

It's quite an odd thing if you actually sit back and think about it - fans singing at sports matches. I wonder how and why it started, and also why on earth people seem to gauge the level of support a club has by how much its fans like to sing. hmm

It's quite an odd thing if you actually sit back and think about it - fans singing at sports matches. I wonder how and why it started, and also why on earth people seem to gauge the level of support a club has by how much its fans like to sing. hmm

It's not that strange when you think of it. For centuries men marched into battle with music to stir their courage. Scots bagpipe players marched forward into battle with no weapons except their pipes to scare the enemy and encourage their own soldiers. English soldiers marched to the fife and drum. Maoris did the haka to scare their enemies.

I expect football chants is just an extension of war chants.