So... When I'm Chelsea on Football Manager

tremberz90

So when I'm managing Chelsea on Football Manager and results aren't going my way I change things around. I don't play the same team, I'll drop players who are playing poorly and I'll change formation to a different philosophy/shape. I fully back AVB but I think he should defiently be changing things around. He shouldn't be starting Drogba because he's been poor all season (except a few games), and should be changing the formation. A 4-3-3 clearly doesn't work with our team anymore, we have the players that best suit a 4-2-3-1. Torres should be starting up front (he looked sharp at the start of the season before his suspension, and AVB never should have dropped him after it). Mata is best just behind the forward, we have Sturridge to play on the right and at the moment Malouda on the left (although I'd sell him and buy a decent winger). We have Meireles and Ramires who are both capable of defending as well as Romeu who can sit in front of the back four without problems.

Unfortunately I think Lampard and Drogba are past it, they look way to uninterested and are so ineffective in the majority of games. We should sell them both (or use Lampard as a backup) as well as getting rid of Malouda and Mikel too. Buy a young, decent winger, centre midfielder and a centre back. At the moment we are looking so average and a change in play is needed. I think we should stick with AVB as I believe he has the potential to get better, we need to be a more stable football club. But a change in play/tactics is certain and without it I can see us slippling even more.

What does everyone else think?

So when I'm Chelsea on Football Manager...we win a lot.

Perhaps I should apply to the soon to be vacant position?

you get good renumeration for failure, pressure? football managers really don't know the meaning of it. AVB no matter what will walk away a rich man be it with success or failure.

Really? Did you just start your topic with, "when I manage Chelsea on football manager?" There is a reason why you pretend with a video game and AVB does this professionally. people need to realize that AVB is not at fault here. He has an aging, declining squad and not much depth after those old players. He needs a better squad. If you compare squads, the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, and the Manchester teams just have better players. It's that simple. Ya we won the double with this squad, but it was two years ago! The squad has to change and people need to get off AVB.

I hope AVB watched Moneyball, maybe worth a punt to get the FM fans to nominate players signing. With all the scouting we had, we signed Da Santos, Kakuta etc and let the likes of Ozil, Erickson, Gomez slip away.

Of course AVB has to take some blames, you don't wreck a solid defensive system within 5 months without doing anything absurd. But there are other threads to debate about that.

Really? Did you just start your topic with, "when I manage Chelsea on football manager?" There is a reason why you pretend with a video game and AVB does this professionally. people need to realize that AVB is not at fault here. He has an aging, declining squad and not much depth after those old players. He needs a better squad. If you compare squads, the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, and the Manchester teams just have better players. It's that simple. Ya we won the double with this squad, but it was two years ago! The squad has to change and people need to get off AVB.

he has had all pre season to sort his squad out he decided that it was modric romelu and romeu that was all we needed its also the manager that plays the same players through thick and thin there are youth players there that havent got the experience that maybe could do a better job or atleast give us passion the buck always stops with the manager they decide what they need there was deffinitly money there this season

Someone already beat you to it...

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=sow-325075

(read it, trust me is great)

Wow that's funny. What I meant by this thread was that when things don't go your way you should change tactics. It's like AVB has just stuck to the same squad/ formation. I fully back AVB and it's not all his fault but I do think he needs to change it around

When i used to play championship manager, and we were losing, sometimes i would turn of the computer and restart the game....maybe we could try that?

or

When i used to play championship manager, sometimes i would play as a second manager of another team (usually man utd) and have that team buy all of chelseas rubbish players for about 50 million....that way i could bankcrupt Man U, get loads of money and sell my crappy players....maybe we could try that?

or

When i used to play championship manager, and we were losing, sometimes i would join another manager of a rival team one week before i played them, then when the game come i would play all there players in the wrong position and won the game convincingly....maybe we could try that?

Why stop there? when i used to play grand theft auto, i used to car jack people, shoot my enemies and then hide in a garage until the police lost me....maybe we could try that?

It's like AVB has just stuck to the same squad/formation

You're right about the formation (and the 4-3-3 has been a Chelsea mainstay for about seven or eight years), but I'm not too sure about the personnel issue. Earlier on in the season AVB was receiving a lot of plaudits for installing a rotation policy.

This was our lineup on the first game of the season vs Stoke:

---------------------Cech

Bosingwa-----Alex-----Terry-----Cole

---------------------Mikel

-----------Ramires-----Lampard

-------Kalou------Torres-----Malouda

And this is the lineup from the Villa game and our de facto starting eleven (minus Ivanovic) with the differences highlighted:

----------------------Cech

Ferreira-------Luiz-----Terry-----Cole

---------------------Romeu

-------------Ramires-----Meireles

----Sturridge----Drogba------Mata

Edit: Sorry, forgot Paulo started.

Edited by PloKoon13

You're right about the formation (and the 4-3-3 has been a Chelsea mainstay for about seven or eight years), but I'm not too sure about the personnel issue. Earlier on in the season AVB was receiving a lot of plaudits for installing a rotation policy.

This was our lineup on the first game of the season vs Stoke:

---------------------Cech

Bosingwa-----Alex-----Terry-----Cole

---------------------Mikel

-----------Ramires-----Lampard

-------Kalou------Torres-----Malouda

And this is the lineup from the Villa game and our de facto starting eleven (minus Ivanovic) with the differences highlighted:

----------------------Cech

Ferreira-------Luiz-----Terry-----Cole

---------------------Romeu

-------------Ramires-----Meireles

----Sturridge----Drogba------Mata

Edit: Sorry, forgot Paulo started.

I'd agree with that, but we haven't stuck to the same formation this season. AVB moved us to a 4-diamond-2 near the end of the game. It didn't work but it's a change in tactics at least. He's tried a 4-2-3-1 a couple of times as well I seem to recall (can't recall who against, but I remember it being tried for periods in games).

He's tried a few things, but I do agree that he could do with trying a few more and yeah I think the 4-2-3-1 is something worth trying again, mainly because of the players we have in our squad suiting it more. I'd be all for giving Kalou/Malouda a run on the left with Mata inside.

I think half of you are missing the point. Yes Football Manager is a game but the point I was trying to make was that if things don't work change it around. Play different tactics, philosophy, etc. I know there isn't much depth and quality in the squad but we should be doing better.

I think half of you are missing the point. Yes Football Manager is a game but the point I was trying to make was that if things don't work change it around. Play different tactics, philosophy, etc. I know there isn't much depth and quality in the squad but we should be doing better.

I agree that we should be doing better. 100% true.

Not much depth in quality....mmm...i would question that!

Cech, Cole, Terry, Alex, Luiz, Bossy, Ivan, Mikel, Raul M, Rambo, Lamps, Danny, Nando, Didz, Kalouless, Flo Mo, Bison, Mata, Lukaku = 19 full international players.

+ up and coming talent like bertrand, Josh, mitrovic, piazon, clifford, Romeu, PVA, Courtois etc

+ seasoned pros such as Paulo and Hilarious

All in all we do have a lot of strength, depth and experience. These players are not cutting the mustard at the moment. The manager is also performing as well as he can and there have been multiple individual and team errors which has led us to dropping points. But surely we cant say we dont have depth.

AVB isnt the problem, its the players, the sooner EVERYONE realises that the better

Well then, if that's the case then blame goes to AVB for failing to replace them and/or continuing to pick them. Look, i agree the players are not being consistent and appear of the pace....but AVB needs to accept some of the blame.

Anyway, not sure why we are debating this on here....this is a topic about Football manager right? Shame on you Bluenose for making this thread a bit relevant! :)

Edited by nonotnowjim