Beware Roman around

Ballack & Blu

ESPNSoccernet of all sources reminded me that Roman's "clear the air talks" in Feb 2010 were a big part of our success that season.

Some reports even suggest that Roman was there to tell the players to shape up or ship out, in which case he needs to finish his court case and take up the assistant manager role ASAP. Roman certainly seems to have more patience and football knowledge than some of the "supporters" recently crawling out of the woodwork!

Around this time last season I heard a football writer for one the papers speaking on television. He said that as far as the players were concerned, Carlo Ancelotti was a dead man walking.

Clearly, Ancelotti had his legs chopped out from under him by Abramovich, starting with the dismissal of Ray Wilkins.

So I only have one question about Roman's recent activity at Cobham. Is he undermining AVB or is he giving him a show of support? If he's underming him, then it's over for this season. But if he's somehow showing players that he trusts AVB, then it's a good thing. It doesn't really matter what you think of AVB. There's no possibility of success if the players believe the manager has lost the owner.

100% agree wxwax. If Roman is just hovering and the players are interpreting that as AVB's last chance, they'll see him as a lame duck. But if Roman is putting his foot down and telling them that AVB is staying and it's the players' job security that's up for debate, maybe they'll shape up.

ESPNSoccernet of all sources reminded me that Roman's "clear the air talks" in Feb 2010 were a big part of our success that season.

Some reports even suggest that Roman was there to tell the players to shape up or ship out, in which case he needs to finish his court case and take up the assistant manager role ASAP. Roman certainly seems to have more patience and football knowledge than some of the "supporters" recently crawling out of the woodwork!

...which is obvious to all as he sacked a world class manager and brought in a donkey. Spent 50m on a crocked player... And committed a number of other mistakes. Very nice use of the quotes too, I give you a 3/10 overall.

Chels2, I've actually thought you've added some insight on here, but you must understand that in my time here, and SC has been here a lot longer, there is a pattern whereby the forum doubles in size when the manager is under pressure, dozens of people come on and call 'insert manager' a c**t, say he's useless, I could do a better job, I already do on FM etc. etc. etc. then after the sacking, they disappear and are never heard of again. Until the process repeats itself 2 years later.

It get's a little tired after a while, and you can understand the reaction to such individuals who are never here when we win or play well but are very vigorous in their posting when things go bad.

Don't take it personally, and try and look on the bright side every now and then, and you'll get a lot less sass.

That wasn't really the point I was making, I was addressing your concerns about SC's attitude towards you. Roman is a separate issue and I don't think there is any doubt he has made mistakes.

That said, I made mention at the start of last week that this is a guy who owns one of the best football teams in the world and would have discussed the game with some of it's best minds. I've no doubt he understands it better than I do, and better than anyone on this forum does.

I would also question the assertion that Ancelotti was sacked for finishing second, a phrase much beloved by tabloid journalists. I feel it would be more accurate to state that Ancelotti was sacked despite finishing second,.

Sacked for finishing second implies that failure to win the Premier League was the sole reason for Ancelotti's dismissal, which is a gross simplification of the situation, failing to take into account such factors as the prolonged "bad moment". Whether Abramovich was correct in sacking Ancelotti is another question, as is that of the wisdom of appointing AVB.

The problem with interpreting Abramovich's intentions, for fans and media alike, is the dearth of material available. The distinct scarcity of direct quotes gives endless scope for speculation. It could simply be that his apparent renewal of interest coincides with a respite from legal proceedings, It could also indicate concern over the recent run of results. Either way is largely guesswork.

The UEFA fair play rules will cramp Roman's style and, given that he no longer needs a bolt hole in London, he may well lose interest in PL football.

Please shut up.

As nobody outside his family, friends and business associates seem to know anything about Roman (and some of them possibly know little) it seems pointless to speculate about his intentions or motives.

We can just hope that his recent visits to the training ground are a sign of his continued and hopefully revitalised enthusiasm in our (his) football club.

Incidentally, I am with those who reckon that after years of involvement with a proffesional football club and scores of top players managers and coaches that he must know a fair bit about the game. And while the large amount spent on Torres looks a mistake it would be fair to say that quite a few people might also have taken that gamble. Just imagine if it had come off! And to this day and probably to the end of time we will not know exactly who decided to buy him for that fee and who agreed with the decision. Same as we'll probably never know what went on with Ray Wilkins.

Long Live Roman!

@ Sender: You make a very valid point about Torres... While I think most of us thought a lot less money could've been spent better (Aguero for instance) we were all drooling over the possible partnership with Drogba... It didn't work out for whatever reason... Let's move on! Perhaps Torres in the wing is better suited for Chelsea, perhaps his exit would be... Point is he is here now and let's try and get the best out of him...h

Edited by DoubleHelix74

We all enjoyed the ride, but I fear it's over, as it will be for City in a season or two. Has Roman got the patience to create a Barca style academy?

What, you mean like tha academy he spent 3 or 4 years and a sh*t load of money building? Yeah, I wonder.

We all enjoyed the ride, but I fear it's over, as it will be for City in a season or two. Has Roman got the patience to create a Barca style academy?

So how many years does he have to stay and how much if his own personal fortune does he have to spend before people realise he actually quite enjoys owning us, and the money is not an issue to him and he's young enough to keep going with it for as long as he wants

If he was to get bored and p*ss off don't you think he would of by now?

It annoys me when neutrals and media say hell get bored and move on to something else, but one of our own fans really disappoints me