Best football images

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

9 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I second that - great stuff lads.

Love looking back to when football was less complicated and not the game (business) driven by money it has sadly become. 

The footballers of yesteryear were hero's to us kids with the Shoot & Goal pictures cut out and stuck on bedroom walls and fans could relate to them, cos they weren't on £200k a week and driving Bentleys and Lamborghini's (and looking at Frank "Elvis" Worthington) a couple of pages back driving a Triumph Dolomite and enjoying a pint with his steak & chips! 

Agreed re footballers of yesteryear. They weren’t so far away from the supporter.

Glad you enjoy it.As said I try not to ‘take over’ this thread with the pictures I post.

Simply If I see a decent or interesting picture I post it.

5 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I second that - great stuff lads.

Love looking back to when football was less complicated and not the game (business) driven by money it has sadly become. 

The footballers of yesteryear were hero's to us kids with the Shoot & Goal pictures cut out and stuck on bedroom walls and fans could relate to them, cos they weren't on £200k a week and driving Bentleys and Lamborghini's (and looking at Frank "Elvis" Worthington) a couple of pages back driving a Triumph Dolomite and enjoying a pint with his steak & chips! 

Love this Nibs ... here is my bedroom wall from 1978 LOL

image.png.ae040ecb22438d29ea9098c437ed361c.png

You can see Ray in his England kit, the 1978 squad pic, Ian Britton, all three of the Wilkins brothers, Peter Bonetti ... and the pics that are washed out by the lighting are Ray Lewington (top) and Steve Finnieston, both a similar Q&A to Frank Worthington's from earlier in the thread, albeit probably nowhere near as interesting 🙂

My mum (RIP) made the Chelsea cushion in the bottom left corner - she was pretty handy with a sewing machine. She also made the Clanger and the Gonk on the top shelf LOL.

Cushion in more detail :

image.png.53e9c7c806a425524362a84b46b850b6.png

She also made the quilt on the bed, which I still have. Blue for Chelsea and green for the army was the deliberate colour scheme !

Time warp stuff indeed ... 🙂 

8 hours ago, erskblue said:
img182.jpg
Photo From: Soccer Monthly, June 1979

Anyone  remember this magazine.?   It was issued from either Aug or Sept 1978 to possibly 1981 .

I checked this magazine was published from Sept 78 until October 1980. .

I might, just might, have a few copies in the loft somewhere.

arg%2Bengl%2B77.jpg

(Daniel Bertoni of Argentina scoring from a free kick v England on 12th June 1977,.

A ‘friendly’ match, ending in a 1-1 draw. Such a friendly that both sides ended with 10 men.
Trevor Cherry fouled Bertoni. When Bertoni got up he punched Terry and knocked some teeth out.
The pair, who had been booked before, were immediately sent off.
The Argentinean Federation suspended Bertoni for four matches and also exonerated Cherry..

Edited by erskblue

A few days later Scotland, also on a South American Tour, faced Argentina.
Just like the match v England, it was a tight match with many fouls and the result was one-all tie.
Both sides scored their goals through penalty kicks.
With  13 mins remaining Scotland were awarded their penalty kick from which Don Masson scored.
Three mins later, Argentina were awarded a penalty kick of their own, Daniel Passarella scoring.
And just like the match v England two players were sent off.
In the 56thmin Argentina’s Vicente Pernia punched Scotland’s Willie Johnston in retaliation after a foul.
To be fair Pernia had kicked and fouled Johnston from virtually the kick off.
The Scot was the victim in this game.
Both players were sent off.

arg%2Bsco%2B77.jpg
Photo From : World Soccer, August 1977
(June 18, 1977, Argentina 1-Scotland 1)

4 hours ago, erskblue said:
 We beat Bolton 4- 3 at The Bridge.  
The first league matches for seven years
.     1946.    The Football League on Twitter.

Looks like we had the biggest crowd of the day with just over 61,000 in attendance. Not bad for a club which is supposed to have no history.