Chelsea appeal Mikel sending off

Lofty

From the BBC:

Blues appeal over Mikel dismissal

Mikel was sent off for a tackle on Patrice Evra

Chelsea have lodged an appeal against the sending off of midfielder Mikel Jon Obi early in their 2-0 defeat at Manchester United on Sunday.

A club spokesman told a news conference after the game an appeal for wrongful dismissal was already under way.

Referee Mike Dean dismissed Mikel for a foul on Patrice Evra after 32 minutes.

"We were playing well until Mikel was sent off and the game changed. It seemed the wrong decision," said new Blues manager Avram Grant.

Referee Mike Dean apparently thought Mikel had two feet on the end of the same leg.

We were not playing well until he got that red card, so he can forget about that, but I still don't agree he should have been sent off. That was no red card. Esspecialy that early in the game (without any warnings).

On a possitive note: I always look forward to a Mikel-free midfield. getmycoat.gif

Mikel looked to go in studs down and one footed so I would not even say it merited a Yellow.

The thing is although we were average at best until the sending off we still had no Drogba or Lampard, the whole team must have been under a huge cloud after Jose going and we were away to the Champions with a Referee not having his best day.

I loved what Jose brought to Chelsea but he is gone and now I will get behind whatever manager we have, blindly maybe but its all I can do to help

I think we need to give the man a chance, two or three months will tell if he has what it takes so lets at least give him that.

this season was looking a bit of a washout although thats a spoilt view sitting at the right end of the table but the way we were playing made me think that we would not win anything,

thats still most likely the case but if it turns out the behind the seens rows were interfering with the football then maybe just maybe a change was needed,

I am as gutted as anyone but I was gutted when Ruud was sacked and I will no doubt have a lot more things to whinge about...its my right as a Chelsea fan.

nah, i think mikel will be a good player. he was unlucky with this red.

he has a calm head on his shoulders when he has the ball usually, and i reckon he can be our "slide rule" passer which we so need.

obviously he is far from that finished product yet, but the kid clearly has class.

the new viera i think, even his build is similar. tall, yet solid. a bit of a feverish tackle but looks to pass forward rather then run with the ball.

0_o

I really don't think it makes a difference if he went in two-footed or not - he gets to sit out the next few games. Maybe he'll become A Farm Grunt's special helper on the training ground, handing out the bibs and placing the cones. Maybe he'll get to stand beside The Normal One during the sessions - maybe he'll even be offered a Werthers Original (but only when the other lads aren't looking, don't want to cause unrest in the squad).

Obi John Mikobi is no great loss to the team at the moment, what with Yoda picking the team under guidance from Darth Abramo-vader.

Oh bollocks, who am I kidding.

It sez 'ere that he won't get off (but this is the Mail):

Chelsea have appealed against Mikel's red card but will almost certainly fail because FIFA will not allow the FA to downgrade the card to a yellow. Only if the foul on Patrice Evra was not even deemed worthy of a booking could Chelsea possibly succeed.

It also implies JT will be hanged, drawn and quartered for touching the ref's hand holding the (wrongly awarded) red card.

Personally it seems clear cut: Dean clearly said the red was for a two-footed challenge. The video proves that it wasn't two footed ergo he's not guilty and the card should be overturned.

Typical really. In my book it was a 50-50 challenge and no more. Not even deserving of a yellow (whereas I think Joe's effort in the 2nd half probably deserved crimson) Anyway of more interest will be to see what matches Dean get over the next few weeks given he's been card happy all season apparently.

Mike Dean - the same bloody referee who disallowed Drogba's goal at Fulham last season. He is a bent ref, pure and simple. And don't forget that he was banned sometime back for being involved in a betting syndicate. The Book should be thrown at him by the FA. And he is a scouser!!

Chelsea have lost their appeal over the red card. The 3 match suspension starts with tomorrows tie against hull, and then 2 EPL matches Fulham and Bolton.

Terry now could be charged with his attempt at snatching the card that dean was trying to give to mikel.

No great surprise. They were never going to downgrade it from a red card to no card at all and therefore the r=straight red was always going to stand.

This rule (that of not being able to downgrade to a yellow) is relevant to all teams so I am not going to make an anti Chelsea song and dance about it however on a more general point it is something of a stupid rule. If anyone can provide one logical reason why a red can't be downgraded to a yellow I will call them Graham Poll.

No great surprise. They were never going to downgrade it from a red card to no card at all and therefore the r=straight red was always going to stand.

This rule (that of not being able to downgrade to a yellow) is relevant to all teams so I am not going to make an anti Chelsea song and dance about it however on a more general point it is something of a stupid rule. If anyone can provide one logical reason why a red can't be downgraded to a yellow I will call them Graham Poll.

Surely the logical solution would be to downgrade the red to three yellows then icon_wink.gif

Archived