Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

downthefront

Why Rangers ?

I know all about the couple of friendlies where the fans got on. Also have mates and went up to Glasgow for pre season and had a great time. But a whole topic on our website, a Chelsea forum devoted to a Scottish club ? ....come on, do they have a Chelsea page on the Rangers site ?

A thread in 'Football (Other Teams)' would be more appropriate. A forum full of threads about a club that has no relevance to Chelsea that generate barely any replies doesn't exactly serve the website.

Not going to get into the ins and outs but thats not really an accurate statement. Might be an idea to read those other thread links posted, should give you some idea as to why a section of the Chelsea support are very close to Rangers.

It is entirely accurate, Rangers have as much relevance to Chelsea Football Club as Inverness Caledonian Thistle do, i.e. none.

Why don't we start a forum dedicated to Linfield, a tinpot club supposedly entwined with Chelsea and at the heart of everything we do? It's all vile nonsense.

It is entirely accurate, Rangers have as much relevance to Chelsea Football Club as Inverness Caledonian Thistle do, i.e. none.

Why don't we start a forum dedicated to Linfield, a tinpot club supposedly entwined with Chelsea and at the heart of everything we do? It's all vile nonsense.

I said there is a link between some of the supporters, not the actual clubs. A difference.

The fact that you say its vile i assume suggests you are referencing potential political links. Thats fine (and undeniable) but also a little offensive to someone such as myself who does not care one iota about these links. Myself and many other Chelsea fans who 'follow' Rangers do so because we were bnought up in an era when most other Chelsea fans you knew had Rangers as their second team, at least thats how it was for me as a kid at school in South London -  I think as time has moved on now this isnt the case, but back in the 80s it certainly was very prominent.

So, like i said the orginal link between the two sets of fans may well have right wing political leanings. But the first link Tallchris posted may well be worth a read for you, as it goes into much more details. But as a kid at junior school i wouldnt know (or care) about politics, and niether did all my fellow supporting friend (i still dont!). I would suggest this goes for the majority of young Chelsea fans back then. You supported Chelsea and Rangers were your second team, i grew up with it like that. I honestly couldnt give a toss about any right wing sh*te and get a little insulted when people suggest that its all politucal or as you say 'vile'. I have no desire to be lumped in with that.

I understand newer fans or fans who didnt grow up in London questioningly the link (again,between the fans, not the clubs) but i can assure you its valid and if there is any football team who deserves its own section on a Chelsea forum its without question, Rangers. If you dont like it thats fine, i would advise ignoring it.

I know the links bjd it gets rammed down my throat by Celtic fans saying I must be a rangers fan which I laugh at but they actually want a fight with me. Dickheads. What I don't understand is for me a chelsea get bet my weekend suffers what's the situation with you as you follow chelsea and rangers if one wins and one gets bet how do you feel. That's the bit I don't get.

For what its worth Linfield have the most bigoted and disgusting fans in the Irish league. Its a shame some wish to link Chelsea with them in a faux loyalist 'brotherhood'.

I know the links bjd it gets rammed down my throat by Celtic fans saying I must be a rangers fan which I laugh at but they actually want a fight with me. Dickheads. What I don't understand is for me a chelsea get bet my weekend suffers what's the situation with you as you follow chelsea and rangers if one wins and one gets bet how do you feel. That's the bit I don't get.

I look out for Rangers, im not an active supporter. Thats how its always been. Ive been to Ibrox twice, once for the friendly in 07, the other time for a SPL game in 2011, against Hibs. Both times ive been staggered with the passion up there, but it still doesnt come close to my passion for Chelsea. Ill watch them on tv and be happy for them when they win but it doesnt dictate my life in any way shape or form.

Chelsea are my football team, if they lose im gutted and, like you my day suffers. If Rangers lose it doesnt mean a whole lot to me, i just want them to win, like you always do a second team. Cant really be more blunt than that.

That's fair enough bjd and for the record I have had many run ins with rangers fans down through the years following chelsea mainly the lads from northern Ireland and I've also made a few friends really doesn't bother me. Just couldn't give a sh*t about any other team. I was with a few rangers in the jolly malsters the night we played Celtic that was a mad night.

That's fair enough bjd and for the record I have had many run ins with rangers fans down through the years following chelsea mainly the lads from northern Ireland and I've also made a few friends really doesn't bother me. Just couldn't give a sh*t about any other team. I was with a few rangers in the jolly malsters the night we played Celtic that was a mad night.

Thats cool.

We get threads like this every now and then, as you can see from the links. They follow a similar pattern.

Someone asks whats all this about a CFC/RFC link and then it often goes into a 'there is no link its just secretarian nonsense'. I like to try and put it straight as thats clearly not the full case, and a little unfair, perhaps even a little uneducated,  as theres more to it than that and i dont like myself and others being tarred with a certain brush.

