JM refuses to up squad size

Pauly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 638377.stm (stupid url feature has confused me)

Mourinho refuses to up squad size

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho

Mourinho is set to stay at Chelsea, even though there is speculation over his future

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has ruled out increasing the 24-man squad he prefers to operate with, despite the club's injury troubles this season.

"It is impossible to have a squad of 35 players," he told The Guardian.

"What we have to do is pray as the situation we have in terms of injuries is not possible to be repeated.

"Maybe next season I have big, big problems to chose a team because I have 24 players ready to play and everybody is fit."

He added: "It is something we cannot control and I think the numbers we had this season were correct."

Mourinho will also lose a strong contingent of his squad during the African Cup of Nations next season.

Strikers Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, midfielders Michael Essien and Mikel Jon Obi as well as Geremi are likely to be unavailable to Chelsea but Mourinho is philosophical about their loss.

"The competition is between 20 January and 10 February, so it about 20 days long," he said.

"By the rules the players have to go eight to 10 days before that, so it is around a month.

"That's one month when there are some Carling Cup and FA Cup games, so I don't think it is a period with seven Premiership matches.

"I think there will be three, maximum four league games.

"We have to look at it like a moment when the players are injured and we cannot use them."

----------------------------------------------------

certain to be here:

1 Petr Cech

2 Glen Johnson

3 Wayne Bridge

4 John Terry

5 Ricardo Carvalho

6 Claude Makelele

7 Frank Lampard

8 Michael Essien

9 Jon Obi Mikel

10 Didier Drogba

12 Joe Cole

13 Salomon Kalou

14 Ashley Cole

most likely to be here:

15 Carlo Cudicini

16 Paulo Ferreira

17 Wright-Phillips

18 Hilarrio

19 Lassana Diarra

questionable to be here:

20 Robben

21 Ballack

22 Shevchenko

23 Boulharouz

unlikely to be here:

24 Geremi

+

25. Sinclair

So obviously with the ANC a striker will be signed- i definitely think JM will stick with the 442, so i think this striker will be classy, and obviously we will sign a central defender. I think it will be two out and three in: Geremi is definately out in my opinion- we have too many central midfields and johnson is confirmed to return... The other player will be one of the 4 from 20-23.

A striker: it's going to be a big name and they're going to be athletic. Torres/Owen/Toni/Trezeguet/Bent/Klose/Adriano/Ribery/Tevez

A central defender: Alex? Is he due yet? Somebody Portuguese probably!

We are still one central defender and striker short with the current formation- so i'm going with: Dion Dublin.

No really- Sinclair.

pauly

unlikely to be here:

24 Geremi

+

25. Sinclair

You can add Hedman to that list. icon_wink.gif

Torres/Owen/Toni/Trezeguet/Bent/Klose/Adriano/Ribery/Tevez

Torres? Depends on what is says on the pricetag. We'd probably have to break our record transfer fee to get him, and I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

Owen? Too injuryprone. He's English and used to be good so the asking price is likely to be way over the top compared to the risks involved.

Toni? Quite agile for such a big man, but do we want to invest in another 30 year old striker?

Trezeguet? Another 30 year old striker...and would he be looking for a new club? I mean, Juve looks like they are on course to getting promoted back to Serie A and if Trezeguet didn't jump ship after they were relegated, why would he do it now?

Bent? Decent striker who knows how to play in Premiership. Still...out of the strikers of the same caliber, I'd rather go for Yakubu or Obafemi Martins.

Klose? Getting close to 30, but I think he would have what it takes to be a hit in the Premiership. Strong in the air as well as being quite physical. Depends on the pricetag(and availability)...it's probably something absolutely ridiculous.

Adriano? Wouldn't we want our strikers to be the type that score goals? icon_wink.gif Quite curious that you don't mention this Swedish striker at Inter who has actually scored quite a few goals this season. icon_lol.gif

Ribery? Not really a striker.

Tevez? Already one season of Premiership football under his belt and seems to have adapted quite well. Not a bad choice...we will probably face tough competition from Liverpool in the fight to get him signed. I mean, with his compatriot already being there and all. Ofcourse, if he came to us, he wouldn't have to move out of London.

I'm shocked, Pauly! Tevez actually gets on your strikers list, even if he is on the end and behind Adriano and Ribery (damning with faint praise, eh?)

possibilities not my list- if it was my list it would involve around 8 outs and 12 ins and a headache for romans accountants!

Torres is vastly over-rated and an internet urban legend. Owen's release clause is ?9m. Tevez has said he wants to play in Spain. The others I have to agree with are too old really.

What do you think of Eto'o? United have been heavily linked with him and he's apparently unsettled at Barca. Cost a fair whack but sounds like he's available if you're after another striker... How much money do you think is available for you for next season?

I don't think squad "size" has been the problem this season - our squad has been unbalanced and lacking in quality beyond the first team.

We have about 600 central midfielders, but no decent backup at centreback or striker.

Thats what needs to be fixed.

I'm thinking the striker will be one Benni McCarthy, actually.

Which would be a great option if you ask me.

Proven, established Premiership player.

Would definately fit into Mourinho's system (as he already has played under him at Porto).

Isn't too big name/reputation to sit on the bench if Sheva and Drogba are preferred.

I said this elsewhere but still don't know theanswer. Isn't McCarthy still playing international football and thus will be away at the ACN at the same time as Drogba?

I said this elsewhere but still don't know theanswer. Isn't McCarthy still playing international football and thus will be away at the ACN at the same time as Drogba?

he retired from international football in 2005.

strange as he's not that old and will only be 32 when his country hosts the WC, but he did it.

Cheers Undertow, I didn't realise he had retired again. I knew he quit the international scene after the 2002 World cup but then reversed that decision. Didn't realise he had retired again.

Guest Brian M
strange as he's not that old and will only be 32 when his country hosts the WC, but he did it.

Goals or no goals this season, we do not need another 30 + (is he really 32?) fading striker looking for one last pay day. Let's get someone 25-28 ish. Been around the block a few times, but still with a lot to prove.

Goals or no goals this season, we do not need another 30 + (is he really 32?) fading striker looking for one last pay day. Let's get someone 25-28 ish. Been around the block a few times, but still with a lot to prove.

I'm pretty sure McCarthy is 29. And when I've seen him, he's looked far sharper fro Blackburn this season than Sheva has for us. Ideally, yes I'd like to see someone a couple of years younger, but McCarthy wouldn't be a bad option.

At least Jose seems to be on our wavelength:

"It's obvious that we need a couple of players, two or three," he said. "I don't think we will be involved in a crazy market, in big transfers and big changes. But of course we need a central defender, that's obvious, and a midfielder to make the group stronger especially when we lose Mikel [John Obi] and [Michael] Essien to the African Nations Cup. And we need a striker, so I think that's maybe one more player. So three or four players is what we are looking for and we're working on that. We have one week now before a big game and that's what we're thinking about. After the final it's time to think seriously about two or three coming in and going."

Source: Guardian

So that look's like G. Johnson, & Sidwell + a reasonable priced Centre Back (Maybe Alex), & Striker?

Where do you find a Premiership Striker who is capable, and yet not megabucks?

Now we're cheapskates:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... =1779&ct=5 icon_rolleyes.gif

What rubbish.

First of all I think we are quite intelligent signing players for free. Why pay when you don't have too?

And one must remember that we payed ?5 million for Alex in the first place. That is quite alot of money if you ask me.

Bloody papers. They're only good for whiping your a*se.

Archived