Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daveycfc1

rangers/chelsea?

Just started attending away games recently,can anyone enlighten me on why there were so many Scottish so called chelsea fans at the sunderland game,I was situated right next to them and according to the crack circulating around these part they were responsible for quite a bit disturbance during and after the game,I'm just a bit concerned as I take my son and the behavior was at least disturbing.

Just started attending away games recently,can anyone enlighten me on why there were so many Scottish so called chelsea fans at the sunderland game,I was situated right next to them and according to the crack circulating around these part they were responsible for quite a bit disturbance during and after the game,I'm just a bit concerned as I take my son and the behavior was at least disturbing.

Probably Rangers Chelsea link aka Blues Brothers.

So they attend regular away games?is this just to cause trouble or do they actually follow cfc.

All they sung about was Martin oneil,how much tgey hate celtic..it actually felt like a political rally.

Very difficult to explain the whole relationship and why it's there in a single answer. 

Lots of good moments historically during friendlies - many of the older guard on here talk about a testimonial matches in the 80's, the 2 friendlies the clubs have had in 2007 and last summer. I was lucky enough to be living in Glasgow for the friendly last summer and can honestly say it's up there as one of the most enjoyable matches I've ever been to regarding pre-match, during and post-match atmosphere. Several players who've made the change from CFC to RFC and vice-versa. The (generally speaking) unionist/protestant element of RFC support is (generally speaking) music to the ears of a lot of Chelsea supporters who are proud to be British and royalist etc.. 

As far as whether or not the guys sitting next to you were actual Chelsea supporters - I'm sure that they do genuinely look out for Chelsea results at least, with a varying level of support individually. I've had great experiences going to away games up North, Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn etc, coming down from Glasgow on the trains, there's always a few Rangers fans making the journey down as well (despite the fact their team is playing on the same day on many occasions) always keen to sing-along with Chelsea supporters.

It also goes both ways. On more than one occasion I've been welcomed in RFC supporters pubs in Glasgow, when I went to watch their matches against Man U, and a league decider a couple of years ago. Everyone around me could clearly see I was English and a Chelsea-supporter, but I didn't have any problems from anyone either in the supporters clubs or at the stadium itself.

Generally speaking, and I do mean generally, most football fans are well behaved - but every team has their element of trouble-makers, it's not fair to say that it was only the Rangers supporters who instigated trouble at Sunderland last weekend, considering chances are they were there with friends of theirs from down south. I've personally witnessed groups of 10 - 15 coming down to support Chelsea and they've been nothing but a good laugh, up for a sing-along, and their presence has made it an even better day out.

What's funny is i've had similar conversations with Rangers supporters arguing exactly the opposite side of things. I've found myself on several occasions defending our travelling fans who go to watch them play, mainly in the big games like title-deciders, champions league, old-firm matches etc.. In Manchester when they were in the Uefa cup final, many of the Rangers fans I've spoken to consider Chelsea supporters responsible, at least for some, of the rioting and trouble that happened - and I'm sure there were several hundred (at least) Chelsea supporters who made the journey to watch Rangers play, mostly in good spirits but like I said before - a trouble-maker is a trouble-maker regardless of where he's from/who he supports. 

Maybe I'm slightly biased as I live in Glasgow and have therefore enjoyed the link between the two clubs first hand and on many occasions. But IMO it's only a positive thing that the clubs supporters have this 'special' relationship, and when I see a couple of Rangers supporters turning out either home or away in England to support Chelsea, it makes me look forward to the game even more and only adds to the atmosphere. 

In the end, I wouldn't worry for the safety of your son based solely on the fact Rangers supporters go to most away games. If there's a Chelsea match on up north, there are going to be trouble-makers looking to stir things up, regardless of who they're playing and where the supporters are travelling from. 

Guest RFC_CFC

I have been to a few away games and never heard songs about Celtic.

Being going to chelsea since 94 have had some good and bad meetings with rangers fans in that time the bad ones I just forget and the good ones stay with me. You will get morons everywhere. Being Irish I remember going in to get breakfasts across the round from Fulham Broadway and linfield supports in cafe got up and left their breakfast because me and a few Irish mates walked in this was back in 97. Then I had a great time with them up in arkles pub in liverpool before the Everton cup semi final. Same up in Bolton and hull and in the san siro and so on. Don't leave it bother you I have meet rangers fans that r nice and rangers fans that are not so nice. I even have a rangers mate here in Ireland. You'll get assholes everywhere.

I'm wondering, with so many connections between our two clubs, so many members of this site who consider themselves Rangers fans first, Chelsea fans second, and vice versa, whether it might be a good idea - if at all possible, to create a dedicated Rangers sub-forum, for posting Rangers related news, match reports and the like.

An extra section to the non-Chelsea football forum perhaps?

Certainly wouldn't mind that, Doc.

Mate of mine is a lifelong Rangers Fan, who now lives in Oz. Was over in Paris for a Rangers v PSG game and claims a lot of the trouble was kicked off by Chelsea fans.

I think it's just down to being away from home, and trying to give it the big "I am!" Nothing that should really be associated with any one particular set of supporters.

however, I know a few RFC-CFC supporters in Scotland who hold season tickets, but only got to away games up north. And yes, you're right about Martin O'Neil being an easy target for the Rangers fans that traveled.

Thanks

I'm glad you like the idea. I've got no idea how practical it would be, so a little input from the moderators would be welcome.

In the meantime, any more takers?

Guest RFC_CFC

I'm wondering, with so many connections between our two clubs, so many members of this site who consider themselves Rangers fans first, Chelsea fans second, and vice versa, whether it might be a good idea - if at all possible, to create a dedicated Rangers sub-forum, for posting Rangers related news, match reports and the like.

An extra section to the non-Chelsea football forum perhaps?

It is a good idea mate, I use Rangersmedia and this site to keep up to date with both.

I'm not convinced there are enough Rangers related threads to merit an entire forum to itself. However if enough people would like to see it I could trial it and if it doesn't take off we could just merge it back in with the football forum.

So happy total other opinions both for and against on board.

A trial would be excellent.

I agree entirely that there aren't currently enough Rangers related threads, but add the fixture list as a sticky, regular match reports - maybe even matchday threads, transfer and other news and suddenly you could have a thriving little sub-forum.

Guest RFC_CFC

A trial would be excellent.

I agree entirely that there aren't currently enough Rangers related threads, but add the fixture list as a sticky, regular match reports - maybe even matchday threads, transfer and other news and suddenly you could have a thriving little sub-forum.

I'd be happy to write up match reports ect if this was something that was brought up since I attend a good few of the games and watch the ones I don't get to (because of working down here).

I'd be happy to write up match reports ect if this was something that was brought up since I attend a good few of the games and watch the ones I don't get to (because of working down here).

Nice one. I was thinking of reports posted elsewhere, from the Official Rangers site, but if you could write your own, so much the better.

All for this Lozzer!

I know there may only be a select few of us that would come in here and read about what's going on, but it is a good, clean easy place for us to get our Rangers news. If other people don't want to read about it, they'll know not to come in here, and it doesn't "clutter" the other Football forums.

Up to our Knee's in division 3