Platitude, Attitude and the JT Dude

Dorset

Like a horse with no jockey, I could not bring myself to post yesterday. Indeed, I could not bring myself to write at all, which led to problems in other directions, but I wont bother you with my troubles when we’ve all got enough on our plate at the moment. Currently top of the [let’s have a] pop listing is a distraught John Terry and the best we can offer him in his time of need is a platitude. I know it’s only a platitude, but I went through the whole of yesterday with it ringing in my ears, before hearing it one more time from Scott Minto on Chelsea TV, so here it is and it really is the best we can offer the man.

JT, it was ’just not meant to be’ and you must forever believe that to be the case. Thank heavens we, the supporters, know you better than the Media in this country and realise that your shoulders are broad enough to take this blow to your confidence in the same way as you’ve taken many others to the body, with all of them being in Chelsea’s cause.

Henry Winter, in the Telegraph, wrote of the brutal way JT was treated by the sporting gods and, if you believe we lost by decree from above, my platitude provides scant comfort. This Winter tale was one of many opening bursts from UK sportswriters anxious to jump on the ManU/Munich/Moscow bandwagon - no more than most Chelsea fans would be expecting on the morning after such a heartrending defeat on penalties - and, of course, as the weeks and months go by, ’on penalties’ will slip further into the Media subconscious to be replaced by rousing ’deservedly so’s’. The outcome for United will henceforth be burnished until it shines brighter than their actual performance, which was no better than ours and could be described as flagging at the end.

Still, I suppose we should be grateful that at least one hack took the sporting gods to task for their treatment of our captain and, if we acknowledge their decree [that he should bear the burden of defeat], we must also see the reasoning behind two other major turning points in the game. Gods, it would appear, believe that self praise is no recommendation and when someone like Cristiano Ronaldo professes greatness it is good to see his egotistical claptrap exposed for what it is in front of an audience of millions. As Oscar Wilde might have said, to miss one important Champions League penalty is unfortunate, but to miss another [in the Final] using the same disrespectful, stuttering-run to gain an edge, is a sure sign that you’re a bottling little cheat. Such frailty belies greatness and confirms the view of many that the sooner you either acquire some humility, or sod off to Spain, the better.

Home truths as well, I’m afraid, and it is clear that the sporting gods also take a dim view of self promotion through overacting and, when someone like Didier Drogba oversteps the mark in this area of exaggeration, retribution may not be swift, but it always arrives, and at a cost. As Oscar Wilde might have said, to be petulant once or twice is unfortunate, but to carry it to extreme, and incorporate a slapping for show, is just plain stupid and can have massive repercussions. In this instance it was a red card and, more to the point, no place in the line-up to take penalties, bringing us full circle to John Terry and his stepping up to the mark - there was no doubting he would, was there? No, none.

Full circle is an apt phrase where our captain is concerned, as JT is nowhere near completing a full circle with the Chels [by my reckoning he’s about half way in terms of Premiership playing career], and, even though it really is in the lap of the gods as to what that circle encompasses, he has already achieved more than most players dare to dream of. The club continues on an upward curve along the Roman road and a place in the Champions League final is proof of the fact, despite no trophy this time around. I wouldn’t mind betting that we’ll be there again soon, with John Terry leading us to victory, and a glance at our youth team would tell anyone who cares to listen that, once we’ve won it once, it wont take us ten years to win it again - ask the sporting gods and they'll tell you....it’s just meant to be.

Nice post.

It's good to see that actually most of the press on Thursday weren't laying it on too thick. Certainly , the Times reported matters pretty accurately. It was also nice to see that most of the headlines had disappeared off the front pages of the newspapers sports websites by last night.

No question - JT did not bottle it. The slip was unfortunate and entirely the work of the fates. As were the two shots against the woodwork.

Better than my effort Dorset, by a long long way, but similar sentiment at least. icon_wink.gif

Maybe it's just me and the people I interact with, but I really haven't seen anyone being kind to him at all. icon_mad.gif

i was in a pub full of mancs tim, and most of the ones i know where all very sympathetic towards JT. they said they would rather someone else had missed, anyone other than jt or lamps. obviously the d**khead minority made themselves known too, but the ones i spoke to who were proper football fans knew how badly it must feel for jt, and had nthing but admiration for him. the media were always gonna hang jt, simply because they can sell papers with it. ignore them and realise that most intelligent fans respect JT and appreciate the pain he will be going through.

ignore them and realise that most intelligent fans respect JT and appreciate the pain he will be going through.

Contrast that with the pure nastiness, all that mongo stuff and so on, at that crap hole where RedRob hangs out. The JT thread there after Wednesday's game was among the most hate-filled piece of nastiness I've ever seen directed at any footballer ever.

It just baffles me how quick people, other fans, journo's all jump onto this badwagon and just take every ounce of a man's pride and crushes it into the ground. He missed the goal, saved a goal, almost made a goal. JT played his heart out in that game and you can tell he wanted that more than any of those mancs. it should have been Drogba taking that penalty, but with the courage he had, Terry took it. I have no bad feelings towards the man because he's done so much for this club and I hope he knows that us fans are all behind him.