I fully understand why some fans would query the link though, it must seem bizarre. Its a mix of a few things, but for me and i suspect the majority of others it was just from being a product of being born in a certain time and place and doing what you could to fit in with other Chelsea fans.

I said there is a link between some of the supporters, not the actual clubs. A difference.

The fact that you say its vile i assume suggests you are referencing potential political links. Thats fine (and undeniable) but also a little offensive to someone such as myself who does not care one iota about these links. Myself and many other Chelsea fans who 'follow' Rangers do so because we were bnought up in an era when most other Chelsea fans you knew had Rangers as their second team, at least thats how it was for me as a kid at school in South London -  I think as time has moved on now this isnt the case, but back in the 80s it certainly was very prominent.

So, like i said the orginal link between the two sets of fans may well have right wing political leanings. But the first link Tallchris posted may well be worth a read for you, as it goes into much more details. But as a kid at junior school i wouldnt know (or care) about politics, and niether did all my fellow supporting friend (i still dont!). I would suggest this goes for the majority of young Chelsea fans back then. You supported Chelsea and Rangers were your second team, i grew up with it like that. I honestly couldnt give a toss about any right wing sh*te and get a little insulted when people suggest that its all politucal or as you say 'vile'. I have no desire to be lumped in with that.

I understand newer fans or fans who didnt grow up in London questioningly the link (again,between the fans, not the clubs) but i can assure you its valid and if there is any football team who deserves its own section on a Chelsea forum its without question, Rangers. If you dont like it thats fine, i would advise ignoring it.

There's a chap on this very forum sporting a William III avatar and the username 'Boyne 1690', it's ridiculous.

The whole 'friendship' business seems so childish and contrived, thoughts of scousers and their Mönchengladbach love-in spring to mind. It's tacky, frankly.

There's a chap on this very forum sporting a William III avatar and the username 'Boyne 1690', it's ridiculous.

The whole 'friendship' business seems so childish and contrived, thoughts of scousers and their Mönchengladbach love-in spring to mind. It's tacky, frankly.

Yes it certainly is. However one swallow doesnt make a Summer. You dont seem to have addressed any of the points i made aimed at balancing out the issue so if you want to believe he speaks for the majority thats up to you.

Yes it certainly is. However one swallow doesnt make a Summer. You dont seem to have addressed any of the points i made aimed at balancing out the issue so if you want to believe he speaks for the majority thats up to you.

A large number on the Rangers side seem to view us a part of some bizarre bloc that features Linfield, that is the operative point. Surely you have seen the laughably amateur looking graphics that do the rounds attesting to this so-called 'alliance', a couple of irregular posters here sport them as avatars.

I doubt the sincerity, nay, the sanity of anyone trumpeting links between ourselves and Linfield. It isn't healthy for the club, indeed I would say that it is rather toxic.

Well, I've been supporting Chelsea for over 40 years. The Rangers thing was one I steered clear of because of the C18 and sectarian sh*te that went with it. The blues brother thing with the bigots across the sea is laughable...So, if we get Rangers in the champions league in future, are these Chelsea/rangers fans going to cheer each other on ?

The idea of having a second team in another country, in another league, with no links to us is nonsense.

By all means, if you feel the need to align yourself to them, then carry on, but it shouldn't be on a Chelsea site.

BTW, I looked at several Rangers fan sites and don't see anything devoted to us, but did see some posts mocking this so called allegiance.

A large number on the Rangers side seem to view us a part of some bizarre bloc that features Linfield, that is the operative point. Surely you have seen the laughably amateur looking graphics that do the rounds attesting to this so-called 'alliance', a couple of irregular posters here sport them as avatars.

I doubt the sincerity, nay, the sanity of anyone trumpeting links between ourselves and Linfield. It isn't healthy for the club, indeed I would say that it is rather toxic.

Again youve made no attempt to address my comments aimed at balancing out your generalisations so at this stage we should head our seperate ways as any hope of balanced discussion seems to be beyond you. Fair enough, though i maintain its a little unfair to tar all with a (admittedly very toxic) brush.

Well, I've been supporting Chelsea for over 40 years. The Rangers thing was one I steered clear of because of the C18 and sectarian sh*te that went with it. The blues brother thing with the bigots across the sea is laughable...So, if we get Rangers in the champions league in future, are these Chelsea/rangers fans going to cheer each other on ?

The idea of having a second team in another country, in another league, with no links to us is nonsense.

By all means, if you feel the need to align yourself to them, then carry on, but it shouldn't be on a Chelsea site.

BTW, I looked at several Rangers fan sites and don't see anything devoted to us, but did see some posts mocking this so called allegiance.

