Diego Costa - The Real Deal

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Now that he's firmaly a part of the Chelsea family I thought Diego deserved a thread apart from the tail of his transfer speculation.

Anyway, 3 games in and anyone not like what we've seen so far? He's a nuisance and a bully in the Drogba mould, he's got decent feet, his runs and timing remind me of Gianluca Vialli, but none of that really matters - WE HAVE A STRIKER THAT CAN SCORE GOALS!

Surely now world domination is a matter of time as Jose has assembeld the perfect killing machine that will inevitably sweep away all that come before them.

I know - I am getting carried away, but Jeez he looks good. Whilst we all know the season is even longer than a British winter and there will be testing times ahead, no doubt a few poor displays along the way, I think we may have a genuine world class centre forward on our hands.

Every time he gets a chance I've become so conditioned to the impending miss that I don't trust him to score yet but 4 goals in 3 games off the back of limited goalscoring opportunites suggests that perhaps my expectations may alter to actual belief a clear chance results in a striker scoring.

Unfortunately, support him as we did, we will have to file Torres with Fleck, Sutton, Sheva as expensive misfiring disappointments. But at just 25 am truly optimistic that Costa might keep better and company and become what we all crave - another Chelsea legend.

Edited by mickydroysleftpeg

I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far. I agree with everything the pundits on MOTD said earlier. He back tracks, clears corners, passes and scores goals!! A genuine forward, team player with a legend as a mentor. He is going to be a big hit I reckon.

Though one thing that is pissing me off is referees are already targeting him and opposition are already winding him up.

I think he's a fantastic striker and player to have in our squad. He's fast, has good feet, and keeps his goal scoring simple. He had 4 chances yesterday and scored 2 of them which is brilliant. What happens when he gets 5 or 6 opportunities? Very exciting!

He's also a hot head with quite a short fuse by the looks of it. I think he's handling it very well though. He got harassed by the Everton players and fans yesterday and found himself in the book, but got the last laugh and let Coleman know it. His 2nd goal was the icing on the cake. Loved his celebration.

Yep my hands up...I doubted him. My bad.

Great to see him score all sorts of goals so far too, scrappy tap ins, power finish and the composure for his second yesterday was sublime.

As for him getting wound up, he just needs to keep his hands down and just give it the verbal, it worked yesterday to get Howard's back up and as long as players are treading on his toes or pinching him or digging him in the back then they deserve it if they come off second best in the cheap shot stakes.

Yep my hands up...I doubted him. My bad.

Great to see him score all sorts of goals so far too, scrappy tap ins, power finish and the composure for his second yesterday was sublime.

As for him getting wound up, he just needs to keep his hands down and just give it the verbal, it worked yesterday to get Howard's back up and as long as players are treading on his toes or pinching him or digging him in the back then they deserve it if they come off second best in the cheap shot stakes.

of course Martinez is deflecting from Howard's behaviour - no one seems to be asking why Howard wasn't red carded for a) grabbing Costa by the throat and b) leaning his forehead into Dave

and you are right, all through the game Coleman was bumping and pushing Costa again not commented on by anyone in the press and no matter what Costa said to him after the goal they're all big boys, I'm sure they've experienced a few verbals before now

i love Costa's attitude and his workrate all over the pitch is really impressive; a great addition 

IF Costa can maintain anything like his early goalscoring form,  then that £32 million price tag is going to loolk like a bit of a bargain. When I say "if", I'm not doubting Costa's ability or his goalscoring touch, just adding a touch of sod's law type caution.

There are so many things that can go wrong, from injury to suspension to loss of form. Naturally I'm hoping that Costa will be fit and available and in a rich vein of form throughout the season, but by the same token, I'm not going to get carried away on the basis of the first three games of the season.

• 2 weeks later...