His time will come again and when it does he'll make the most of it.

p.s. almost got in a fight on thursday some kid called JT "how Terr-ible was that shot!" I went up to him and yelled "at least we made it into the finals, when were you out..February" he was an arsenal supporter. Then i made a crying Gallas face and for the rest of the day we were at each other. icon_lol.gif

Great post Dorset.

I was remarking today that there was an incredible swing in the TV commentary that beggared belief and is probably reflective of all media coverage as a whole.

It goes like this:

120 mins up: 1-1.

'Nothing has separated these teams. Both have put on a fantastic display. You couldn't squeeze a ciggie paper between the two of them. Both deserve it.'

'Penalties are a cruel lottery. No reflection of what has gone before and no way to settle a match as gargantuan as this'.

Pens: MU 6, CFC 5

It's an incredible story! 50 years to the second after Munich! Who would begrudge these fine reds their day? What an amazing achievement for one of the world's greatest clubs! Truly is red square red tonight! Frankly, United probably deserved it overall. Fergie's best team ever! Blah blah blah...

Almost as if penalties aren't a complete lottery but, as you say, the will of the gods...

Journalists are, as a rule, just like those kids in the playground who will say whatever it takes to be in your gang, even it means completely over-riding what they've just said and looking like twats.

i dont care what the press say about JT, i dont care what fans of other clubs say about JT

because i know, JT will bounce back, bigger, better, stronger and more detemined to win than ever before

then the press will do what they normally do, move on and try and blead the life out of some other poor sod who did the best they could

todays newspapers tomorrows fish n chip wrappers as me dad used to say

I've been looking forward to your piece, Dorset, and it was well worth the wait.

The stuff I've read has been unbelievably vitriolic about JT, the main point being that his misfortune was brought on himself by thinking he was up to the task of taking a pen when he's just a journeyman centrehalf and being egotistical enough to want the glory, but also that he deserves such public failure and misery because he a complete w**ker and several degrees worse than Joey Barton and he spat at Tevez and it was his captaincy that cost England qualification etc etc

I know we are truly hated by many many fans out there but the stuff I've read (see the Guardian Sportblog responses) took me by surprise.

Hi Mike… did you see that self indulgent BBC 10 o’clock news on Thursday? They gave air time to a couple of United fans at an airport purely to let them snigger at JT’s misfortune. As the [so called] British Broadcasting Corporation [tell that to JT] they should set their national news standards at a far higher level than they are doing of late, although, amateurish Arsenal fans that they are in the main, there is obviously as much chance of change for the better as there is of them having a grown up attitude to reporting any sport without boring us with their own agenda. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Mike… did you see that self indulgent BBC 10 o’clock news on Thursday? They gave air time to a couple of United fans at an airport purely to let them snigger at JT’s misfortune. As the [so called] British Broadcasting Corporation [tell that to JT] they should set their national news standards at a far higher level than they are doing of late, although, amateurish Arsenal fans that they are in the main, there is obviously as much chance of change for the better as there is of them having a grown up attitude to reporting any sport without boring us with their own agenda. icon_rolleyes.gif

Frankly mate, the only media I've been taking since Weds night is this place which is why I have also got absolutely no work done this week!

It's lovely, warm and blue in here and I don't want to come out. icon_sad.gif

The response to JT has been very revealing. Fans who have no knowledge of what it is like in a high pressure environment such as taking that penalty are quick to jump on his back. Taking responsibility quickly becomes massaging your ego.

I haven't heard one ex-player lay into Terry, clearly if you have experience of that situation you are better placed to give judgement.

Oh and isn't this country so wonderfully negative, any opportunity to give a bit of lip to talent.

Journalists are, as a rule, just like those kids in the playground who will say whatever it takes to be in your gang, even it means completely over-riding what they've just said and looking like twats.

It's a shame we don't still have that 'most memorable' thingy - do we mods? Because if so, I would nominate this quote from Mike O.

Spot on Mike!

And contrast these arseholes with the graciousness (it has to be said, guys and gals) of Ryan Giggs after the game, who freely admitted that the difference between the two sides came down to a bit of luck/bad luck with a penalty kick in the end. Giggsy said that was all that had separated our two sides all season, and it was fitting that we had both reached the Final.

Oh and isn't this country so wonderfully negative, any opportunity to give a bit of lip to talent.

Indeed! It's because he's one of our own. Ronaldo's penalty miss has been totally forgotten, of course. 'The greatest player since sliced bread' totally fouled up his shot through crap judgement, not an accident of the turf. I bet Andy Gray didn't know where to put himself. w**k2.gif

(ETA: Thanks for the above, Loz)

AN ode for JT

A morning read in the Daily stun

Written by some Heartless C_ _ ts

Told the tale of the victorious Reds

of Fergie and his man-ure Dickheads

What would they write if we had Won

how that story would of been Blue fun

Now JTs a hero,a real ledge

if chelsea needed it, his life he'd pledge

cut out his heart,his blood would run Blue

He's Stamford Bridge thru and thru