The Bosingwa deal appears to be done

Iceman

The Porto Full back?! Man we are being linked with some amount of full backs so far. Bosingwa, Alves, Lahm. And all of whom the press are claiming to be "the best in their position."

It makes me wonder just who we will see staying and who we will see leaving. We already have signed this Ivanovic bloke, and have Juliano, Paulo, Ash and Wayne at our disposal. It makes me feel that Bridgeye really might be off to pastures new, and more regular first team football.

Also, and this is mere speculation on my part, but if the press can do it why can't I? Does anyone else feel that we may sign this Bosingwa, and offer orto Paulo back as part of the deal. I can't understand why Paulo was given a new 4 year contract to then see us being linked with all these other players who could replace him? Either that, or Belletti is off and Paulo continues to be used merely as back up?

Scott

The Porto Full back?! Man we are being linked with some amount of full backs so far. Bosingwa, Alves, Lahm. And all of whom the press are claiming to be "the best in their position."

you forgot 55m Sergio Ramos, Scotty....

Good God, so I did....brain can only retain so many full backs!

Yep I think either Paolo or Belletti will leave. I think we should stick with Belletti. His qualities in attack are something we really need. He can come off the bench and score a cracker. Paolo doesn't have that quality IMO.

Bosingwa is more of defending type full back? The name is familiar but not the face.

EDIT: Here is his wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Bosingwa

By the numbers he is certainly not attacking minded. 103 games for Porto and only 2 goals. Belletti has already done that in this season.

source: wikipedia

"(born August 24, 1982 in Kinshasa) is a football player from Portugal. He currently plays for Portuguese side F.C. Porto, as well as for Portugal's national team. His main traits are quickness and stamina."

"On May 6, Bosingwa's agent denied all reports that Manchester United had agreed a four- year deal for £15.8 million. On the 12th, he signed for Chelsea FC, at the end of the Premier League 2007-08 season, for around €20m (£15.8 million)."

Bosingwa is more of defending type full back? The name is familiar but not the face.

I think not, he is both (defensive as well as attacking). He is a renowned right wing-back at Porto by my reckoning.

His main traits are quickness and stamina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Bosingwa

EDIT : You mentioned what I wanted to icon_razz.gif

However, I also found out a detailed profile of his : http://www.portugoal.net/PlayerProfiles/Jose-Bosingwa.htm. It was last updated a year ago though.

Odd signing.

Lots of money for a player who, in my opinion, we don't really need.

Looks like we spent 7 million on Ivanovic as backup then? And that Beletti and Paulo will go?

300.gif

The price irks me, even though i know 'we've got unlimited funds blah blah blah.'

15 million for a right back???? Christ Porto have made some good money off us over the last few years.

I know little about Bosingwa, but I do know we don't really need him, so forgive me for being a bit uniinspired about this signing, if true.

Surely we should be spending our money on creative players - wingers, strikers, playmaker. No coincidence we have not won the title since the departure of Robben & Duff. They were never adequately replaced...

I think it shows lack of respect to our defenders to announce this deal before the most important game in Chelsea's history. I bet Paolo and Belletti are thinking that their days might be numbered in Chelsea. I understand that Bosingwa was in many other teams' shopping list as well but they should handle these things after the final. nono.gif

good signing in my opinion. we havent had a top class right back for years. paulos been a good right back for us, but by no means the best around. and realistically thats what we are always after signing. so bosingwa first choice, with paulo 2nd and ivanovic as an emergency right back sounds prety good to me especially when it means essien wont have to play their anymore. ivanovic is a central defensive back up. we now have 4 top class centre backs which we always needed. and didnt we all think £20 million for riccy was too much to pay at the time? that worked out pretty well.

Not the signing I expected to see, and a pretty unfortunate time to go public with it(so close to the UCL final).

It's good that we're starting to build the team early, though. After the Euros it might be too late and the prices on some players are likely to go up if they have a good tournament.

Archived