Recent team selection - Oscar

ChelseaVeteran
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sure enough we look far more balanced between attack and defense, and our build up play seems to be quicker and more direct. At the same time I cant help but feel disappointed that Oscar is seeing less minutes on the field under Benitez. For me he should be a sure starter in every game. Intelligent, versatile player who can hustle off the ball and make things happen offensively, who boasts an 87 percent pass completion rate with us so far. Have we already forgotten his sublime European efforts, embarrassing the multi- talented Pirlo before firing a fine strike vs Juve, or his hard work to nullify Arteta and Carzola in helping us overcome Arsenal. I really thought he was starting to shine, now he plays the last 10 minutes of a game despite how much drive and hard work he displays once subbed on. Many would argue he was sacrificed to make our midfield more resilient as it was 'lightweight'. In my opinion Oscar offers more steel off the ball than Hazard, Mata and Moses combined. It seemed the Brazil no 10 was appreciated by RDM in every respect, do you feel he is being overlooked by Benitez, or is Rafa right to leave him out ?

The recent team selection seems to be working results wise so I can't really have any gripes.

I like Oscar and there is no doubt he is a real talent but he did have some games where he struggled and didn't contribute a great deal so it's up to him to knuckle down and win his place back. Can see him getting plenty of game time as the season goes on and other players tire.

Oscar definitely shouldn't start every game. He's at his best by far in the center of the pitch, which means that Hazard and Mata are going to be out wide. They both tend to drift into the middle of the pitch, which creates congestion and puts too much pressure on the fullbacks to create width. There are games when we need Moses to rectify that and if you're going to drop one of the three amigos, Oscar is generally going to be the best choice. I have a lot of issues with the FSW's tactics, but I can't complain much about his team selection. 

Benitez just seems to think that Oscar/Mata and Hazard are too similar in the attacking mid roles all at once. It makes a lot of sense and whilst he is getting less game time he is still so young that to be used as more of a rotational player it isn't a huge issue. He has also been played a bit in a deeper role which is a position that suits him a lot

Benitez just seems to think that Oscar/Mata and Hazard are too similar in the attacking mid roles all at once. It makes a lot of sense and whilst he is getting less game time he is still so young that to be used as more of a rotational player it isn't a huge issue. He has also been played a bit in a deeper role which is a position that suits him a lot

They are fairly similar players offensively, true, but Oscar does possess an important quality that the others don't - he's far and away the best of the three defensively. Given that our schedule has been so soft lately, that quality hasn't been needed. When we play tougher opponents, I'd expect to see Oscar come back into the team. 

We need Mata playing in the middle, and Oscar has been quite ineffective out wide, which would mean putting him in a deeper position unless Mata is being rested.

This may work against some teams, but against others we may need more defensive minded players.

We need Mata playing in the middle, and Oscar has been quite ineffective out wide, which would mean putting him in a deeper position unless Mata is being rested.

This may work against some teams, but against others we may need more defensive minded players.

I'd like to see Oscar playing alongside Luiz in deep midfield against QPR today since we will expect to have the lion's share of possession.

Also, I agree with Brandinho about Benitez's team selections. Wrong tactics, wrong substitutions, but the team selections have been right, on the whole.

FSW is always wrong , like almost always

But usually and traditionally over the years , brazillians have this knack of slacking over in winter because of the extreme climate changes , that could be a reason

Luiz and Ramires showed no signs of this because of their portugal experience , perhaps this could be playing a factor ?

it's his first season in english football so inevitable that he suffered a dip...also get the impression that club don't want hazard (who probably needs a rest more than anyone) dropped that much given that he's the 'big' signing and it's easier to leave out oscar instead...while chelsea are winning it's not really much of an issue and Oscar knows he will be a big part of the club's future

I would like Oscar to start more and for us to revert to the Hazard /Oscar/ Mata triumvirate. The issue is that Hazard and Mata to an extent are poor at tracking back, and for me it is unfair to drop Oscar due to their lack of defensive work.

Oscar is the Brazilian national teams number 10. Yet at present he cant get a game under Rafa. Unlike others, i do have issue's with Rafa's team selections....He has failed to rotate Hazard despite him being fairly ineffective, failed to give Marin or Berty any decent game time and not used Rambo or Oscar effectively.

The plus points are that Azpi and moses have really pushed on since his arrival, and lamps is back in the team (although this is following injury, so no credit to benitez their). I am not such a fan of Luiz in midfield, and feel that he is not discaplined enough for a DM role, and couldnt be risked playing with Rambo or Oscar int he middle two. Basically i feel that his presence in midfield is not sufficiently beneficial  to the team for the subsequentl lack of a starting place for an established midfielder.

Oscar is the Brazilian national teams number 10. Yet at present he cant get a game under Rafa. Unlike others, i do have issue's with Rafa's team selections....He has failed to rotate Hazard despite him being fairly ineffective, failed to give Marin or Berty any decent game time and not used Rambo or Oscar effectively.

Pretty sure Oscar has started 6 out of 12 games under Benitez so far, and the games that he hasn't started he usually comes off the bench. I would say this is a smart amount to use him and considering how much we have been wiinning recenty its not like its costing us points

But usually and traditionally over the years , brazillians have this knack of slacking over in winter because of the extreme climate changes , that could be a reason

Luiz and Ramires showed no signs of this because of their portugal experience , perhaps this could be playing a factor ?

Brazil is 4000 km from North to South. Its rainforest around Manaus. At Porto Alegre, where Oscar played for Internacional, temperatures drop to 0ºC in the winter. Plus plenty of fog. You even get the occasional snowfall in cities above 500m height. 

Caxias do Sul, north of Porto Alegre.

caxias-do-sul.jpg

Its not Moscow, not London either, but its also not a tropical paradise that makes players get scared of London´s winter. However, there is certainly less sunlight hours in London than in Porto Alegre in the winter.

Edited by AcesHigh