The midfield

plamf

A huge worry

Was seriously lacking last season. Now, we are playing a very attacking formation and look quality in the final third.

But to play a 4-2-3-1 you need two very strong central midfielders. Tonight we have Mikel (never been anything more than a mediocre holding player) and Lampard (34 years old and since 09/10 hasn't been anything like the player he was).

I can see this tactic definitely getting us in the top 3 or 4 in the EPL, but in Europe we might get some goings over.

I can't get my head round the Victor Moses signing. We already spent our entire budget on pretty much the same position, then went and spent more on backup.

We have a crazy amount of quality creative attacking midfielder types, yet we have pretty mediocre central midfielders. Worrying indeed as it's the most crucial area of the park.

IMO, we should have made a 'landmark' signing in the central area and we probably could have done with two of them. It's annoying that the creative attacking areas are finally sorted yet there's such a glaring, crucial omission.

It's unfortunate that Essien is finished because a box to box world class player is exactly what we need

This midfield keeps losing us points on the league. Darn it!

Wigan and Reading will probably get relegated this season.

Newcastle had plenty chances to get a point out of that game.

It's no surprise to me to see Atletico ripping us apart

Wigan aren't getting relegated. There are far worse teams in the Premiership.

What is there about the Moses signing that's difficult to understand? He's young, he's got bags of talent, he's homegrown, he provides depth on the right and he wasn't expensive.

It's clear to me that Meireles and Mikel need to be given a chance to get a run of games together in the middle with Oscar getting time there as well. Lampard cannot play every game any more and this won't be the last time we get overrun in the middle of the pitch if he does. Mikel has been fine so far this season and he was fine again today. Definitely more than a "mediocre holding player". That's bollocks.

What is there about the Moses signing that's difficult to understand? He's young, he's got bags of talent, he's homegrown, he provides depth on the right and he wasn't expensive.

It's clear to me that Meireles and Mikel need to be given a chance to get a run of games together in the middle with Oscar getting time there as well. Lampard cannot play every game any more and this won't be the last time we get overrun in the middle of the pitch if he does. Mikel has been fine so far this season and he was fine again today. Definitely more than a "mediocre holding player". That's bollocks.

I have no doubt Wigan will be in a relegation battle. The only teams that are arguably as weak as them are Southampton, Norwich, Reading, Villa & West Ham. West Ham's new signings should keep them up. Reading will spend money in January if they have to and Southampton have made some very good signings this summer

Sorry but i don't think that's bollocks , Mikel is supposed to play the DM role but he get's to involved in the attacks and ends up leaving the defense exposed , same with Lamps . These 2 are not holding midfielders and we really should have gone and got one , it will cost us more as the season goes on.

I have no doubt Wigan will be in a relegation battle. The only teams that are arguably as weak as them are Southampton, Norwich, Reading, Villa & West Ham. West Ham's no signings should keep them up. Reading will spend money in January if they have to and Southampton have made some very good signings this summer

People say this every year and yet they're still here. Norwich and Villa both look completely hopeless. There are enough bad teams fighting for that 3rd spot that I think Wigan are fairly safe. Arouna Kone was a great signing, the kid Miyaichi they got on loan has a lot of skill and you can't underestimate the importance of having a very good manager in Martinez, something the other sides in danger of relegation can't claim.

Our midfield might be creative but it's very lightweight and that just might be a concern going forward. The only way around this is to move the ball quicker through the midfield or risk getting brushed aside off the ball as we did tonight and tbh Mata hasn't impressed me this season so far...

People say this every year and yet they're still here. Norwich and Villa both look completely hopeless. There are enough bad teams fighting for that 3rd spot that I think Wigan are fairly safe. Arouna Kone was a great signing, the kid Miyaichi they got on loan has a lot of skill and you can't underestimate the importance of having a very good manager in Martinez, something the other sides in danger of relegation can't claim.

I never said they would be relegated, I said they would be in a relegation battle like they have for their previous 3 seasons. I think Paul Lambert may turn it around at Villa. The squad is nowhere near the level it was a couple of years ago but in Darren Bent they have a player that will get them goals.

Our midfield might be creative but it's very lightweight and that just might be a concern going forward. The only way around this is to move the ball quicker through the midfield or risk getting brushed aside off the ball as we did tonight and tbh Mata hasn't impressed me this season so far...

Apart from today Mata's link up play with Torres and Hazard has been excellent.

Try rereading my original post. Everything in it refutes all of your points.

If we're relying on Mikel and Meireles in the middle of the park we're in serious trouble. As for Mikel being fine tonight, I strongly disagree.

If we're relying on Mikel and Meireles in the middle of the park we're in serious trouble. As for Mikel being fine tonight, I strongly disagree.

Why do you disagree? His passing was excellent. His also made a number of solid runs forward. The problem is that Lampard is completely incapable of covering for him against a pacy team like Atletico. The double pivot does not work if one of the midfielders cannot effectively cover for the other when he goes forward. That's not Mikel's fault.

Why do you disagree? His passing was excellent. His also made a number of solid runs forward. The problem is that Lampard is completely incapable of covering for him against a pacy team like Atletico. The double pivot does not work if one of the midfielders cannot effectively cover for the other when he goes forward. That's not Mikel's fault.

He's the holding player in a 2 man midfield and has never contributed anything going forward.

He's the holding player in a 2 man midfield and has never contributed anything going forward.

That's actually not true though is it.

I actually remember a strong run down the left tonight as well as some decent link up play around the box. Did Lampard do any more than that tonight?

Seriously. What do you see in Mikel that will win us the league??? Cause I feel lucky when he makes no mistakes and just does a job.

City have got rid of De Jong who is 10x the DM Mikel will ever be.

Lets hope they didnt replace him.

Archived