When Will They Spare A Thought For John Obi Mikel ?

Dorset

I have waited. And waited….and waited. Yet still there is no sign of any. Not the slightest sign. Zlich, in fact. This is, of course, my cryptic way of highlighting the sad truth that sympathy and support for our holding midfielder over the Clattenburg/Mikel incident, outside of SW6 that is, has been overtly conspicuous by its absence and nothing short of a disgrace. Indeed, the ‘bodies’ responsible for providing assistance in such circumstances appear to be well and truly buried under either a thin tilth layer of newly-found respect for the due process or left cowering beneath shovel-loads of Media backing for a referee already declared to be as innocent as the bonny newborn Geordie bairn he once was.

No surprise, then,, that my finger of suspicion in this instance points accusingly at those who were only too keen to rush to Anton Ferdinand’s aid in a similar situation - the Kick It Out campaigners, championed by Lord Ousley, Jason Roberts, Stan Collymore, Garth Crooks and many other likeminded individuals with, they will tell you, first hand experience of what John is going through at the moment. Gordon Taylor too, should he find the time to come out from behind that PFA sofa and tackle the issue on behalf of one of his players, albeit that he may not quite fit the full [black English footballer] picture of a player in need of help. Nor should the FA, fresh from one dismantlement of the British legal system, feel the need to quit [on the issue of racial abuse] whilst they’re winning on the prejudgment and probabilities front - get out there, David Bernstein, and express your concern for the Nigerian’s wellbeing at the very least!

Yet none of them have raised their heads above the parapet of Clattenburg’s buttered-up buttresses, allowing the sheer venom of the Media, directed at the potential victim and his club, to go on unabated. Let’s all forget how impossible it would have been for Chelsea to have undertaken the complaint more properly than they have - public statements to a minimum, preparatory work towards an FA investigation done in accordance with protocol, an external body instructed to go over claims and evidence to ensure they were right in pursuing the complaint in the first place - let’s just keep our own counsel and heads down and hope public opinion condemns the foreigner, for daring to accuse an official, long before we have to commit either way on the matter.

Throughout last week, time was also of the essence for these ‘supportive bodies’ in so far as the passing of it enabled Sky and other assorted news outlets to place their pertinent questions, like Halloween trick or treats, at the various press conferences before the weekend games. Robbie, adept as ever under this spotlight, avoided his ‘tricks’ with an impressive deftness that grows by the session, whereas it was comical to see Ferguson and Wenger devour their ‘treats’ with such relish they resembled the slavering that went on at the end of each round of the Great British Bake Off. With both choosing a different angle to sink teeth in from, Ferguson opted for the undoubted innocence [of Clattenburg], choosing to gnaw away at his bare-boned facts before extracting every ounce of incredulity from no meat and precious little gravity.

Wenger, on the other hand, decided to come late to this particular party, preferring to nibble rabbit-like at the rather limp lettuce leaf possibility of resolving this type of issue after much thought and deliberation, instead of lining the pockets of greedy lawyers. My first thought was pity he wasn’t invited to JT’s little ‘do’ last year, or perhaps he was, but professed to having a small appetite when it came to propounding his ’kiss and make up’ theory, knowing full well the hacks would not have reported him with such vigour on that occasion. Be that as it may, both undoubtedly provided comedy gold with their blatant attempts to curry favour with officialdom, even though only one of them was safe in the knowledge that another opposition player would, like as not, be sent off and three points safely secured come Saturday lunchtime.

But hey ho, such is life in the Premiership this season for the Chels fan, all controversy and contradiction, the only constant being Fergie’s satisfaction guaranteed, embodied in a title race destined to be close, but with no cigar for anyone else except him at the end of it. This self-assurance will always be there when you have a Premiership history that boasts a golden period of Mike Riley refereed games and embellished by continued influence through his controlling interest, as hand-picker-in-chief of officials, ever since he stopped running around unlevelled playing fields himself. Bathed in this light, what chance have we got of neutrality from this quarter, or from an FA that looks set to pour scorn on its own rule E 14, which basically says a participant, meaning club, shall immediately report to the association any incident or matter which may be considered to be misconduct, by hinting, as David Bernstein did on Sunday morning, that the club have probably acted too hastily.

Probably, now there is a word to conjure with, much like ‘misconduct’ really, which is a defined term under the FA regulations and includes such alleged racial behaviour as we have in this incident Probably best not to mention the Equality Act 2010 either, which Chelsea also had to consider, because it imposes an obligation on an employer to act if an employee believes he or she has been subjected to discrimination by third party. I’d judged Clattenburg to be a third party here, amongst other things when you take into account his latest, woefully one-sided, performance.

Still, what should we really expect from those in authority and in the Media where Chelsea’s concerned at the moment, especially in the light of everything we know about United’s power and influence in high places. The Premiership has been Fergie’s fiefdom for two decades now and throughout it he and his players have been systematically bullying, intimidating and brow-beating referees, using every trick possible to undermine the man in the middle, so for him to suddenly come out with his unwavering and unsubstantiated support for Clattenburg… well, I ask you, it has to be the very height of hypocrisy, doesn’t it? A self-serving footballing man turns his support on and off to suit himself, rather than the individuals concerned, and a whole host of [so called] ‘footballing bodies’ do the selfsame thing when it comes to backing a Mikel as opposed to a Ferdinand - even ‘shameless’ isn‘t a strong enough word to describe this type of selectivity.

I notice that Utd fans also unfurled a banner in support of Clattenburg yet took the moral high ground in proclaiming where's your racist centre half along with Swansea fans booing Mikel and also proclaiming the same statement - perhaps Rio Ferdinand has a comment on this or perhaps he also suffers from a rare form of myopia...?

Wilkins commented on this based on the news. He said Ramires' english is so elementary that he doesn't know what he could have heard or understood. It was reported Luiz and Ramires heard the whole thing. My gut says the young boys heard something and made it another to support Terry. I love the fact they support JT but they might end up looking silly. Hope I'm wrong though...

The simple fact is they don't believe our accusation!

If its proven they will come out in droves and condemn it

But I can't see it proven in a court of law based on the fact that none of the assistants heard it and on what Wilkins said at the weekend. So suspect it will have to be based on that balance of probabilities guess-work and if so not a chance in hells will Clattenburg be found guilty by the FA...

Wilkins commented on this based on the news. He said Ramires' english is so elementary that he doesn't know what he could have heard or understood. It was reported Luiz and Ramires heard the whole thing. My gut says the young boys heard something and made it another to support Terry. I love the fact they support JT but they might end up looking silly. Hope I'm wrong though...

The problem with this is it assumes everything reported by the gutter media is correct. We still don't know any of these details. The Independent suggested that Mikel actually heard the remarks directly rather than through Ramires/Luiz as reported earlier. Until the full details emerge it is all speculation.I am hoping that the after reviewing the details with our legal representatives, we wouldn't have pursued this if it was full of holes. But we shall see.

It has been reported that none of the other official heard anything, which is a totally different from them saying, he never said anything, Could he have had his hand covering mike? Hopefully the police will get to the truth, because I seem not to have much belief in the FA from uncovering the truth, can not think why.

I guess due to the gravity of our complaint,many feel it's better to sit on the safe side of the fence.

However,Sir Alex is well out of order with his bullsh*t,pig headed comments though & needs to tread carefully.

This is too serious an issue,with our reputation at stake, for him to practise 'mind games' on who he see's as a title rival.

As we have seen lately,reputations can soon be torn to shreds & if he would like to be rememberd (quite rightfully) for all his on the pitch achievments,he needs to keep the off the pitch horsesh*t in check.