Lofty's Wall of Sound - What are you listening to?

Norman The Gambler
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Unlike most people back then, my interest in Thin Lizzy ended with the later, heavier stuff. This compilation of their early stuff was one I played to death:

41BaZajpzhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I bought every Lizzy album up to but not including live and dangerous.

Here's one from "Fighting":

Brilliant music Joe and Hutch. No, I wasn't celebrating Phil Lynott's birthday, I was having a sleepless night (une nuit blanche in French) and reminiscing on my favourite music of days of yore!

Here's another one;

I've only seen them live once, so I couldn't really say if it was a normal night for them, but all my mates who were there agreed with me that they were disappointing. The energy that I expected just wasn't there and some of the faster and "punkier"(I'm not sure if that's a proper word) songs just sounded terrible(sloppy clunky wall of sound). It was the first time I've went to see a band and have left early, but it was a Tuesday night, I had to go to work next morning and there wasn't any sign of them improving, so me and my mates decided we've seen enough and left before the encore. Just a few weeks after that I went to see Soundtrack of Our Lives at the same club and they reminded me of what a great rock gig sounds like.

Videos just don't do them justice, but here's one:

Love this band, not bought any of their stuff since their Debut Album. Any further recomendations?

Dogs are tremendous. Their "Turn against this Land" album is great. Will need to get some more of their latest stuff

Love this band, not bought any of their stuff since their Debut Album. Any further recomendations?

They've got some good stuff on all of their albums, but the most recent ones aren't as solid as a whole compared to the earlier ones. My favorites are the first one and the third one. So based on that you might want to check out Behind the Music. Here are the singles they released (couldn't find all the official videos, though, so linked to some live versions of those songs) from that album:

http://youtu.be/f36pp9_LFO4

There are some awesome songs on the later ones as well, though, so maybe you might want to check out the compilation they released at the end of last year(Golden Greats no. 1). Here's one from their latest studio album(it's on the compilation as well) that works really well live:

Cheers Maks, actually, Behind the Music is the one I have, so I need to find their first one.

If it's the first one you want to check out, then it's Welcome To The Infant Freebase you want.

Here are some of the singles released from that album:

Confrontation Camp was another single(the one I posted earlier and you quoted in the post above). Oasis ripped off elements of Confrontation Camp when they wrote Lyla and I can't remember which of the Gallagher brothers it was, but one of them admitted it. They were touring with The Soundtrack Of Our Lives back then and heard it just about every night and then they decided to use that song as the basis for Lyla. It's easy to hear, so maybe they figured they might as well own up. Just for comparison:

http://youtu.be/Vjg0HmQESB0

Currently listening to the new Foals album, Total Life Forever

Also the new M83 - Hurry Up, We're dreaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlfN8bqaw8

As well as their old, completely different, album - Dead Cities, Read Seas and Lost Ghosts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Td8OsRbJCM&feature=related

And just "purchased" the new Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Mirror Traffic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXmtCZULu8

Saw the man himself in Glasgow....one of the best gigs I've ever been to! Amazing musicians whomever is backing him

Didn't he have a penalty system in place for his backing band, which meant that if one of them made a mistake during a gig, that musician got a fine...(?)

Didn't he have a penalty system in place for his backing band, which meant that if one of them made a mistake during a gig, that musician got a fine...(?)

He was a perfectionist and disciplinarian, also known as the "hardest working man in show business". The musician didn't even have a mistake. From downbeat.com

When James came onstage, you didn't see anybody but James. Because the minute you didn't see him was the minute you got caught for not paying attention. When you saw him flicking his fingers, every fine was five bucks. I'm serious. But that was for you not paying attention.

Saw the man himself in Glasgow....one of the best gigs I've ever been to! Amazing musicians whomever is backing him

Must have been fantastic.

I can vaguely remember the massive excitement leading up to his Brixton shows (or maybe it was Hammersmith), but sadly never got to see him myself.

Edited by Hutch