Jeffrey Bruma learns from the best

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009...-and-john-terry

Chelsea Youngster Bruma Benefiting From Alex And John Terry Tutelage

The teenage defender is relishing the chances he has been given to train alongside some of the world's best defenders.

Little-known teenage defender Jeffrey Bruma has been making steady progress at west London giants Chelsea, and has recently been introduced to the training regime of the first team where he has confessed to learning from England captain John Terry, and Brazilian Alex, who showed with a series of strong performances last season that he is a top class reserve.

"The club has told me I will have every chance of playing for the senior team, which has given me a lot of confidence," Bruma is reported to have told the press.

"I talk every day with guys like Alex and John Terry. They say that I just must have patience, then take my chance when it comes.

"They tell me to train hard, harder than the others - and to do extra work after the regular training sessions.

"This is the way forward for me," he concluded.

John Terry is the last notable academy graduate, but the club have been making strides to bring through more youngsters, as Franco di Santo and Miroslav Stoch were introduced to regular cameo substitute appearances.

• 3 months later...

Given the evidence of last night he's learning well to. Our back four looked much better when he came into it second half against Blackburn. I was very impressed, he looked calm, assured and confident bringing the ball out, an excellent display despite the result. Definitely one for the not too distant future.

• 7 months later...

I know that this thread is a bit old, but I couldn't find any more recent to do with Bruma, other than the rumour of his loan. It looks like that learning is paying off, as he's just been given his first full dutch call-up. Great news for him, and I hope that he gets at least some time on the pitch.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2104911,00.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interview from Goal.com:

Chelsea Defender Jeffrey Bruma Wants First Team Football

Chelsea defender Jeffrey Bruma is considered to be one of the most exciting young defenders around in Europe and the 18-year-old has already represented The Netherlands at senior level. However, the centre-back is finding regular first team football hard to get at Chelsea and Bruma has now revealed to Goal.com that he could leave the Blues on a temporary basis to find first team action elsewhere.

"It's crucial to get regular first team action if you want to play for Holland's senior side. However, I've only made six first team appearances for Chelsea so far," said Bruma to Goal.com's Jesse Wieten.

"In the beginning, I was just happy to be part of the first team. I'm almost 19 though and I really want to take the next step in my career. I need to play first team football on a regular basis to do so.

"There are moments that the coach tells me that I won't play, despite having trained very well all week. That's difficult for me. They've told me that my time will come though and that I should be patient. That's probably the best thing to do.

"The national team coach has told me that I need to get more playing time and this has made me think about my direct future. I will evaluate my situation with Chelsea before Christmas and it's possibly better for my development to be farmed out on loan.

"Playing only two or three matches in several months is not good enough for me. I've played with the reserves for two full years now and I feel like I'm ready to play for the first team on a weekly basis. I do realize that I still need to improve certain areas of my game though."

LINK

Interview from Goal.com:

LINK

Hold your horses young man. I can understand his concerns but he's 18 and it takes time. Especially at a club competing for major honours.

His international manager obviously wants him to play regular football as it gives him more options. However that doesn't mean he's going to instantly walk into the first XI as soon as he's playing regularly. It's putting undue pressure on the lad.

A loan would obviously be the best option if at all possible, but the last thing we want to do is get into a similar situation we had with Stoch.

• 1 month later...