Is there an allegience ? Ive never said there was. Certainly any Rangers fans ive met dont see it that way. Ive simply stated that many Chelsea fans of a certain age have a soft spot for Rangers and thats pretty much that and where im coming from, there is utterley no link to any politics from my point of view (and plenty of others too). I cant emphasise this enough though it doesnt seem to be registering with the guy above.

As for Linfield ? Well yes, any link is utterly poltically motivated and the 3 badges together thing is best steered clear of. One for the clueless sheep who probably salute Jason Mariner as a legend.

If Rangers were to play Chelsea in the CL ? I would passionatley support Chelsea as i always do, and like i did in 2007. But i would welcome the occasion , as it would be fascinating to see the 2 teams play in a competitive match. Certainly there would be a element of support that woud use it as an excuse to wheel out their nonsense but the majority would welcome the game i think (not least cause we'd win!)

Is there an allegience ? Ive never said there was. Certainly any Rangers fans ive met dont see it that way. Ive simply stated that many Chelsea fans of a certain age have a soft spot for Rangers and thats pretty much that and where im coming from, there is utterley no link to any politics from my point of view (and plenty of others too). I cant emphasise this enough though it doesnt seem to be registering with the guy above.

As for Linfield ? Well yes, any link is utterly poltically motivated and the 3 badges together thing is best steered clear of. One for the clueless sheep who probably salute Jason Mariner as a legend.

If Rangers were to play Chelsea in the CL ? I would passionatley support Chelsea as i always do, and like i did in 2007. But i would welcome the occasion , as it would be fascinating to see the 2 teams play in a competitive match. Certainly there would be a element of support that woud use it as an excuse to wheel out their nonsense but the majority would welcome the game i think (not least cause we'd win

Fair points mate. Maybe you and others like Rangers for whatever reason, I've a couple of mates that have been up there for friendlies. But I also know that there was a strong right wing element from NF,BNP, C18 who aligned themselves to Rangers and all the Loyalist stuff

All I' m saying is that a Chelsea forum shouldn't have a site devoted to another football club.

Incidentley, just seen that the Bradford fire game attendance was 7,000......and the game for Ron Harris in '71 was about 16,000.......doesn't seem like much affinity between the fans if those figures are correct, esp. knowing the numbers that Rangers are supposed to bring.

Again youve made no attempt to address my comments aimed at balancing out your generalisations so at this stage we should head our seperate ways as any hope of balanced discussion seems to be beyond you. Fair enough, though i maintain its a little unfair to tar all with a (admittedly very toxic) brush.

I've no qualms about tarring anyone who buys into the Linfield thing with the same brush, they're cretins.

Do you find the Liverpool-Mönchengladbach 'relationship' cringey at all? What about the Rangers-Liverpool one? Do half scarves not fill you with the urge to strangle the wearer?  In Italy the ultra groups have so-called 'friendships' left right and centre (excuse the pun...), Lazio fans cheering for Inter, Napoli fans cheering for Genoa, it's small-time, faux sentimental bosh.

Having a forum dedicated to another club is bizarre, I'm not the one who started the topic, I'm simply giving my opinion. Find me one example of a club forum that has a section dedicated to another team.

I've no qualms about tarring anyone who buys into the Linfield thing with the same brush, they're cretins.

Do you find the Liverpool-Mönchengladbach 'relationship' cringey at all? What about the Rangers-Liverpool one? Do half scarves not fill you with the urge to strangle the wearer?  In Italy the ultra groups have so-called 'friendships' left right and centre (excuse the pun...), Lazio fans cheering for Inter, Napoli fans cheering for Genoa, it's small-time, faux sentimental bosh.

Having a forum dedicated to another club is bizarre, I'm not the one who started the topic, I'm simply giving my opinion. Find me one example of a club forum that has a section dedicated to another team.

Which is pretty much what i said too.

However you have yet again ignored everything else ive said and chosen to carry on as if ive posted nothing that tries to educate you on why there is a section of our support that has Rangers as a second team and how that isnt based on polictical crap.

Im done trying to discuss this with you now, youre just not interested and you ignore what i say so its pointless!

ps: never heard of the Liverpool/Rangers 'link' - always thought it was Liverpool/Celtic to be honest. Not that i care.

Which is pretty much what i said too.

However you have yet again ignored everything else ive said and chosen to carry on as if ive posted nothing that tries to educate you on why there is a section of our support that has Rangers as a second team and how that isnt based on polictical crap.

Im done trying to discuss this with you now, youre just not interested and you ignore what i say so its pointless!

ps: never heard of the Liverpool/Rangers 'link' - always thought it was Liverpool/Celtic to be honest. Not that i care.

I haven't ignored anything, it goes without saying that most on our side don't buy into the poisonous politics.

Liverpool are 'split' both ways, the Rangers links mainly stemming from the Hillsborough/Ibrox disasters and Souness. They've always been big in Ireland and Scotland as either a first or 'second' team but so have Man United.